6 posts
4 users
4k+ views
Scott - DCSki Editor
November 27, 2004
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Hi folks!

I just created a new forum on the DCSki Message Forum specifically for topics related to recreational racing and competitions. You'll also find a new Racing page on DCSki (available from the main menu) that will gather together resources related to racing.

- Scott
comprex
November 28, 2004
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Good work Scott!
cbielmeier
October 7, 2005
Member since 10/7/2005 🔗
2 posts
Great I might be the first user...so I have a question for you. I just moved to DC, and I'm looking for some low key female racing. I raced in college (NY D3 level) but have spent a couple of years out in cali just toolin' around. Is there like a Beer league for over the hill racers?
Crush
October 7, 2005
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
hey!
go to http://www.skidome.org

scroll down and hit the ling for the ISSA
.. The Zardoz-Renegades are a pretty good team ... small but good talent ... not that I am biased!
cbielmeier
October 9, 2005
Member since 10/7/2005 🔗
2 posts
Thanks for giving me that info.
But question: how does this work. You don't race for a resort, you race for a club? Do you pick the club closest to where you live or what's the difference in these clubs? Do you get mountain time during the week? I live in DC. What is the closest mountain to me that is good? So do I join the DC ski club? Thanks for all your help.CB
Crush
October 9, 2005
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
cbielmeier - ok it's not that complex. The ISSA is the new version of the WSI circuit (Washington Ski International) run my Sam Mantis (not any more, tho). It's just a race serise that runs at moust of the local ski resorts (Ski Liberty, Whitetail, Blue Knob, Roundtop and something out in WVa.). I don't know about now but when I did the WSI you could get discounted lift tickets if you race.

You can enter as in indy racer (I did it for years before I was recruited by Ed Fowler of Zardoz-Rengades) for not a whole lot of money. Or you can join a club like Skidome and get free stuff from Ed (wax and other tuning stuff) because he has a few sponsors. Lance Bravard of the Fagowees is a great skier and racer (I've gone head-to-head with him a few times and skied out here once) that club is a *drinker's* club if you are into that. Ed's club is no frills but you get stuff if you are a racer.

You just have to show up and pay the bucks. You lay down two runs. Now with the ISSA they run SL and GS on the same day. It use to be with the WSI that they were on separate days but now it's an one-day event, so you don't have to choose your day on your specialty. They race early Jan to the last week of Feb. (the BIG race usually at Ski Roundtop .. all the points are determined then).

Ski Libery (1.3 hours from you) is the closes. I don't know what is happening now but Larry Peterson's Wed. Night gate training during the month of Jan is a great deal. I did it for 4 years or so. He's tough but real good no B.S. and no complements but right-on ... he races Birds-of-Prey DH and was only a second or so behind Hermann Maier last time I checked.

Good luck , and if you make it out to UT let me know!
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.