Laurel Highlands White Thanksgiving
8 posts
6 users
1k+ views
lridgerider
November 25, 2004
Member since 11/25/2004 🔗
9 posts
First off, greetings to all DCSki community members! I'm another long time reader and now first time poster. Since I'm (strategically) located in the Laurel Highlands near numerous DCSki resorts, I thought I'd share my report of the wonderful Thanksgiving happenings. I'm located in the extreme SW corner of Cambria County, 12 miles NE of (The Springs at) Laurel Mountain on the same mountain ridge, at 2,100 ft. I can almost call it a white Thanksgiving in my neighborhood this evening. We got 0.75-0.8 inches of snow, according to the table in the middle of the patio. It was scattered snow since around 10 this morning with a few almost blizzard like periods of big flakes and 35 mph wind gusts. Snow cover is a bit spotty in grass here, but the top of the ridge looked like an inch and a half+ of snow cover throughout the leafy woods. Laurel Highlands definitly had a warmer than average November until now, but temps will not surpass freezing here tomorrow. Seven Springs likely faired slightly better for snow than my spot, and my report should be almost the same as what Laurel Mountain experienced. My winter has officially started today!
shearer519
November 25, 2004
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
149 posts
lridgerider,

first off welcome to DCSki. it is great to get reports from that part of the mid-Atlantic. I am sure everyone here will enjoy the updates. Now I just looked on the web cams for Seven Springs and the lights are on and they are making snow. check out the cams.

http://www.7springs.com/mountaincams.shtml
lridgerider
November 25, 2004
Member since 11/25/2004 🔗
9 posts
Yup, a lot of snow will be flying at the springs this weekend, along with a small amount of more natural goodness likely. I suppose they will open sometime late next week...?
The cams on their site are nice to show off the guns, but other than that the springs still seems to be obsessed with The Marshall Tucker Band. Oh well, the important thing is that they've got snow and the season's almost here.
tromano
November 25, 2004
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
there also seems to be some snowmaking going on at Wisp...

Text
bawalker
November 26, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Now if only T-Line's camera was updated to let us know and not wonder if they are making snow.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
November 26, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Thanks for the report. Welcome to DCSki and please post updates.
bawalker
November 26, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Is it me... or is DCSki.com getting members who now post who live in 'critical' areas of the region who can report live on snow conditions?
kennedy
November 26, 2004
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I spent Thanksgiving in Cumberland, MD with the inlaws to be. After dinner while battling the effects of the tryptophan I heard the magic words, "Looks like it's snowing outside". Sure enough it was and I thoroughly gloated in wiping the dusting off my car that night. Roll on the '04 '05 season.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.