7 Springs
16 posts
11 users
2k+ views
tskski
December 4, 2004
Member since 03/13/2003 🔗
122 posts
Just checked the webcams, they're making snow!
SpringsRegular
December 4, 2004
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
153 posts
RobertW
December 4, 2004
199 posts
Unfortunately, it looks like most of this will end up back in Lake Tahoe before long. The long range forcast for 7 Springs calls for lots of rain this coming week and temps way above freezing, even at night. It looks like 7S will not see any real cold until next Saturday Night when the forcast finally calls for an extended stretch of real winter weather. I would expect they will open sometime around the 16th. This bodes well for The Springs at Laurel Mtn. as they should also be open on their target date of Dec. 18.

7S started to make "serious snow" Thanksgiving Day. Here is a picture I took of the Wagner Slope on the saturday following.

Hope to see you at the springs soon!
Ullr
December 5, 2004
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
Yea, I had planned on going on the 17th, But I have pushed it back till after the 1st of the year.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
janej
December 5, 2004
Member since 09/20/2004 🔗
42 posts
I organized a large group ski trip at the 7 Springs checking in Dec 23. I am getting a little unesay. Will they have still problem for Christmas week?

Thanks,

Jane
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 5, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Quote:

I organized a large group ski trip at the 7 Springs checking in Dec 23. I am getting a little unesay. Will they have still problem for Christmas week?

Thanks,

Jane

For this week, ski resorts will have to contend with a vicious warm front that will bring rain and warm temperatures, but the 11th-17th looks excellent for snowmaking--very cold temps. 7 Springs can really crank out snow if it gets cold temps. This resort helped pioneer snowmaking and relies on air/water guns--guns that can make snow at warmer temperature than the airless fan guns that most resorts in the area employ. I would not worry too much about your 23 December trip--they should have enough terrain open for your group to have a good time.
RobertW
December 5, 2004
199 posts
As long as the weather turns cold as predicted, The Springs should be in full operation by the 20th. 2 years ago, my daughter and I skied the whole front side and the North Face slope after 60 hours of snowmaking on the day after Thanksgiving. The year before that, it did not turn cold until December 20. They were in full operation (except for the "gladed areas") by the 26th. If it is cold, they won't let you down.
Roger Z
December 5, 2004
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
As an aside, I just wanted to thank everyone that's been posting photos of the snowmaking at the different resorts. Great job! These pics have been great to look at...
janej
December 5, 2004
Member since 09/20/2004 🔗
42 posts
Thanks for the information. I feel better now. We were at Timberline last year after Christmas. We skiied in the rain. We got so wet that we had to go back to dry our stuff in the dryer. Still had lots of fun. But that was just my family. This time we are going with almost 100 people. Where do you guys check for long term forecast? I use Yahoo weather. It only gives 10 days. It is really depressing to look at right now.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
December 5, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Go to Accuweather.com, enter your zip, or a town such as champion, pa and you can get a 15 day forecast. Cold air is coming.
The Colonel
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
December 5, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
More weather info. Vist the site of Herb Stevens the skiing wetherman. He will make you feel better about 7Springs Christmas Week.
The colonel http://www.skiingweatherman.com/weather.php
mrhazmat
December 5, 2004
Member since 12/7/2000 🔗
47 posts
"Don't worry, be happy". Awhile back I also booked a trip for the XMas timeframe, and as of the 17th (Dec) they still were not open. However, in just 8 days they had almost everything open. Phenomenal!! Anyway, going to be there 2-5 Jan and do not want to eat my words.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 6, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Quote:

Thanks for the information. I feel better now. We were at Timberline last year after Christmas. We skiied in the rain. We got so wet that we had to go back to dry our stuff in the dryer. Still had lots of fun. But that was just my family. This time we are going with almost 100 people. Where do you guys check for long term forecast? I use Yahoo weather. It only gives 10 days. It is really depressing to look at right now.

Accuweather.com
snowcone
December 6, 2004
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Long term, with a modicrum of accuracy in MidA, is one week max. Outside of that, you either need to anti up for one of the subscription weather sites such as Accuweather (so-so accuracy) or Snow Forecast ( better). The most accurate (70% or so) long term is WXRisk (best), but he deals in the big weather systems not local conditions. Another forecaster for skiing is the Skiing Weatherman but he seems to concentrate on New England and anything on MidA is kinda of after the fact.

OR ... you can just check Scott's info here on DCSki . http://www.dcski.com/weather/index.php
AnyaK
December 6, 2004
Member since 10/31/2004 🔗
9 posts
i've got a trip planned for the 16th - 19th, a small group of intermediate and beginning skiers. We do have a 24 hr cancellation policy if they aren't open, but I'm wondering if they are open at all, will the trip be worth it? What slopes are likely to be open first?

Thanks,
Anya
RobertW
December 7, 2004
199 posts
This is just my speculation and observation from over the 30 or so years I have skied there...it certainly is not any official statement.

Generally they open slopes in the following order:
Wagner/Stowe/Fawn Lane
Tyrol/Avalanche (and nearby trails)
North Face Slope
Giant Bolder/Giant Steps/Lost Boy
Alpine Meadows/Gunnar/Lost Girl

If the latest forcast holds, it looks like Monday Night (Dec. 13th) would be the first full night of snowmaking. If the temperature does not creep above 30 or so during the day, they could possibly have the front face mostly open and North Face Slope by the weekend.

Again, this is just a guess....Tune in this time next week to see if they are cranking the HKD's.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?