Timberline is Making Snow
19 posts
9 users
2k+ views
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 1, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
I heard it from a good source at the mountain that the guns are going!
bawalker
December 1, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Yeeeehawwww!

John does this mean we are having a campout at your condo for opening day?
December 1, 2004
1,986 posts
Quote:

Yeeeehawwww!

John does this mean we are having a campout at your condo for opening day?

Not unless you pay our assesment bill.
bawalker
December 2, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I confirmed it via Timberlines webcam that they are making snow at 1am. The lights are on and it appears to be several inches near the snowguns already on the ground. I can't be for sure since it is night out... but their cam is well worth a very encouraging look and being that it's 23*f up there... let the SNOW FALL!!!
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
tromano
December 2, 2004
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Still blowing snow at 8:53 AM. Looks good for TLine.

One thing... I looked at both 7S and Wisp webcams this morning as well. 7S has some flurries that dusted their front side. But there doesn't seem to be much new snow on their cams. Its hard to tell from some of the angles though. The stowe and wegner slope cams seem to to show some snow maing activity on those slopes. At this time I can only see one gun working at 7S on their fawnlane webcam. Their website is reporting 29F temps. Where are the guns?

There is a dusting at wisp as well and there seems to be some fresh snow made on their magic carpet served trail on the front side. However you can see the damage caused by last weeks rain in other areas where the snow has melted almost completely away.
jimboc
December 2, 2004
Member since 03/30/2004 🔗
260 posts
remember - its all about the wet bulb temp
Lietmotiv
December 2, 2004
Member since 12/31/2001 🔗
113 posts
Hey John, Do you have a link to the Snowmaking article that you or someone else wrote on this site? I am too lazy to find it.
December 2, 2004
1,986 posts
Quote:

Hey John, Do you have a link to the Snowmaking article that you or someone else wrote on this site? I am too lazy to find it.

That article is now a Q&A:

http://www.dcski.com/faq/view_faq.php?faq_id=10&mode=headlines

I want to thank Doug Clayton, the webmaster at Timberline, for his efforts in getting the Timberline web cams going. I talked to him on the day he installed those cams, and I must say, I'm really impressed with the camera angles he chose. Those shots truly convey how a small Mid-Atlantic resort can become a "force of nature" once temps start dropping.

These cams will increase traffic to the Timberline site exponentially, and hopefully create more business for the resort.
bawalker
December 2, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Where is the second webcam gonna be located at??
December 2, 2004
1,986 posts
There's one cam for now. In future, who knows, maybe one at mid-station and on the summit. It will be up to Doug and the T-line management to make that call.
bawalker
December 2, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Too bad Timberline wouldn't put up a vote for say... 4 possible places and then let the winner select it. I'd like to see a second cam at...

1.) Summit on the Thunderdraft chairlift giving a nearly 300* view from the salamander, down off the side of the mountain and over to where that new trail is gonna start.

2.) Mid station giving views of riders unloading and panning around to Dew Drop, Upper Almost Heaven, and Thunderstruck.

3.) Over on the Winterset condos looking up the mountain where the new trail is at, out towards the turn and looking up where dew drop is coming off of, and down by the tunnel.

4.) Attached to one of the buildings looking up towards the lower dew drop terrain park.

5.) And EVERYONE's favorite place... the pumphouse.
Lietmotiv
December 2, 2004
Member since 12/31/2001 🔗
113 posts
Quote:

There's one cam for now. In future, who knows, maybe one at mid-station and on the summit. It will be up to Doug and the T-line management to make that call.

We have to deal with Line of site issues as well as power issues. There was an idea of mounting the 2nd cam on a snowmobile and have it act as a roving webcam. Ok, that was mostly my idea. Not sure the camera can take the brutal vibrations. Otherwise we may toss it on midstation. It'll probably be determined during the early season.
Rickh
December 2, 2004
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts
I vote for the Summit. Sitting in my office watching the snow fall would make the day a little more bearable!!!

As for making snow, WE NEED SOME COLD WEATHER!!!
December 2, 2004
1,986 posts
If you look at the cam now, you'll notice that the slope lights are on--that would imply that the snowmakers will be out again tonight. Temps tonight should be good.

PS As people probably suspect, I keep the Timberline webcam window minimized on my desktop at all times. I love it and check it VERY frequently.
ski_guy_59
December 2, 2004
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
I don't know if the pumphouse is the best idea. It'd be hard for people to argue they acidentally slid that way when the tape shows them prepping for the rooftop!
Chad
December 3, 2004
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
Quote:

PS As people probably suspect, I keep the Timberline webcam window minimized on my desktop at all times. I love it and check it VERY frequently.

i am now doing the same. they've been moving the camera around this morning. and every view has looked just great. if they can keep it up through the weekend the december 9th opening would seem to be all set.
Rickh
December 3, 2004
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts
It does look great, I also have the web cam up. But, early next week doesn't look promising rain Monday and Tuesday!!! But, turning colder after!!!!!!
tommo
December 4, 2004
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
The lights and guns were on all night and at 9:30 this morning (Sat) the guns are still going strong from summit to base!!
December 4, 2004
1,986 posts

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.