Camelback Tickets for Age 70+ ?
7 posts
6 users
1k+ views
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
4 months ago
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
779 posts

I was looking at the online one-day ticket pages for Camelback today in anticipation of a visit this season. Listings of ticket prices cover "All Ages, 6-69". Skiers age 5 and under ski free.

There are no listings that I can find for ages 70+, a matter that will soon become relevant for me. So ... ? Is skiing at Camelback free for ages 70+? Or are 70-year-olds at Camelback like snowboarders wishing to visit Mad River Glen VT?  

Woody

Scott - DCSki Editor
4 months ago
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts

Hi Woody, congratulations on your upcoming milestone.

Hmm, that's a good question.  At one point in time (e.g., see this story from 2016), Camelback did provide free or very discounted lift tickets for skiers 70+, although I can't find any current information on that, so that may no longer be the case.  As you probably saw on their web site, they have a reference to a new Senior season pass for ages 65+, but there's no Buy Now link, unlike with the rest of their season passes.  So that's odd.  (Maybe they limited the number sold?  Which doesn't seem likely -- seems like maybe a web site glitch.)  A press release from February, 2023 referenced the 65+ Senior Pass as being $75, although that was likely early bird pricing.

And you're probably not interested in a season pass, anyway (unless it really is free, in which case that works just fine as a one-day lift ticket).

I suspect they have a heavily discounted lift ticket for 70+ skiers, and don't show that age option when you go to buy a lift ticket because of either (a) a bug on the web site, or (b) they require you to purchase it at the lift ticket window so they can see your ID. (b) seems most likely, but their web site could be clearer about that -- along with the price!  (b) could also be an explanation for why they don't have a Buy link for the 65+ season pass.

This will probably require a call to them to straighten out.  Their number is 855-515-1283.

On a related note, I believe Blue Mountain (also?) provided a free senior season pass for ages 70+.  However, they don't appear to be offering that at the moment, so that may have been restricted to a certain quantity as well.  Their on-line store lists it as "no longer available."

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
4 months ago
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
Boomers are one of the largest demographics. Maybe ski resorts can't afford free senior tickets anymore.
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
4 months ago
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
779 posts

Scott wrote:

… [snip]

I suspect they have a heavily discounted lift ticket for 70+ skiers, and don't show that age option when you go to buy a lift ticket … 

This will probably require a call to them to straighten out.  Their number is 855-515-1283… (snip)

Thanks for the detailed background information and the suggestion to call Camelback, Scott. Very helpful!

I called this morning and learned that tickets for those who’ve left their sexagenarian years behind (i.e., ages 70 and older) can go to guest services, show an ID 🪪 and purchase a ticket for $10.

Yay 😀 Camelback! 

Woody

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
4 months ago
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,250 posts

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

Boomers are one of the largest demographics. Maybe ski resorts can't afford free senior tickets anymore.

I've seen more than one ski area say that for senior tickets they can't be bought online.  I assume the reasoning was having to show an ID that proved age before issuing a senior ticket.

The age cut off for free or discounted tickets has ranged from 60 to 80 for years.  Depends a bit on the region.

Alf Egen of Alta said long ago that 80 would be the requirement.  The average age of the Old Wild Bunch seniors seems to be about 75.  Meaning those who ski pretty much every morning when the road isn't packed with powder hounds or closed.  Although a few just plan to take the bus together instead of driving when there is snow on the road they don't feel like dealing with.

itdoesntmatter - DCSki Supporter 
4 months ago
Member since 01/17/2007 🔗
158 posts
Something to look forward to in a few more years.  
SeniorSki
4 months ago
Member since 01/31/2022 🔗
139 posts
Subject that I believe would benefit ski areas but what do I know? 

Canaan offers the best deal for seniors in the area, 65 plus 30 bucks, 70 plus free. Might even be able to get a few dollars more off if you ski on Tuesday, Food bank day, not sure of that though, combined discounts. 

This area is great skiing when they have everything open and lots of snow. However they need a lot of snow to get everything open. 

As for seniors, most of us have been skiing for years pumping money into the industry. Now that we are older we don’t ski as long and generally on a fixed budget. 4 hours is plenty for me. Plus we will have a tendency to spend more in the lodge, food and beverage. When I was younger with limited funds, we would ski all day but wouldn’t pay 15 bucks for a so, so burger. Always would pack or eat on the way home. Attracting senior skiers could help the bottom line with dollars in the bank not percentages. 

How many seniors ski at local resorts? 
Is it really a big number? 
Seniors generally ski in larger groups, more dollars. 
So an attractive lift ticket policy for seniors would be a win situation in my humble opinion. 

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.