Recommended Goggles
11 posts
6 users
2k+ views
queenoftheslopes
December 6, 2004
Member since 11/15/2004 🔗
143 posts
Does anyone have any recommendations on a good pair of goggles that will fit a smaller face, in a reasonable price range? I have been looking for a new pair of goggles, but most that I have tried on are way to big on my face...covering from my forehead down past my nose. The only pair I have found that fit well cost $150 -- I just cannot justify that price for a pair of goggles.
snowcone
December 6, 2004
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Unfortunately most of the better fitting goggles are in the higher price range. I recently spend $120 for my 2nd pair of Oakley A-frames and don't begrudge the money a bit. You didn't say whether you wear a helmet or not.
  • Good goggles fit well thereby preventing gapes between top of goggle and the helmet.
  • Sizing of the A-frames is more specific to a smaller face. I don't feel like I'm swimming in them and they are very light and comfortable.
  • I have a pair of regular Oakley's and my new pair are the Oakley High Intensity Lens .. worth their weight in gold here on the East coast. They are marvelous for overcast days, skiing thru blowing guns, and any less than optimal conditions.
  • You are protecting your EYES! No price is too high for that, IME. I have had my older pair for 5 years. Pro-rated that's $22 a year for top quality eye protection.
  • Better defogging in higher end goggles.
  • A good goggle will last a long time. The Oakley A-frames hold up amazingly well.. no scratches and only the strap has stretched a bit (went from hat to helmet), and that's easily replaceable.
TerpSKI
December 6, 2004
Member since 03/10/2004 🔗
167 posts
Queen:

Velvet makes goggles specifically for women and Ski Center carries them (at least they used to).

Also the Oakley A-Frames are on the smaller side and can be had for $69.95 (for regular low light lenses) or $99.95 (for high light Iridium lenses) at Ski Chalet in Arlington.

They also have some Spy goggles which are for smaller faces.

I was just there today & picked up a pair of the A-Frames. Nice, and a lot less than I was prepared to pay.
comprex
December 6, 2004
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Briko M.O.Z.A.R as found here is thinner top-to-bottom than about anything else, if that is the dimension you're primarily concerned with. Rooly Nimble, Rooly Eagle, Briko Proms and Galactics are all to look at, too.

If you're worried about top-to-bottom AND side-to-side, look in the junior aisle. The prices will generally be lower, too. (I am actually envious here, as it entirely possible her head might fit the Fischer junior helmets with the Flash Gordon styling!)
queenoftheslopes
December 6, 2004
143 posts
Thanks to all for the advice! If anyone else can think of other options please let me know!

Quote:

If you're worried about top-to-bottom AND side-to-side, look in the junior aisle. The prices will generally be lower, too. (I am actually envious here, as it entirely possible her head might fit the Fischer junior helmets with the Flash Gordon styling!)

I have finally been convinced to find a helmet as well, which has also been quite the tramatic shopping experience.
The junior helmets are just a little too tight, and the adult helmets are way to big. (SIGH!) The only option I can think of is to get the larger helmet and add some extra padding.
comprex
December 6, 2004
1,326 posts
Squots, if you can wear a separate helmet liner without massive hair volume problems you certainly should- they are a lot easier to wash! I use a super-thin bicycle helmet liner , and even that packs out the helmet almost half a size. The thicker helmet liners like OR makes can make up for almost a full size.

So, questions:
How many of your helmet fit troubles stem from the -shape- and not size of the helmet?
How much does your hairstyle dictate helmet sizing?

You do know to try helmet and goggles simultaneously, yes?
queenoftheslopes
December 6, 2004
143 posts
[quotes]How many of your helmet fit troubles stem from the -shape- and not size of the helmet?
How much does your hairstyle dictate helmet sizing?

q1: hmmm, some of it was shape, I suppose. For example, I tried on two different shapes both 56 in... one was way to tight the other was a little big. When I was looking for helmets at the Ski Expo last month, I think the sales guy there even gave up on me. (sigh)

q2: my hair is staight, and if styled, I only straigten it further. For skiiing, I sometimes put it in a low pony tail at the base of my neck, so that shouldn't effect the fit.

Quote:

You do know to try helmet and goggles simultaneously, yes?

haha, of course. Although, I will wear a regular hat some days, but I guess I can wear my old goggles for that.
snowcone
December 7, 2004
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Have you tried on the Giro Nine series? I find the level of adjustment in this helmet is better than average, plus they are warm, very light, and are designed to be worn with goggles. Giro has done bike helmets for years so their systems for correct fit are really good. This model seems to fit my small head better than most other manufactures/models and has lots of adjustment options.
PLUS if someone is looking for a Christmas present to buy you, they can get the addon ear flaps with built in speakers for tunes on the slopes!

BTW .. I am -really- glad to see you opting for a helmet. I was bullied into mine by my hunny. But now, after being taken out a couple of times, I won't ski without it.
comprex
December 7, 2004
1,326 posts

I think part of your trouble is that the selection in most of the shops is actually very limited. 2,3 maybe 4 brands, few models of each, and few sizes/colors in each model. When I was pushing the GF to start wearing helmets, we went through all the usual suspects of Giro 9/Jofa/Leedom/Ovo/Carrera, driving from Pro-Fit in Leesburg through all the DC shops, up to Glen Burnie and Columbia. She finally ordered a Salomon Mach 2 from Canada (the only helmet that didn't squish her head front to back and allowed a ponytail) and drove out to Lexington Park to find goggles that fit.
langleyskier
December 7, 2004
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
I have 3 pair of okley goggles but definitely the best pair is the one i have now the wizard goggles. they have a snug fit but are a base price of about $85
Ullr
December 30, 2004
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Go with the Marker goggles. They are the best on the market and will never fog!!!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?