family ski trip - Massanutten or Bryce?
8 posts
5 users
2k+ views
wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
February 8, 2022
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts

I am trying to set up a ski trip for the family and have narrowed it down to Bryce and Massanutten, likely on President's Day.

Here is our situation:

• Son, 7 - never been skis
  • Son, 13 - skied a few times, competent on Sidewinder at Whitetail, but hasn't been out in 3 years
  • Wife, hasn't skied since 2010 - used to be able to see intermediates like Nile Mile at Camelback
  • Me, I can ski Paradice and Diamond Jim all day long

Are my kids better off at Bryce or Massanutten? I'd prefer Massanutten, but if a day at Bryce will get them further along, I'd go there.

mook21
February 8, 2022
Member since 12/30/2013 🔗
50 posts
Learning area at Bryce has a huge conveyor. Also, Bryce will not be as crowded. Being a holiday weekend, I would do Bryce with what you describe.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 8, 2022
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

How do you intend to get the 7yo started?  Unfortunately there aren't any group lesson options at Mnut this season.  However, Mnut has Terrain Based Learning features set up in the primary teaching area (now called Paul's Way) in front of the ski school building.  If you learned how to use them and the short magic carpets, could then lap the new Meadow trail that has a long magic carpet.  That has to be the best beginner terrain in the region now.  It's wide, almost as long as Geronimo (now called Easy Street), and doesn't have any fast skiers/boarders because they have no reason to go over there.  Unlike Southern Comfort that is the runout to the lodge from the black trails.

If the idea is to do a day trip on Feb. 21, Mnut won't be super crowded.  Most people who stay on resort don't get on the slopes on Mon if they are checking out.  Some go snow tubing in the morning and then head home.

PM me if you decide on Mnut.  I have friends who will be staying there for a long weekend.  The man is from DC and is with me at Taos this week.  He'll be skiing with my NC friend's 12yo daughter.  She started skiing Paradice last season.  So they'll be on Lift 6 (Peak) most of the day.  Although if you meet up, they would probably enjoy skiing off Lift 5 (Ridge Triple) too.

squeakywheels
February 8, 2022
Member since 08/4/2017 🔗
38 posts
Sounds like a great setup for Bryce except for you. But you will find some fun on Bryce trails as well. Bryce is probably going to be the only relatively uncrowded resort in the region for President day weekend.
mdr227
February 9, 2022
Member since 01/11/2016 🔗
193 posts
The one challenge at Bryce for a new skier would be going from the magic carpet to the ski lift as there is just one lift in operation there (been years since I've seen the second one operating) and the beginner trail down from the top of the mountain Redeye can get pretty crowded on a weekend/holiday and has a section that is pretty steep for a transition for a new skier just going on the lift for the first time.    Massanutten would be easier to transition from the magic carpet to the lift serviced beginner terrain, but would be much more crowded on a holiday weekend than Bryce.
February 19, 2022 (edited February 19, 2022)
353 posts
Welp, it won't Bryce, not availability.

@MarzNC - thoughts on Massanutten for Monday - are there walk-up lessons? My 7 y/o is the one who absolutely needs them.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 19, 2022
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

wfyurasko wrote:

Welp, it won't Bryce, not availability.

@MarzNC - thoughts on Massanutten for Monday - are there walk-up lessons? My 7 y/o is the one who absolutely needs them.

Are you thinking about Pres. Day?  Hard to say.  Very hard to get anyone at Mnut ski school on the phone during a holiday weekend.  If you are at the ski school desk when they open, sometimes can get a private lesson with one of the supervisors.  Especially if flexible about the start time.  The Level 3 instructors are all capable of given a good 2-hour lesson for a mixed-ability group that is also mixed ages.  I've done that more than once in recent years.

February 19, 2022
353 posts
No spots left based on a call down there. We'll try another weekend.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.