So, powder is for wussies, the piste is boring, and moguls are for crazy people.
18 posts
10 users
2k+ views
Crush
7 months ago (edited 7 months ago)
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
Thoughs? I actually have arrived at the feeling that powder skiing is kinda boring perhaps because I have done a lot of it and it is like "blah blah blah" now. I think Glen Plake said (paraphrasing here) would you rather ski 2 feet of fresh powder on a big old boring heli bowl or would you rather ski 2 feet of fresh powder on a bump run? I think even at my age I choose bumping. Or making perfect carved turns. People have always told me I am a wackadoo so feel free to trash-talk me.
needawax
7 months ago (edited 7 months ago)
Member since 04/19/2019 🔗
36 posts
I'm getting up there, so I prefer powder bumps as opposed to tracked out bumps - softens the blows.   nice carved turns on a groomer also.  never been a huge fan of skiing on simply 2' of pow - but I'm primarily a northeast skier, so keep that in mind.  just my two cents.
Moe Gull
7 months ago
Member since 09/5/2022 🔗
37 posts
Get a snowkite?
Crush
7 months ago
1,271 posts

What is that?!?! Oh like the kite-boarding where it pulls you and you get propulsion from it? Tooooooo many trees in Lake Tahoe but not a bad idea!

Moe Gull wrote:

Get a snowkite?
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Crush
7 months ago
1,271 posts

💯✅ 2 cents = $100K in my book.

needawax wrote:

I'm getting up there, so I prefer powder bumps as opposed to tracked out bumps - softens the blows.   nice carved turns on a groomer also.  never been a huge fan of skiing on simply 2' of pow - but I'm primarily a northeast skier, so keep that in mind.  just my two cents.
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
7 months ago
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
I guess you don’t ski the local MA mole hills much where powder is scarce. At 70 I am taking less risks. Old geezer injuries can be hard to recover from. Once you are sedentary as an old geezer, it can be hard to recover. The limited common sense that I have obtained in my 50 years of skiing has kept me virtually injury free ( knock on wood) with exception of a dislocated shoulder. Bumps with pow can be fun. Rock hard east coast bumps are no longer fun. I like my knee ligaments the way God gave them to me. We have nothing to prove to anybody at this age.
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
7 months ago
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts
I feel like it's more fresh snow vs old snow.  I take fresh everytime on any run.  I mean, are you really going to turn down 2' of fresh ??
JohnL
7 months ago
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Crush wrote:

Thoughs? I actually have arrived at the feeling that powder skiing is kinda boring perhaps because I have done a lot of it and it is like "blah blah blah" now. I think Glen Plake said (paraphrasing here) would you rather ski 2 feet of fresh powder on a big old boring heli bowl or would you rather ski 2 feet of fresh powder on a bump run? I think even at my age I choose bumping. Or making perfect carved turns. People have always told me I am a wackadoo so feel free to trash-talk me.

Powder bumps suck, crushawackadoo. 😆 Though with two feet of fresh, same as a boring Heli bowl.

False choice by Plake.

Two feet in steep trees or undulating terrain, yeah baybee! Or with mini ledges and drops, woo doggie.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
7 months ago
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
I’ve been all of those things and have the memories and surgical scars to prove it.  Nobody has yet mentioned backcountry, earn your turns.  If the snow is halfway decent I’d happily trade 10 days of lift served for 1 day of backcountry.  It is a fact that unless you are an extraordinary athlete it takes a lot of miles of skiing to develop the range of skills needed for backcountry.  And, that means riding lifts.  Nevertheless - - -.
ZARDOG
6 months ago
Member since 10/25/2020 🔗
177 posts

Hey Crush,     

No Bumps for me now. Hip Implant restricted.

The risk is if the left leg is high on a bump and the other leg and body are low, the angle of the joint can cause it to dislocate.

The surgeon used a larger ball and socket to increase racing angles. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I like the unforgiving surface, never a dull moment.  Powder what is that?  Like my fast food 1 time a month, when you taste it, feels good. 

I have never been to Tahoe.  

All the best 

Zardog 

Crush
6 months ago
1,271 posts

try to be honest lol - yeah tree skiing still gives me a thrill but not always the good time!

JohnL wrote:

Crush wrote:

Powder bumps suck, crushawackadoo. 😆 Though with two feet of fresh, same as a boring Heli bowl.

False choice by Plake.

Two feet in steep trees or undulating terrain, yeah baybee! Or with mini ledges and drops, woo doggie.

Crush
6 months ago
1,271 posts

Dog! 

I am so lit you are still doing it! Keep turning and making it real! Ruh Roh channeling Pat Benatar "no promises no demands" !

ZARDOG wrote:

Hey Crush,     

No Bumps for me now. Hip Implant restricted.

The risk is if the left leg is high on a bump and the other leg and body are low, the angle of the joint can cause it to dislocate.

The surgeon used a larger ball and socket to increase racing angles. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I like the unforgiving surface, never a dull moment.  Powder what is that?  Like my fast food 1 time a month, when you taste it, feels good. 

I have never been to Tahoe.  

All the best 

Zardog 

Crush
6 months ago
1,271 posts

Denis! damn you for never hooking up at Kirkwood ha ha maybe we can make some turns together in the 2023-2024 season looks like we might have a number of dumps where N > 10 ?

E-

Denis wrote:

I’ve been all of those things and have the memories and surgical scars to prove it.  Nobody has yet mentioned backcountry, earn your turns.  If the snow is halfway decent I’d happily trade 10 days of lift served for 1 day of backcountry.  It is a fact that unless you are an extraordinary athlete it takes a lot of miles of skiing to develop the range of skills needed for backcountry.  And, that means riding lifts.  Nevertheless - - -.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
6 months ago
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Thanks E.  I feel your passion for the upcoming season.  As for me; ‘If wishes were fishes’ - - - or something like that.  A second hip replacement coming soon.  After that?  Better chance for getting together for a beverage or two.  
djop
6 months ago
Member since 03/18/2002 🔗
343 posts

So ... ice in steep trees or on mini drops, even wooier doggie?

JohnL wrote:

Crush wrote:

False choice by Plake.

Crush
6 months ago (edited 6 months ago)
1,271 posts

Too much drama for me bonne_chance[ ((ice+trees)*age) ].toString().toLowerCase() === 'hospital';  

You however have a thrill-issue and I suggest kicking a$$ in there!

djop wrote:

So ... ice in steep trees or on mini drops, even wooier doggie

chaga
6 months ago
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts
talking about skiing is way more exciting than actually skiing for me! 
Crush
6 months ago
1,271 posts

When I crash-and-burn talking about is way more exciting for me!

chaga wrote:

talking about skiing is way more exciting than actually skiing for me! 

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.