Ski passes
6 posts
4 users
1k+ views
SeniorSki
5 months ago
Member since 01/31/2022 🔗
139 posts
I could be way off because I don’t know all the restrictions on passes or how they really work. I’m guessing you can buy a 6 day pass and use anytime during the ski season except certain days as usual. This puts pressure on I have to use it or lose it. When to ski becomes an anxious decision. You take a chance that your area will have good season long conditions. WT for example is getting hammered yesterday and today. Wonder how many are pass holders? With the impending rain and warm weather coming skiers could be pressured into going now or not going at all. Most skiers check the weather continuously, they know what is happening down the road. Thought, if unused ski days could be carried over to the next season might help to elevate the stress of we got to go today. Just a bit of insurance when buying a ski pass. 
MarkRebuck
5 months ago (edited 5 months ago)
Member since 12/16/2020 🔗
33 posts

The last few seasons, I've done 4 or 5 day Epic Local Pass (restricted).  They work well for me because, 1) I don't like crowds so I only go weekdays and avoid the holidays, 2) The discount is pretty substantial (I think my 4 day pass this year was $45/day or something like that), and 3) It gives me a goal.

But there is definitely some "use it or lose it" action going on.  Last year, I kept thinking Whitetail was going to stop sucking, so I didn't use my days for a while, then spent them on a lousy Whitetail day, a lousy Liberty day, and two "meh" days at Jack Frost.  And the Jack Frost days were only because I happened to be up in Northern PA on some other business.

From what I can tell from chairlift chat over the years, not many folks do the N-day passes.  At least not the folks I see during the week :-).

I'm not sure what I'm going to do going forward.  The Epic Day passes are a pretty good deal when I think about it.  The bigger issue is just how borderline the conditions are at the nearest Vail slopes, and how they are just barely too far away for me to visit more often.  Not much I can think of that Vail can do to change either issue with lift ticket/pass options.

superguy
5 months ago
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

I bought the NE Value Pass last year.  I went 7 times and it wasn't worth it.  I could have spent half on day passes and had money in my pocket.  So that's what I did this year.

5 days, no holidays, the basic resorts which gets me everything I need around here.  Problem is the season's been crap and I've been sick and unable to go the few decent days we had.

I was planning on going up this weekend when it looked like Saturday was going to be snow instead of rain, but now it looks like the following weekend - after everything's been wrecked by rain all this week.  I'm starting to wonder if even buying 5 days was a bad idea.

It'd be nice if Vail would just let me take a credit for passes next year. I'm moving west anyway, so a day pass or 2 to Park City might be nice in addition to Ikon or a local resort pass.

SeniorSki
5 months ago
Member since 01/31/2022 🔗
139 posts

superguy wrote:

I bought the NE Value Pass last year.  I went 7 times and it wasn't worth it.  I could have spent half on day passes and had money in my pocket.  So that's what I did this year.

5 days, no holidays, the basic resorts which gets me everything I need around here.  Problem is the season's been crap and I've been sick and unable to go the few decent days we had.

I was planning on going up this weekend when it looked like Saturday was going to be snow instead of rain, but now it looks like the following weekend - after everything's been wrecked by rain all this week.  I'm starting to wonder if even buying 5 days was a bad idea.

It'd be nice if Vail would just let me take a credit for passes next year. I'm moving west anyway, so a day pass or 2 to Park City might be nice in addition to Ikon or a local resort pass.

I’m thinking a credit for unused days would go a long way for the industry. Less risk for a potential buyer, that might lead to more sales and a win for the skier and industry relationships. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
5 months ago
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,266 posts

SeniorSki wrote:

I’m thinking a credit for unused days would go a long way for the industry. Less risk for a potential buyer, that might lead to more sales and a win for the skier and industry relationships. 

 Have you checked out how Timberline handles lift tickets and credits?  An RFID card for lift access is also a "gift card."  If someone skis midweek for <4 hours then will get $10 + $10 credit after the lifts close that day.  The credit carries over into the future.  I know people who have used their credit two years afterwards. 

SeniorSki
5 months ago
Member since 01/31/2022 🔗
139 posts

marzNC wrote:

SeniorSki wrote:

I’m thinking a credit for unused days would go a long way for the industry. Less risk for a potential buyer, that might lead to more sales and a win for the skier and industry relationships. 

 Have you checked out how Timberline handles lift tickets and credits?  An RFID card for lift access is also a "gift card."  If someone skis midweek for <4 hours then will get $10 + $10 credit after the lifts close that day.  The credit carries over into the future.  I know people who have used their credit two years afterwards. 

That is the way to do it. Hats off to TL giving credits. I’m sure they will build a following. 

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?

Join the conversation by logging in.

Don't have an account? Create one here.

0.15 seconds