Timberline vs Canaan Valley with high winds?
10 posts
7 users
1k+ views
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
4 months ago
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,250 posts

I'm headed to Davis to spend a couple nights early next week, driving from Massanutten.  The idea for me and my friend (from DC) is to ski Timberline.  Looks like there will be a lot of wind on the second day.  Which is better with high winds, CV or Timberline?

For CV, I have the Indy Pass.  My friend is a cautious intermediate.  She has never skied at CV.  Her first experience at Tline was last January.  She loved it.  The plan is to ski the second morning, have lunch, and then head back to Massanutten.

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
4 months ago
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
I suspect the heavy duty lift at Timberline will be better uphill, and several slopes might have a little more tree protection, not sure about overall aspect.  Real problem might be not many slopes open at CV.  
mdr227
4 months ago
Member since 01/11/2016 🔗
193 posts
Was at Timberline one time in the late 90s I think it was and it was nearly 60 degrees here in the DC area in late March, but had a good winter storm going on in Tucker County so drove up for the day.   Rode up to the top and my wife and I were going down Salamander for a warm up run and were hit by so much wind as much of the trail faces NW which is the direction of the wind often.   It was so bad I pretty much had to push and pull my wife down the trail as she wasn't good at skating on her skis.   Took us nearly an hour to get down.    At both resorts most of the slopes face North and Timberline's runs have better tree coverage on the Western side so if the wind is from the West or Northwest then Timberline would be the better bet plus it has the quad to the mid-station which is much more protected should winds get really bad.   Of course as pagamony says Timberline has so much more terrain open compared to CV that would make it a slam dunk to go to TL for me.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
4 months ago
3,250 posts

Thanks for the info!  Makes sense about the tree protection for Timberline trails.

I remember being in the wind at the top with the old lift.  Very glad that's not an issue with the current high-speed 6-pack.

padjaski68
3 months ago
Member since 01/21/2016 🔗
96 posts
I agree Timberline will have more open, but last turn back to the base is insane with the windy on Salamander.  HSS handled the winds that day very well. CV needs more terrain open to fun, hopefully tomorrow's storm might provide some help. Enjoy the freshies!
snapdragon
3 months ago
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts
regardless of the winds...which were substantial this past thu...the six pack performed flawlessly....more importantly the line has a soft serve ice cream machine...yew!
Bird Dog
3 months ago
Member since 10/19/2022 🔗
29 posts

Both Snowshoe and CV/T have wind advisory warnings coming very soon.....

50-60 mph wind gusts make skiing a challenge (miserable) and may shut down lifts completely.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
3 months ago
3,250 posts

Had a good time at Tline this morning.  Was raining by 11:00 though.  My travel/ski buddy is not up for a full day of skiing anyway, so we were only planning skiing for under 4 hours.  So we'll get the $10 credit for a short day plus another $10 credit for skiing midweek.

Have decided not to deal with the cold and winds tomorrow.  We'll check out a few places in the area we haven't been to and then head back to Massanutten.  I'm there through MLK Day.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
3 months ago
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
I have been blown backwards at ‘windy corner’ on Salamander, and blown off to the side of the trail when leaning snowboarding.  CV has better wind shelter and the meadows collect powder.  They are often not open but one can get there without actually ducking a rope.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
3 months ago
3,250 posts

Denis wrote:

I have been blown backwards at ‘windy corner’ on Salamander, and blown off to the side of the trail when leaning snowboarding.  CV has better wind shelter and the meadows collect powder.  They are often not open but one can get there without actually ducking a rope.

We felt the wind at the top of Salamander on Tuesday morning.  I took it as a last run in the early afternoon since the chopped up snow on the blues and blacks were too much work in the rain.  More wind.  Made the decision to skip skiing on Wednesday morning an easy one.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.