Advertisement - Sale at Sports Authority
12 posts
8 users
2k+ views
twin58
December 1, 2004
Member since 04/1/2000 🔗
198 posts
Scott, if this message has crossed the line into the realm of spam, I won't complain if you delete it.

OK. Sports Authority has a full-page ad on page A22 of the Wednesday, December 1, _Washington Post_. The ad claims that that some ski and board equipment will be on sale from 6 p.m until midnight tonight. For example, some bindings, skis, boots, and boards will be selling for $99.99. Other items are also available. Not only that, but there's a coupon good for $20 off on purchases of $100 or more, so if you buy a pair of shoelaces along with your skis, you can take even more money off. So fish those first sections from the Metro trash cans.

I do not work for Sports Authority or any manufacturer of snow-type equipment. I post only in the belief that the information may be helpful to listers. Maybe there's nothing special about the prices at all. I don't know.

Best wishes.
comprex
December 1, 2004
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
I'm going to go look in. Not interested in packages, want to see if they have XL Salomon Screamer helmets. The Potomac Mills shop is kind of dead for winter stuff.
twin58
December 15, 2004
Member since 04/1/2000 🔗
198 posts
Sports Authority is having another sale today, this one from 9 a.m. until midnight. If you spend $200 or more, you can use the coupon on page A26 of today's _Washington Post_ to get $30 off. Included are skis, boards, boots, helmets, gloves, and items throughout the store in general.

I went to the sale two weeks at the Potomac Yards store. The stock of skis was a fraction of its former size. I was surprised to see Burton boards at Sports Authority. To my amazement, those Burton boards were made in Poland. I guess the hockey sticks are Canadian, but even Sorels, the iconic Canadian snowboot, are made in China now.
comprex
December 15, 2004
1,326 posts

Not all SAs are created equal; I expect we're seeing the rump end of what's available in CT, say.

Anyone have feedback on one SA over another in the DC area (specifically for Snowsports)? At one time, they were actively recruiting folks to work at their shops, even as late as the DC Ski Expo.

Only 2 Galyan's in the area, but feedback on those may prove useful too.
ski_guy_59
December 15, 2004
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
They run great sales, especially in Florida. I bought a Columbia jacket three weeks ago for $50 less than the label price. I was told it was the normal price for a jacket in Florida. Go figure!
Roy
December 16, 2004
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
Only buy from SA if you know what you're purchasing.

I had a lesson last year (beginner, never ever skied before) and the salesperson suggested she buy skis 170 in length, 180 for her son, and 160 for her partner. In other words, don't take the salesperson word for anything.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 16, 2004
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Did you get the junk mail the other day announcing the launch of a sale at Galyans because they were being bought out by a company named Dick's Sports? I thought the Galyans at Fair Lakes was a very attractive store, but never seemed busy enough to justify the huge building.
kennedy
December 16, 2004
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Yeah I was there last night. That acquisition was announced a while ago as far as I recall. Dicks is pretty big apparantly, I think they have a store in Sterling. Anyway I love Galyans in so far as they carry a huge range of products and in the board department their staff are pretty knowledgeable. If you are a member of their rewards program they offer great deals every quarter. Usually they will send out a coupon for $ depending on how much you spend. I got a coupon a couple of years back and got $75 off a new Burton Canyon (when the canyon was top of the line)
shearer519
December 16, 2004
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
149 posts
Dicks is a pretty big company. It's headquartered in Pittsburgh and has stores all over the place. I have never been to Gaylans but from what I hear they are both pretty similar. I think they both been fighting each other for the last few years for the upper hand and I guess dicks won out in the end. I always like shopping at dicks for sporting goods, they usual have pretty good prices and an excellent selection. Although when it comes to skiing equipment I still take my business to the ski store.
comprex
December 16, 2004
1,326 posts
Quote:

Only buy from SA if you know what you're purchasing.

I had a lesson last year (beginner, never ever skied before) and the salesperson suggested she buy skis 170 in length, 180 for her son, and 160 for her partner. In other words, don't take the salesperson word for anything.

Or the shop's, too true. The irony here is that, for the 1998 Dynastar Outlands I saw in the rack at Potomac Yards SA last night ($80!) that may have been the proper sizing!!!!

(I have horror stories about the gear still for sale in the bike department. I will painfully restrain myself.)
comprex
December 16, 2004
1,326 posts
Quote:

Although when it comes to skiing equipment I still take my business to the ski store.

Good policy. We are already in danger of large manufacturers stopping sales to the LSS because they compete with product already placed at the box store.

Before you scoff, take a look at what happened in the inline skate market, and count the number of skate shops (inline or ice) in the DC area.
Ullr
December 16, 2004
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
We have had Dick's here for a few years and just got a Galyans last year. Sorry to tell you all that Dick's Sucks (no pun intended). Galyans was much better. Dick's carries no winter sports equipment, no hiking or camping equipment, and no apparal for children. Unless you golf or fish, you will hate Dick's.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.