Corridor-H Pics are HERE!
14 posts
9 users
2k+ views
bawalker
December 1, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Here is an album on webshots.com that I created from pictures I took back in September of Corridor-H. These are only of the Wardensville-Baker section showing photos of areas and images you all normallywouldn't see when driving on the old road.

ENJOY!

http://community.webshots.com/album/225436302FkrmtN
TOMF
December 1, 2004
Member since 11/17/2003 🔗
60 posts
The pictures are great, as are your captions! Thanks for sharing them with us. The curvature of the McCauley bridge is something else.

Tom
snowcone
December 1, 2004
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Great work! Looks like you had a beautiful day to take the shots. Also looks like most of the route is finished and just waiting on the bridge completion. Can't wait to drive it! Next season, right?
JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 1, 2004
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Agree, the images are terrific. The McCauley Bridges are very impressive. Remind me of a famous elevated, curved section of the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina near Grandfather Mtn.
SeaRide
December 1, 2004
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
Great pics. I just came back from my cabin in the foothills near Moorefield last week. I brought my GPS and did the tracking on the Corridor-H hwy from Baker to Moorefield. I put the "tracking" marks on the topo map and the aerial photo on my home computer. If you want, I could try post the images somewhere for you guys to check it out.
From what I learned so far, there are two highest elevation on the Corridor-H (between Baker & Moorefield) which is ~2160-2180 feet thereabout.
Wardensville sits at between ~980ft to ~1090ft depending on where in Wardensville on rt55/259.
I have made the waypoints for the new McCauley Bridge and the new Lost River bridge which portray how it may look on the map between Baker and Wardensville.
The distance between the McCauley Bridge and the Lost River bridge is about 3.45 miles as the crow flies.

NICE PICS!
tromano
December 1, 2004
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Wow! The road seems to be very well designed and impressive. Thanks for the inight with the beautiful pics and excelent captions.
bawalker
December 1, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I would DEFINATELY love to see the information regarding elevation you collected. Speaking of which, where can I get a wristwatch that does elevation?

I'm interested to know elevation in the following spots:

- Baker at the Corridor-H intersection
- On the highway behind East Hardy High School before reaching the two concrete bridges.
- At the Luxemburg Road intersection
- At the top of Branch mountain (after riding that looooooooong stretch to the top)
- Criders Store/North River Road intersection
- At the huge bridge outside Moorefield.
- At the East Moorefield Exit
-Downtown Moorefield.

I am glad everyone really is enjoying the photographs. The day was TOO PERFECT back in September not to take them. So I spent 4 hours driving around and biking to different parts of the highway getting pictures when no one was around. I plan to get more pictures up asap.
snowcone
December 1, 2004
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Get yourself a Kestrel 4000 ... see here ... http://www.nkhome.com/ww/4000/4000.html#

Its got altitude and whole bunch of other weather related goodies. We have one we always keep in the car ... it goes where ever we go, skiing, biking, kayaking, you name it. Its an awesome toy! Its a bit pricey but earns its keep really quickly.

Since it also allows you to track altimeter (barometer) changes you can make educated guesses as to pending weather conditions. Required equipment for wandering off the beaten track.
rmcva
December 1, 2004
Member since 01/28/2004 🔗
187 posts
Thanks for the great pics - keep us updated.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 1, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
I forgot to mention that I really loved those pictures of Corridor H. You should do a photo essay about it for DCSki one of these days.
bawalker
December 1, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Thats a little too rich for my blood. My computer business hasn't reached the Microsoft level... yet. Although I'm mainly interested in just a watch with altitude readouts. I'd love to draw up a linear map showing how driving from Winchester, VA to Canaan Valley increases vertically.

Quote:

Get yourself a Kestrel 4000 ... see here ... http://www.nkhome.com/ww/4000/4000.html#

Its got altitude and whole bunch of other weather related goodies. We have one we always keep in the car ... it goes where ever we go, skiing, biking, kayaking, you name it. Its an awesome toy! Its a bit pricey but earns its keep really quickly.

Since it also allows you to track altimeter (barometer) changes you can make educated guesses as to pending weather conditions. Required equipment for wandering off the beaten track.

SeaRide
December 1, 2004
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
Quote:

I'm interested to know elevation in the following spots:

- Baker at the Corridor-H intersection
- On the highway behind East Hardy High School before reaching the two concrete bridges.
- At the Luxemburg Road intersection
- At the top of Branch mountain (after riding that looooooooong stretch to the top)
- Criders Store/North River Road intersection
- At the huge bridge outside Moorefield.
- At the East Moorefield Exit
-Downtown Moorefield.

I have put some images on for you to view including the elevation details along Corridor H.
http://community.webshots.com/album/225873950iDJIYX
Lietmotiv
December 2, 2004
Member since 12/31/2001 🔗
113 posts
Are there any updates on what got complete? The Corridor-H website is out of date. Are their any new segments open that weren't open last season?
bawalker
December 2, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Unfortunately no. The only segment that is open is the Baker to East Moorefield exit. While 75% of the highway is complete from Wardensville to Baker, the bridges aren't finished and the Wardensville interchange hasn't been started. Unless something drastic changes it may not be till this time next year before the section opens.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?