1,986 posts
THis just in:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SNOWSHOE MOUNTAIN KICKS OFF
31st SEASON OF WINTER FUN

Snowshoe, WV - Snowshoe Mountain, West Virginia's largest winter resort,
opened for its 31st season today with a 12 - 36 inch base on the Snowshoe
Basin area. The Pocahontas County resort opens for the 2004/2005 winter
season with the most alpine skiing terrain available in the region.

When the ropes dropped at 9:00 am more then three hundred people took
advantage of Snowshoe's four trails and two lifts; including the newly
re-vamped Spruce Glades Terrain Park's Beginner Area, part of Snowshoe's $6
million capital improvements made over the summer. Lift tickets from
opening day until Thursday, December 9 have been reduced to $25 for Adults,
Seniors and Students and $15 for children under 12.

Recent cold temperatures and over 200 hours of snowmaking in November and
December allowed Snowshoe Mountain's veteran snowmakers to create a great
base for Opening Day.

"The cold temperatures since the Thanksgiving Weekend were exactly what we
needed to get the season going," says Ed Galford, Vice President of
Operations at Snowshoe Mountain. "After that we put snowmaking in high gear,
it didn't take our snowmakers and groomers long to get the slopes ready!"

The snow guns will continue to make snow on trails at the Snowshoe and
Silver Creek areas, as weather permits. The Silver Creek area is scheduled
to open December 16th.

This season will be the biggest and best yet at Snowshoe Mountain Resort
with new events, restaurants and lodging facilities. Snowshoe kicks off the
winter event season with the Winter Celebration and Demo Days next weekend,
December 11 and 12. Don't miss this fun weekend filled with live
entertainment, on-slope games, the Village Rail Competition and FREE
equipment testing from top ski and snowboarding manufacturers.

For more information on Snowshoe Mountain's events along up-to-date slope
conditions and weather information go online at www.snowshoemtn.com
<http://www.snowshoemtn.com> or call toll free 1-877-441-4FUN.

###
kennedy
December 3, 2004
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Get this, I was reading the News section of Snowshoe Underground (Snowshoe's terrain park website). This year to get into the park you must have a Park Pass!!!. It doesn't cost extra but to get it you must watch a video about park safety and etiquette. I think it's a great idea but I wonder if younger rippers (ski and board) will heed it or not.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 3, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Quote:

Get this, I was reading the News section of Snowshoe Underground (Snowshoe's terrain park website). This year to get into the park you must have a Park Pass!!!. It doesn't cost extra but to get it you must watch a video about park safety and etiquette. I think it's a great idea but I wonder if younger rippers (ski and board) will heed it or not.

Don't blame it on Snowshoe; blame it on lawyers and liability suits.
snowcone
December 3, 2004
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
<rant on>
Probably they will pay squat attention to the video .. and then what happens? If they don't play nice in the terrain park are they relegated to the regular slopes with the rest of us? Why not make the video mandatory for EVERYBODY ... ski or board. I have seen any number of skiers and non-park riders that could sure do with safety instruction. I also think SS should beef up their courtesy patrol and not be afraid to pull passes for those that disregard basic slope safety.
</ rant off>
jimmy
December 3, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Way to go, snowcone! Good for snowshoe for being proactive. It's hard to know the rules of courtesy and ettiquette until someone makes a point of explaining them. I know the skier's responsibility code isn't a secret but some days i'd think it was.
kennedy
December 3, 2004
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I think largely it's a culture thing. So many kids think it's a rebellion to be stupid and do what they want. It's something that I think is perpetrated in magazines and movies too. It's funny, I used to buy snowboard magazines in Europe like Onboard and White Lines where the focus is on interviews with the riders most of which came off as pretty chill and courteous. Has anyone here ever "read" Transworld Snowboarding or anything similar. It's 99% ads. So what happens is you get so many groms coming into the sport, and I mean both boarding and skiing, who believe that this is how they are supposed to be. A group of numb brained morons with no idea of what is considered normal. The fact is snowboarding, skating etc. are not alternative sports anymore, they are mainstream and becoming more so every year.
jimmy
December 3, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Sometimes the vigilante approach is unavoidable. I rarely see safety patrol doing much in the way of behavior modification in W Va or 7 Springs. Few years back I was @ Timberline w/ my cousin and uncle, who's definitly a "veteran guy". Cuz and I stopped halfway down Upper Dew Drop to wait for Uncle. We were watching a guy making tele turns pass by and decided to keep waiting to let him clear out a little bit. Just after he got by and uncle looked up before he stopped, we see a teener on i think they're called snow blades, in a tuck and screaming, straight-lining dew drop. He by the grace of God threaded the needle between uncle and telemark and finally exploded just before he went into the woods. Cous said watch this and we lagged behind Uncle and telemark.

Uncle got to teener first, helped him up, determined he was not injured and gave him safety code frontwards and sideways. Just when that was finished, telemark, who didn't see teener coming got there and gave it to him again. They were gentlemen about it, but they both got the point across. Funny thing about this, the next day at Snowshoe, Uncle got busted by two young ladies for jumping line. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

jimmy
Roger Z
December 3, 2004
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Snowcone- probably nothing happens. Sounds like a liability thing. Now if someone gets hurt in the snowpark Snowshoe can say "we did everything we were required by law are therefore not libel." It's like sexual harrassment training at work. The company lays the rules out so if you say anything stupid they can't be sued whether you paid attention to the video or not.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?