WinterGreen?
17 posts
8 users
4k+ views
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
December 14, 2022
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts
Anyone have any updates on Wintergreen? Still showing lots of GREEN on the cams. Any word if they are going to try to open a slope for the holiday? Tubing slope looks good so maybe there just going or just live off all the "green" they will make there.
December 15, 2022
499 posts

I could see snow making on the cams this morning. Hoping for some holiday boarding:)!! 

Update from the website:

Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Snowmaking Update

The snowmaking team was able to resume snowmaking last night and the slopes are starting to be covered in a blanket of snow. The team will be on standby with promising temperatures in our 10-day forecast. SNOWPOWER, our fully automated snowmaking system, takes advantage of every opportunity when temperatures permit. Over the summer, 16 of the world’s most advanced fan guns were added as well as improvements to the overall system allowing for maximum efficiency and better precision. The mountain will be a winter wonderland before you know it. Keep an eye on our website and social media for updates on opening day as snowmaking progresses over the next 10 days.

December 19, 2022
499 posts
All my web cam stalking paid off!

***Opening Day Announcement***
We are excited to announce that the 2022-23 ski season opens on Tuesday, December 20! We will open with normal operating hours, 9am-5pm. Night skiing will start on Thursday, December 22nd.

wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
December 19, 2022
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts
I've never been to Wintergreen, but I'm willing to try it. How does it compare with other ski areas within 3 hours of Alexandria/DC? I've skied Massanutten, CV, pre-perfect T-Line and Blue Knob. I ski 1-3 times most winters. I'm usually on blues and some blacks.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
December 19, 2022
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

I say try it.  When it is fully open and bluebird on a weekday it is terific.  Weekends are a zoo with those from Richmond, Norfolk, and DC.  The highlands express lift is 1k vertical of 'black diamond' runs that can be a lot of fun and the Acorn lift is good for change of pace where Tryo is a great blue run for chasing your kids.  On the downside, it's on the wrong side of the Blue Ridge and gets minimal natural snow and the resort is a total condo jungle.  Generally, the rule is don't drive south to ski. 

wfyurasko wrote:

I've never been to Wintergreen, but I'm willing to try it. How does it compare with other ski areas within 3 hours of Alexandria/DC? I've skied Massanutten, CV, pre-perfect T-Line and Blue Knob. I ski 1-3 times most winters. I'm usually on blues and some blacks.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 20, 2022
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,245 posts

wfyurasko wrote:

The advantage of Wintergreen over Massanutten is that the Highlands has a high-speed lift for black trails only.  These trails aren't nearly as steep as the blacks at Timberline.  The disadvantage is that there are no lights there and you have to ride another lift to get back to a parking lot.  On weekends, the line for the other lift can take 15-20 min even in the late afternoon.  From a driving standpoint, note that Wintergreen's "base" is at the top of the mountain so mountain driving is required.  A lot less than driving in WV though.

Personally, from DC I would drive to Timberline instead of Wintergreen.  But keep in mind I drive past Wintergreen to ski at Massanutten.  For either Tline or Wintergreen, Sunday is much better than Saturday.  There is a reason that non-property owners can't get a season pass for Wintergreen that includes Saturdays 9am-4pm.

Keith_Moon
December 20, 2022
Member since 02/19/2019 🔗
204 posts
I would skip Wintergreen unless the Highlands are open, unless you can go on a weekday.  The main lift is more crowded than Ballhooter.  Unfortunately, they really do get the shaft weather-wise most of the time 
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 20, 2022
3,245 posts

While Wintergreen has a lot of snowguns and a 5 million gallon water tank, in recent years they have run into water supply constraints when daytime snowmaking could be possible for 3-4 days in a row.  That can mean it takes a bit longer than you might expect to build a base that can withstand the inevitable warm days in Jan and/or Feb.

oldensign wrote:

I could see snow making on the cams this morning. Hoping for some holiday boarding:)!! 

Update from the website:

Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Snowmaking Update

The snowmaking team was able to resume snowmaking last night and the slopes are starting to be covered in a blanket of snow. The team will be on standby with promising temperatures in our 10-day forecast. SNOWPOWER, our fully automated snowmaking system, takes advantage of every opportunity when temperatures permit. Over the summer, 16 of the world’s most advanced fan guns were added as well as improvements to the overall system allowing for maximum efficiency and better precision. The mountain will be a winter wonderland before you know it. Keep an eye on our website and social media for updates on opening day as snowmaking progresses over the next 10 days.

December 21, 2022
499 posts

Anyone know what trails are open for night skiing (when they are open for that)?

Tried to figure it out on the website...but like all things Wintergreen it was confusing. 

wgo
December 21, 2022
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
The Highlands pod is NOT lit for night skiing. Everything else is, except for tyro off the Acorn lift.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 21, 2022
3,245 posts

I generally check the Wintergreen Mountain Blog for updates about what's open or anticipated openings.

https://www.wintergreenresort.com/Blog/

wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
December 23, 2022
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts
Thanks for the feedback everybody. The only place I have driven south to ski is Massanutten.

I'm not opposed to going all the way to Wintergreen, but from what it sounds like, I probably don't need to rush down there. I'm unfortunately not in the position to be a Mid-Atlantic ski area completist yet.
rusty
February 8, 2023
Member since 02/4/2023 🔗
9 posts
Have gotten a few different answers so thought I would ask here. Does anyone know if you can uphill travel at wintergreen? 

My friends called and they said "sure I guess just have a pass" but there is no explicit policy stated on their website. Makes me hesitant to commit to go and then get kicked out or something. 
Shotmaker
February 9, 2023
Member since 02/18/2014 🔗
180 posts

rusty wrote:

“Have gotten a few different answers so thought I would ask here. Does anyone know if you can uphill travel at wintergreen?”

Uphill is available at Silver Creek (Snowshoe). $20 a day or $75 for the season. Open till 9:00 nightly & you can access non lighted runs with a headlamp. 

wgo
February 10, 2023
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Ok that's pretty cool

Shotmaker wrote:

Open till 9:00 nightly & you can access non lighted runs with a headlamp. 

February 14, 2023
499 posts

Wintergreen was nice today. The Highlands is open but only one trail. Good coverage on what is open but nothing on what is not. Looks like they tried on a few spots and gave up. 

Of course, mid-week skiing is always nice. I find Wintergreen unwelcoming and a zoo on the weekend. 

rusty
February 15, 2023
Member since 02/4/2023 🔗
9 posts
I uphill Silver Creek on the weekends but that is too far for a quick midweek session. Wintergreen is only 45 minutes from me but I have never skied there. The cost of the pass just doesn't make sense. 

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?