Expectation for Ski Area & Trail Openings?
5 posts
4 users
1k+ views
JohnL
December 8, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
It would be interesting to find out what posters' expectations are for when Mid-Atlantic areas and specific trails should open to qualify as a normal season. An earlier opening would mean a good early season and a later opening would mean a poor early season. I'm not talking about what happened last year or when an area opened during an epic year or even what is posted as a typical opening date on an area's web site. Rather, what is your own "expected opening date?"

For me,
- 2nd weekend in December (11/12), able to do a day trip to either Seven Springs or Wisp, with 3+ top to bottom runs open.
- 3rd weekend in December (18/19), Whitetail open with two top to bottom blues open off the high speed
- Xmas week, at least 1-2 runs open on Castlerock, @ Sugarbush (VT)
- 1st weekend after New Year's in January - three top to bottom blues and Bold Decision and Exhibition open at Whitetail
- ~January 10 or so, Extrovert open at Blue Knob

So far, this year is looking to likely be 0-1 and maybe 0-2 if Whitetail can't open up terrain fast enough next week once consistent snowmaking temps arrive.

I'm not certain if my own expectations are realistic or not.
jimmy
December 8, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Very thought provoking, John. There is at least one question within the question. My early season experience has been limited to Seven Springs, Timberline and Snowshoe. It's hard to separate expectation from experience but I'll give it a try.

I expect Seven Springs to be open the first weekend of December, with a majority of the front face open being normal.

Timberline third week of December with Sally, White Lightning and Dew Drop open being normal.

Snoeshoe first weekend in December, with terrain served by the Ballhooter lift open being normal.

Conclusion, 03/04 goes down as a poor early season, DUH.

Jimmy
tromano
December 8, 2004
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Quote:

For me,
- 2nd weekend in December (11/12), able to do a day trip to either Seven Springs or Wisp, with 3+ top to bottom runs open.
- 3rd weekend in December (18/19), Whitetail open with two top to bottom blues open off the high speed
- Xmas week, at least 1-2 runs open on Castlerock, @ Sugarbush (VT)
- 1st weekend after New Year's in January - three top to bottom blues and Bold Decision and Exhibition open at Whitetail
- ~January 10 or so, Extrovert open at Blue Knob

So far, this year is looking to likely be 0-1 and maybe 0-2 if Whitetail can't open up terrain fast enough next week once consistent snowmaking temps arrive.

I concur. We are roughly 1.5 - 2 weeks behind schedule. But I am always amazed at the rates these resorts can make snow. Next week is goign to cold enough for an opening weekend on the 18th. Also there is a reasonable hope of a couple snow dat next week so that can't hurt.

I have to believe that 7s, Wisp, and the Shoe should be 70%+ open by XMAS with other resorts just a week or so behind.

Extrovert is usually mid-january. other than that... they usually don't get fully open with out some natural snow. Or to be more precise. You don't usually want to ski their open trails with out some fresh snow
langleyskier
December 10, 2004
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
looks like whitetail or lib wont have alot open on the 18th but i talked to a rep from roundtop and they say they may have up to 2 blues open!!!
JohnL
December 11, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
0-1 as of this weekend and Snowshoe only has greens open (besides the terrain park.) Ugh! Hopefully, Roundtop will be able to blast some snow this week and Whitetail might be able to crank up the high speed by next Sunday. :FingersCrossedIcon

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.