Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
3 months ago
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
snapdragon
3 months ago
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts
squaw valley...site 1960 winter olympics...first open day for kt-22...first few runs into the day...i got paywalled on the link...couldn't confirm fatality but massive search is on...thoughts to all affected...crazy
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
3 months ago
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
Crush
3 months ago (edited 3 months ago)
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

Yeah I saw that - given the wacky weather here I am sure T.G. Met. (temperature gradient metamorphism) had a role in this.

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

Avalanche on KT-22. One reported dead:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/tahoe/article/avalanche-palisades-tahoe-ski-resort-18600767.php

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

A fatality unfortunately, plus other people injured.  Was in the KT-22 area.

1 killed, 3 injured in avalanche at Palisades Tahoe ski resort, California officials say - Jan. 10, 2024

teleman
3 months ago
Member since 07/8/2005 🔗
186 posts
Makes me want to buy a beacon and wear it while skiing out west.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
3 months ago
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

teleman wrote:

All of the instructors I've worked with more than once out west wear a beacon in-bounds.  The one who lives in NC and spends the winters teaching at Alta puts it on when he leaves his apartment for the drive up LCC.  He and the others have mentioned the idea to me in the last few years now that I ski 80% off-piste when the snow is good during trips to big mountains.

Haven't used it yet, but did research and buy one during the summer.  The basic models are a lot lighter and smaller than even a few years ago.  My primary ski buddy has had one for a while.  The other ski buddy who retired more recently is using what he bought a couple years ago for a trip to Japan.

Crush
1,271 posts

I'd highy recommend getting a beeper. Gosh the new ones are so much better than my old Otovox F1. Trick is if you go down you need to be skiing with others that have the same or else your survivablilty rate drops. You don't have to be back-country for this to happen. This is not the first time I've heard of this in-bounds I remember at the former The Canyons it happened in a controlled area. If you are interested there are many avi-aware classes you can take.

teleman wrote:

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
 I was watching the local news eating my breakfast yesterday when the news came in.  I immediately texted my grandsons because they were planning to be there and they love KT, the ‘mothership’, best lift in N America.  They decided not to go so all was well.  Yesterday was the first time it’s been open this season so it hadn’t been skier packed and of course they can’t groom it, too steep, Rocky, cliffy.  I asked if they had Recco devices and they all, my daughter too, have them.  They are sewn in to pretty much any ski jacket made in recent years.  They are passive devices about the size of a band aid that reflect radio frequency at a frequency free of other interference that will penetrate 20 feet of snow and 1/4 mile of air.  A beacon is still needed to find the precise place to start digging.  I always wore my beacon in bounds at big mountains with avi terrain. 

Recco originated in Europe about 20 years ago.  Now 950 US ski areas can do Recco searches.  An entire field of avi rubble can be scanned quickly to get a count of buried people and their approximate locations.  

Mountains always have the last word.  Frail humans do not, and despite our best knowledge we can be caught.  The mountain doesn’t care how long you have wanted a powder day, or to add a bragging right run to your resume, or how much time, trouble or money it cost you to be there.  

Here is my best resource for the Sierra,  sierraavalanchecenter.org  
there are similar centers around the country including Colorado, Utah, the Cascades, and mt. Washington.
Crush
3 months ago
1,271 posts
Recco definitly works. High advise on getting that into your gear!
ZARDOG
3 months ago
Member since 10/25/2020 🔗
177 posts

Hi Crush, Paul Ramer invented a beacon. He invented Zardoz NotWax. 

https://wildsnow.com/26497/ramer-echo-avalanche-history/

Weather is much stranger from my past years. 

David S. had extensive training in avalanches. He showed me how much to learn.

Be well out west. 

Zardog 

KC3YFZ  Kilo Charlie Three Yankee Foxtrot Zulu 

"I passed the FCC Exam" 

Crush
1,271 posts

... and another one in-bounds. Thankfully no one was caught. I just know the weak layers under the heavy recent snow and the warm start are the cause. This one appears to not be skier-triggered (clearly) it just rolled. In 2021 Park City Mountain closed the 9990 back country gate because that one that goes into Dutch's Draw was the most deadly avi-prone gate in Utah. I remember Lance Brevard and I skiied that on a heavy day and I said "man, we can't go past the saddle that is where you will die for sure." Some places are just too tricky and I'd rather not be ground into mush with a big slab one. Like one ski patroller said (he recovered a body) "it's like a trashbag filled with red jello". Not for me nope.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article284147018.html

davwilley
3 months ago
Member since 12/28/2023 🔗
15 posts
I heard there was another avalanche reported after deadly Palisades Tahoe incident
bob
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts

Same topic - differnt state ---

Colorado Avalanche Center has advised people to stay away from all avalanche terrain in the state -- with over 500 slides reported so far.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?