Helmet storage/display
14 posts
7 users
2k+ views
wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
January 3, 2023 (edited January 3, 2023)
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts

I'm looking for ideas on storing my ski helmets and my hockey helmet. Ideally, I want to put them where they can be seen in my basement. I'm curious if any DCSkiers have their buckets displayed in a way that works for storage and aesthetics.

I also have a matching hockey helmet I wear for broomball which I wind up doing a lot more than skiing. In total I have 4 ski helmets - 2 "Penn State" helmets and my kids matte black helmets.

1672800498_sanokjjrljfy.jpg

That's from a few years back - I have since added a clear face shield to the hockey helmet. I normally keep the goggles in their case too.

Grumpy dad
January 6, 2023 (edited January 6, 2023)
Member since 11/7/2021 🔗
144 posts

What an interesting and odd topic :)

Funny because I've always wanted to build an ultimate ski/gear rack.

My idea was, put little chalkboards up and anyone that visits, can put their gear in 'their' locker for the weekend while skiing at my place.  

I originally thought about at a MINIMUM, having a cubby for helmet, gloves, hat, face condom, and then a separate bulk area for skis/boots to be shoved into.

Still not sure what my answer is as Im doing a ton of construction right now.  I have a side entrance that is a cold room, where people could put skis but no one wants to keep their boots in a cold area so, and having all those skis/boots in my front entrance area wasnt optimal either.  

So I thought about a bench type thing with coat rack and a cubby for helmets/gloves etc.  Near the entrance, and then a rack to put in the closet for skis/boots with the other half our personal coats/gear (ski or non ski related)

GOOGLE "Ski Gear Cubby Bench" and you'll see TONS of pictures like what IM thinking about.

wfyurasko wrote:

I'm looking for ideas on storing my ski helmets and my hockey helmet. Ideally, I want to put them where they can be seen in my basement. I'm curious if any DCSkiers have their buckets displayed in a way that works for storage and aesthetics.

I also have a matching hockey helmet I wear for broomball which I wind up doing a lot more than skiing. In total I have 4 ski helmets - 2 "Penn State" helmets and my kids matte black helmets.

That's from a few years back - I have since added a clear face shield to the hockey helmet. I normally keep the goggles in their case too.

January 6, 2023
353 posts

Grumpy dad wrote:

GOOGLE "Ski Gear Cubby Bench" and you'll see TONS of pictures like what IM thinking about

Some good options, alas I don't really have the room. Or at least I haven't optimized for it. Maybe someday.

Crush
January 6, 2023 (edited January 6, 2023)
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

... or ditch the helmets ... read this: "Agreement amongst most experts is that helmets are most effective when collisions happen at speeds < 15mph. Unfortunately, as we all know, most intermediate and advanced skiers/snowboarders travel at much faster speeds. This, therefore, increases the risk of head injury even if wearing a helmet."

This later 

" ... The recent studies we’ve looked at do not show substantial statistical benefits to wearing a helmet. However, the correlations, even though marginal, do show a reduction in injury since most skiers and snowboarders have started wearing helmets. It is broadly agreed that a helmet won’t make a huge difference when someone is faced with blunt trauma to the head. However, there is no evidence that a helmet would make a concussion or blunt trauma worse. ..."

source: https://www.wintersportscompany.com/ski-and-snowboard-helmets/#:~:text=Agreement%20amongst%20most%20experts%20is,even%20if%20wearing%20a%20helmet

wfyurasko wrote:

Grumpy dad wrote:

GOOGLE "Ski Gear Cubby Bench" and you'll see TONS of pictures like what IM thinking about

Some good options, alas I don't really have the room. Or at least I haven't optimized for it. Maybe someday.

snapdragon
January 7, 2023
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts
since wearing a helmet i have yet to be contused by the chair bar coming down...so there
January 8, 2023
353 posts

snapdragon wrote:

since wearing a helmet i have yet to be contused by the chair bar coming down...so there

Now that I think about it, I might have had a bump or two on the chair.

I like the helmet, it keeps my head warm and seems to keep my from hurting myself on the type of falls I seem to make. The customization is fun too.

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
January 8, 2023
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

wfyurasko wrote:

Sorry, I see nothing attractive, or even as a man cave object de artes about displaying a helmet. I have antique wooden skis and even a pair of the old Kneisel “Big Foot” on display. But helmets, I hang on the back of my dressing room door. Nothing sexy or even macho about a helmet. 

Anybody who thinks a helmet makes no difference, take a hammer and hit your head with the helmet on. Then take your helmet off and hit your head with same force. Did it hurt? Bingo.

I’d imagine the wifey is not too keen on helmets as decoration :<)

superguy
January 9, 2023
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts
Never worn a helmet. I wear goofy hats though.
January 9, 2023
353 posts
Not really any opposition to helmets as decoration -- they'll be in a laundry room. When we were renting, I had them on a shelf behind my desk and a few people complimented them during conference calls.

I think I'm just going to put some hooks in the rafters.

As for the helmet, I'm a fan. It keeps my head warm better than anything else I've used and I'd rather it be gliding on the Mid-Atlantic hardpack than my head. Plus, I enjoyed customizing it (along with my hockey helmet) though that's pretty easy as a Penn State alum. Have I encouraged broomball teammates from Ohio State, Notre Dame and Michigan to do the same? Of course, I have! If my cousin's husband would get back into snow sports, I'd customize him an Univ. of Arizona helmet too.
Grumpy dad
January 10, 2023
Member since 11/7/2021 🔗
144 posts

I picked up a sweet protection mips helmet. It's a nice helment, and offers up nice protection.  Sweet protection you might even say.

superguy
January 10, 2023
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

Anyone know what happened to Mental Gear for their goofy hats and helmet coverings?  The website went dead and it's hard to find their stuff in stores unless you buy used.

Were they a COVID victim?

March 20, 2023
353 posts

I went with a simple solution. I need to switch to a broomball cage on the hockey helmet - one of these days...

1679341204_jbuwftxmhvcr.jpg

Grumpy dad
March 21, 2023
Member since 11/7/2021 🔗
144 posts

That's certainly an option I considered.  Right now I have these little brass hooks with the straps hanging off of them. Between snow and bike helmets we probably have 12 helmets hanging.  

I might go with a wood peg thing.  

wfyurasko wrote:

I went with a simple solution. I need to switch to a broomball cage on the hockey helmet - one of these days...

1679341204_jbuwftxmhvcr.jpg

chuck_wow
March 21, 2023
Member since 01/14/2023 🔗
54 posts

I have mine hanging prominently on a nail in my basement.

wfyurasko wrote:

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?