SnowShoe Trails?
18 posts
10 users
3k+ views
bawalker
November 30, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Which snowshoe trails will be open on friday? I've seen several pics of trails getting hammered with snow but i'm not sure what trails those are. I'm thinking about taking some beginners to go riding with and I don't want to throw them on the tough trails.
Chad
December 1, 2004
Member since 12/12/2000 🔗
274 posts
tough trails? at snowshoe? well unless there have been alot of changes since my last visit you have little to worry about.
ICEHOCEY77
December 1, 2004
Member since 12/11/2003 🔗
17 posts
Quote:

Which snowshoe trails will be open on friday? I've seen several pics of trails getting hammered with snow but i'm not sure what trails those are. I'm thinking about taking some beginners to go riding with and I don't want to throw them on the tough trails.

Per the snowshoe website...

We will have four trailss available that will make up one slope from top to bottom at the Snowshoe Basin area. The only beginner terrain open on Friday will be Skidder, additional beginner terrain should open on Saturday.

This year's first turns of the season will be coming two days ahead of last season's opening. When the ropes drop this Friday, basically one slope from top to bottom (Skidder, Spruce Glades, Cross Cut and Powder Monkey trails) at the Resort's Snowshoe Area will be available. These trails will be serviced by the Skidder and Grab Hammer Lifts.
snowcone
December 1, 2004
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
bawalker:

Go to SS trail maps ... http://snowshoemtn.com/trailmaps.html ... and click on Basin Area Stats link and Northern Tract Stats link to locate the runs. Right side of the Basin map and left side of the Northern tract map are where they are located. Spruce Glades is also listed to be open but SS has pretty much turned that whole area into a terrain park. So top to bottom would be Skidder north to Cross Cut (which isn't shown on the maps) to the new (last year) Powder Monkey. They generally expand the trails around that line first, then to the north and finally to the south. Usually last to be open on the basin side is Widow Maker.

It's not bad for a first run. Choke point is Cross Cut, but other than that, Powder Monkey is a broad, mild green, no challenge but, hey, it's a decent length for MidA.

Are you trying for the free season's pass?
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
SeaRide
December 1, 2004
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
[copy & paste from my email msg sent from snowshoe mtn]

The big news for this week is that Snowshoe Mountain opens for the 2004 / 2005 season this Friday, December 3. Cold temps late last week and over the weekend allowed our snowmakers to get out and lay down a bunch of the white stuff. Cold temperatures later this week will mean more snowmaking will take place Thursday and Friday. As it stands right now, when we open on Friday, we will have Skidder, Cross Cut, Spruce Glades (no terrain park features) and Powdermonkey. These trails form one continuous trail from top to bottom. With the snowmaking on Thursday and Friday, we anticipate more trails to open on Saturday - Heisler Way and Whistlepunk.

[copy & paste from Snowmaker Lounge section on website]

Snowmakers Lounge - Daily Comments...

We have been making snow for four straight days and the snowmakers have done a great job getting the slopes ready for opening day. The conditions are looking good for a Friday opening this week. We will have four trailss available that will make up one slope from top to bottom at the Snowshoe Basin area. The only beginner terrain open on Friday will be Skidder, additional beginner terrain should open on Saturday. Snowmaking will continue around the clock as long as temperatures permit. Keep checking here for all of the opending day details.
Murphy
December 1, 2004
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Their weather station at Snowshoe reported an inch of rain and still raining at 7am. Temperatures have dropped rapidly since. It's now 28 on the Dolly Sods station and 34 in Lewisburg. Hopefully they can get some snow to make up for whats washed away.
JR
December 1, 2004
Member since 01/1/2003 🔗
276 posts
where might one find this weather station?
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 1, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
The latest from a friend at Snowshoe is that it started snowing at 7 am and they've been making snow ever since. Snowshoe should have no problem opening on Friday.
mrhazmat
December 1, 2004
Member since 12/7/2000 🔗
47 posts
Anyone been up there on these early opening days. I've been twice (once at Thanksgiving) and its really hairy. Played dodge-em all day and don't even think of carving a wide turn. Had a friend get run over from behind - blew his ACL No Thanks, I'll wait awhile even though its killing me.

Just my .02
Doug
Murphy
December 1, 2004
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
I get my Snowshoe and other more remote West Virginia weather data here: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/RLX/HYDRLX

Unfortunately, it only comes out once a day. It gives the 7am temperature and what's labeld as max and min temps. I assume that's for the previous 24 hours but I'm not sure. There's also some snow data but sadly most of it reads 0" so far this year.

The Dolly Sods data comes from here: http://www.fsvisimages.com/doso1/doso1
Several posters on this site have posted it before.
December 1, 2004
1,986 posts
Snowshoe is generally very uncrowded early in the season. I've visited the place on opening day in the past and had a GRAND time.
snowcone
December 1, 2004
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
For a rough temperature calculation for Snowshoe, call the Elkins AWOS (Automatic Weather Observation System used by pilots) at (304) 636-5603. using the Centigrade temperature reported, convert to Fahrenheit (temperature x 9, divided by 5, add 32), subtract 12 to get SS mountain top temperature in Fahrenheit. Doesn't work for temperature inversion.

Btw ... I called the AWOS at noon today and it reported light snow in Elkins.
December 1, 2004
1,986 posts
This is another good source of information for high altitude weather conditions:

http://www.fsvisimages.com/doso1/doso1

BTW, the thermometer says that its 27 degree at CV. Why isn't Timberline making snow. What are they waiting for???
JohnL
December 1, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
John,

For Timberline to meet their advertised opening date of Dec 9 (8 days from now), about how many days/nights of snowmaking do they need? Can they meet that opening date?
JR
December 1, 2004
Member since 01/1/2003 🔗
276 posts
its probably too windy to make snow effectively. With snowshoe having eastern slopes the wind is broken by the mountain. With Timberline's north slopes its probably quite windy. If they made snow it might benefit Whitegrass though if they could catch it as it blows by

Did anyone notice that Canaan is now set for Dec 10th?
SeaRide
December 1, 2004
237 posts
Did search for posts from last year about snowmaking at T-line and found this one. check it out. See the pics from 12.3.2003
http://www.timberlineresort.com/snowmaking.asp
December 1, 2004
1,986 posts
Quote:

John,

For Timberline to meet their advertised opening date of Dec 9 (8 days from now), about how many days/nights of snowmaking do they need? Can they meet that opening date?

Timberline likes to put down 60 inches, so they do not have to re-coat, but at this point, I think it's more important for them to open on schedule than worry about re-coating.

Right now (1600), the Dolly Cam says it is 29 degrees with 13 mph winds.

http://www.fsvisimages.com/doso1/doso1

That may be a little warm for optimimum snowmaking. I suspect Timberline will crank up the guns tonight once the night shift arrives. Let's hope they do because time certainly is beginning to run out.

The next push after White Lightning is Sally, followed by Dew Drop, followed by Thunderstruck.
SeaRide
December 1, 2004
237 posts
Just saw wind advisory for the area of Davis, WV and Snowshoe WV. That may explain about the strong wind warning coming from weather.com.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?