Massanutten
6 posts
3 users
1k+ views
SeniorSki
December 20, 2022
Member since 01/31/2022 🔗
139 posts
Wow they got open in a hurry, kudos to the snow team. 
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 20, 2022 (edited December 20, 2022)
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,245 posts

SeniorSki wrote:

Wow they got open in a hurry, kudos to the snow team. 

Essentially unlimited water supply after building a 2.5 mile pipeline from the valley, plus spending a lot of money on big fan guns over a decade makes a bit difference in the long run.

FYI, here's the thread I'll be posting in for Massanutten this season.

Massanutten 2022-23

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 20, 2022
3,245 posts

Both Massanutten and Bryce are finalists for the HKD contest for snowmaking teams for 2023.  Voting will be for a couple weeks in January after the videos are posted.

I AM A SNOWMAKER

SeniorSki
December 21, 2022
Member since 01/31/2022 🔗
139 posts
My bad missed the thread already started. 

Massanutten is sort of unique. Has that high elevation bowl that seems to trap in cold air for a longer period of time and it is east facing. I amazed how fast they are up and running, 8 trails. Hopefully the rains will stay away? 
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 21, 2022 (edited December 21, 2022)
3,245 posts

SeniorSki wrote:

My bad missed the thread already started. 

Massanutten is sort of unique. Has that high elevation bowl that seems to trap in cold air for a longer period of time and it is east facing. I amazed how fast they are up and running, 8 trails. Hopefully the rains will stay away? 

Actually, Bryce in more in a "cold sink" than Massanutten.  It was founded in 1965, several years before Massanutten.  While the Kettle faces east, most of the trails are north facing.  Being in the Kettle means that most of the trails are not sun exposed for very long.

The changes at Massanutten in the last 10-15 years have been quite significant.  It became my home mountain around 2005.  They started major upgrades around 2006 after the indoor/outdoor waterpark was fully operational.  That included replacing two old lifts and starting to upgrade snowmaking infrastructure annually.

HVdad
December 25, 2022
Member since 01/9/2018 🔗
94 posts
I really do think we need just one more Massanutten thread..., can never get enough of that Massanutten. ;-)

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.