Old School! So Fun!
14 posts
5 users
2k+ views
Crush
3 months ago (edited 3 months ago)
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

Just got my Dynastar Inspired by Nobis 178!!! I am going to pull the AT bindings with a plug and re-drill and slap on some Look turntables. Bases are clear a litle marks but all good we'll get that on the Diamon Peak tuning shop and I'll save mucho dollars. We are getting a train of shots 5-10 inches over days looking good. Excited!  

1705179139_emmjqtdamzzy.jpg

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
2 months ago (edited 2 months ago)
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

How old school would you like to get?  How about making your own skis like Snowshoe Thompson.  Actually I didn’t make them, just repurposed them.  I made them from a swap sale snowboard without bindings ($30) and I call them junkboards.  Friends in VT were doing this to ski 2” of snow over grass and dirt in early early season when they didn’t want to risk good skis.  I mounted them with old telemark cable bindings from the early days and used Scarpa T3 boots.  It made an amazingly light and amazingly capable setup.  I used them many times at Whitegrass in October snow skiffs and a couple of times in spring on the mt. Washington summit snowfields.

THE RECIPE:   Cut the snowboard in half lengthwise making a straight cut.  C-clamp the halves together then use the metal edge of one half as a guide to make a matching side cut on the unfinished edge, using a jigsaw.  Drill clear holes for the bindings which will be secured with T-nuts.  Then machine a shallow flat in the holes 2-3 mm deep so that the T-nuts will be flush with the base.  I used 10/32 screws and T- nuts.  You can get a bit that will do that at any hardware store, just use a T-nut to explain what you want to a staffer.  Here’s how the finished product looks.  BTW they are great for noodling thru powder in the trees.  They parallel just as well as they tele.

1708396070_mvwtntqlvzjy.jpg

Crush
1,271 posts

Dear Sir,

I find your comments rather insulting and pandering and think you are deeply sick and in need of help from someone like me as an unlicensed mental health care non-professional, new-age/sound bath healer that had a dad as a famous psychologist. Since your are visitng me I have a comfy faux-leather couch and we'll need to examine your fixation for C-clamps, T-nuts, Drill clear holes, and worst of all 10/32 Screws.

Dr. (honorary) E Wackadoo Mosel  

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
2,337 posts
🤣. Thanks
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
2 months ago
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

@Denis -- I remember the classic split board report - are those still in service ?

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
2 months ago
2,337 posts
Hm.  I don’t remember the classic splitboard report, it wasn’t me.  They still make splitboards for the backcountry community.  They have bindings that can be turned forward so the user can skin up, then clip the board back together to ride down.  Never used one but I think it’s a great idea, although it hasn’t really caught on.  I’ve never seen anybody using one.  
GGNagy
2 months ago
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about a report involving the creation of a DIY junk split board and I would have sworn it was Denis who posted it. Maybe we are both thinking about someone else??  

pagamony wrote:

@Denis -- I remember the classic split board report - are those still in service ?

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
2,337 posts

I think I did once mention the junkboards and using them on a spring mt. Washington trip, but they are not a splitboard.  I’ve never used or even seen a splitboard.

Splitboarding 

My concern would be the robustness of the clips that put the board together for descent.  IMHO they would not stand up well to hard snow and chatttering.  In other words pretty much limited to soft snow in the backcountry.  In NASA terms the clips are a ‘single point of failure, i.e. if it fails there is no plan B.  

wgo
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Maybe thinking of this thread? Some good discussion about junkboards in there:

https://www.dcski.com/forum/47690

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
2 months ago
2,337 posts

wgo wrote:

Thanks for finding and posting that.  Had no memory of how long and detailed it got with multiple questions and replies.  I hope others may find it useful.

GGNagy
one month ago
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts

Bingo! I think that was the thread. Of course, who knows what was in the even earlier thread!

Denis wrote:

wgo wrote:

Thanks for finding and posting that.  Had no memory of how long and detailed it got with multiple questions and replies.  I hope others may find it useful.

Crush
one month ago
1,271 posts
Yesss CEO!
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
one month ago
2,337 posts
Crush
one month ago
1,271 posts

Damnit did you really have to post that! Bet!

Denis wrote:

More on splitboards 

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?