Snow at Canaan Valley
2 posts
2 users
Glenn_C
November 28, 2004
Member since 11/14/2004 🔗
67 posts
Greetings to all---long time reader/rookie poster. I was up in Canaan Valley over Thanksgiving and attached are the pix of the snow we got Thanksgiving day. Coming in via 42/93 through Mt Storm the snow was coming down pretty steady (See pic). By the evening, we had about 2 inches on the ground. It was a great dusting and stayed cold (20's) through the night.

I took a drive down to Timberline the following morning (See 2 pix) and found the place deserted with no blowers running. I trekked down to Canaan Resort (See 2 pix) and found them blanketing the green slopes, part of one of the blue's and the lodge base area. I was pretty encouraged...

I found as the weekend wore on however that the temps didn't hold up. It edged up into the mid 40's over the weekend and rained all Saturday night into Sunday morning obliterating a lot of the snow Canaan had pumped out.

Timberline is still forecasting for a Dec 9 opening last time I checked and Canaan resort is shooting for an ambitious Dec 3 opening. I'm going back up for the weekend of 12/11 and 12/12---I'll drop everybody an update.

BTW, not sure if anybody has already posted the link but the US Forest Service has a real-time (every 15 minutes) camera posted at the north end of the valley at http://www.fsvisimages.com/doso1/doso1.html. It's a great eyeball into ski conditions for the area. To the far right is Canaan Resort and Timberline's slopes used to be to the far left though they seem to have nudged the camer a bit last time they did maintenance on it and now you only get a small piece of T-line on the left.

Season passes are in place, skis are tuned and my quads are twitching...just need a little help from Ullr to make the white stuff come.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 29, 2004
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Outstanding info and photos GlennC. Welcome and feel free to post often.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.