10 posts
8 users
3k+ views
wgo
August 1, 2022 (edited August 1, 2022)
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

wvmetronews.com

Existing planned route would separate Davis and Thomas.

djop
October 10, 2022
Member since 03/18/2002 🔗
343 posts
WaPo picks up on the issue:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2022/10/09/west-virginia-corridor-h-blackwater-falls/
Reisen
October 17, 2022
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts
They need to focus on Wardensville to Strasburg. Knocking out that stretch would drop, what, at least 30 minutes off the drive time from DC to Davis?  

I have been waiting 20 years for this, and know the reasons why that will happen last, if ever. But WV needs to pressure VA to partner with them in that route. 
Norsk
October 18, 2022
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts

There was some chatter over the summer about the governments of VA and WV now actively discussing the Strasburg to Wardensville stretch.  Dunno whether that was real or political posturing.  

https://www.wfxrtv.com/news/regional-news/west-virginia-news/whats-the-latest-on-west-virginias-top-highway-project/

My sense is that it would save more like 10 mins, maybe 15.  Corridor H website describes the planned section as 21 miles (6.8 miles from Wardensville to the VA line, and 14.4 miles in VA).  Current roads are 22 miles from Strasburg to Wville, plus the 2-4 miles through Wville to existing Corridor H.  So perhaps you save a few miles, and assume you do it at 70 mpg vs perhaps an average of 45 today (winding road plus 25 mph in town).

djop
October 21, 2022
Member since 03/18/2002 🔗
343 posts

Reisen wrote:

They need to focus on Wardensville to Strasburg. Knocking out that stretch would drop, what, at least 30 minutes off the drive time from DC to Davis?  

LOL, I love that stretch.   

One of the interesting things about that stretch is that I get higher mpg on that stretch than on actual Corridor H - lower speed, less aero drag. 

wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
October 21, 2022
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts

Norsk wrote:

There was some chatter over the summer about the governments of VA and WV now actively discussing the Strasburg to Wardensville stretch.  Dunno whether that was real or political posturing.  

https://www.wfxrtv.com/news/regional-news/west-virginia-news/whats-the-latest-on-west-virginias-top-highway-project/

My sense is that it would save more like 10 mins, maybe 15.  Corridor H website describes the planned section as 21 miles (6.8 miles from Wardensville to the VA line, and 14.4 miles in VA).  Current roads are 22 miles from Strasburg to Wville, plus the 2-4 miles through Wville to existing Corridor H.  So perhaps you save a few miles, and assume you do it at 70 mpg vs perhaps an average of 45 today (winding road plus 25 mph in town).

I don't see Virginia building that section any time soon. It's a road to move people and dollars out of state. I don't know if the locals are that interested in it either.

I'd much rather Virginia spend transportation dollars elsewhere.

Bonzski
October 24, 2022
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

wfyurasko wrote:

Norsk wrote:

I don't see Virginia building that section any time soon. It's a road to move people and dollars out of state. I don't know if the locals are that interested in it either.

It would enhance the utility of Virginia's Inland Port by giving a more direct westerly route for moving goods.

RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
October 24, 2022
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts

Any relevant safety stats for the last ten miles of 48/55 to the state line?  It seems to me some sections of that road are pretty sketchy... lots of abrupt elevation changes, no shoulder for long stretches, etc

wfyurasko wrote:

Norsk wrote:

snapdragon
October 25, 2022
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts
the deer strike danger would be reduced on this 15 mile stretch...i have counted up to 10 fresh ones from the previous week's drive
wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
October 26, 2022
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts

Bonzski wrote:

wfyurasko wrote:

Norsk wrote:

It would enhance the utility of Virginia's Inland Port by giving a more direct westerly route for moving goods.

That's a better case than just making it easier to drive to WV. I'm still skeptical given that Northern Virginia has trouble getting funding transportation without a special tax district or multinational toll conglomerates.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?