Ski lessons for 12 year old at Massanutten
11 posts
3 users
1k+ views
rocko918
January 25, 2022 (edited January 25, 2022)
Member since 01/24/2022 🔗
4 posts

Hello all. Please delete if not allowed.

I am looking for a private lesson at Massanutten this friday. I waited too long and now all the Friday lessons are booked.

Is there a service that will do this as well. I can not find anything.

Thanks

Bob

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 25, 2022
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Sorry, the way the American ski industry works, the only people allowed to give lessons are those who are employed by the resort's ski school.

When do you arrive at Massanutten?  Might be worth going into the ski school to see if one of the supervisors can break free for an hour for a lesson.  They are not on the regular teaching schedule.  I know calling can get frustrating.

rocko918
January 25, 2022
4 posts

thanks for the reply, I do plan on showing up around 8:30 to get the rentals and see if there is someone available that early. 

If i can't find anything, What would be the best things to work on with him? He did have a private lesson around 3 years ago, but we have not been able to go since. 

marzNC wrote:

Sorry, the way the American ski industry works, the only people allowed to give lessons are those who are employed by the resort's ski school.

When do you arrive at Massanutten?  Might be worth going into the ski school to see if one of the supervisors can break free for an hour for a lesson.  They are not on the regular teaching schedule.  I know calling can get frustrating.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 25, 2022
3,246 posts

rocko918 wrote:

thanks for the reply, I do plan on showing up around 8:30 to get the rentals and see if there is someone available that early. 

If i can't find anything, What would be the best things to work on with him? He did have a private lesson around 3 years ago, but we have not been able to go since. 

marzNC wrote:

Should be someone at the ski school desk by 8:15 or so.  Worth stopping in there first before they get busy.

FYI, there are two lines for rentals now.  The first is to get the boots.  Then a separate line to get the skis.  You can fill out the rental form on your phone or using one of the computers.  Friday morning shouldn't be that busy.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 25, 2022
3,246 posts

rocko918 wrote:

How old is he?  Where did you go before?  Was he wedging (pizza) or making some parallel turns?

There are now three magic carpets.  But the two shorter ones may be reserved for lessons before mid-afternoon.  However there is an area near the lodge where you can walk up and slide down for starters.  If that's working out, then can go over to the new long magic carpet for Meadow.  After that can ski over to the ride Easy Rider up to start skiing the greens served by the base chairlifts.

kwillg6
January 25, 2022
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
A 12 YO, if at all athletic, should catch on rather quickly.  If he has had previous lessons and was successful, the child should catch on rather quickly.  I'm an upper level ski instructor and just had a lesson like you may want last Thursday and all of the family of 4 were stopping, turning and successfully riding the conveyor.  If you have to work with your own kid, the emphasis should be on proper stance, meaning weight being over top of the foot  with a little shin/boot contact.  Hands in a visible area in front, and making the wedge variable in size while gliding.  Turning is accomplished by shortening (bending) the leg in the side of the body where he/she wants to direct the turn.  
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 25, 2022
3,246 posts
Ah, forgot the age was in the thread title.
rocko918
January 26, 2022
4 posts

Thank you both for the replies. He did a group lesson from whitetail about 3 years ago. Didn't learn much from it so we signed him up for a private the same day. What a difference that makes. The guy was awesome. We have not been since then. 

BUT i check the site yesterday and either they held back lessons or something else, there were more slots so I was able to get him one early in the morning.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 26, 2022 (edited January 26, 2022)
3,246 posts

rocko918 wrote:

Thank you both for the replies. He did a group lesson from whitetail about 3 years ago. Didn't learn much from it so we signed him up for a private the same day. What a difference that makes. The guy was awesome. We have not been since then. 

BUT i check the site yesterday and either they held back lessons or something else, there were more slots so I was able to get him one early in the morning.

That's great!  Probably Massanutten ski school wasn't quite sure what instructors would be available for Friday when you first checked.  Since most teach part-time, they may also have talked a few into working on that day because of higher demand.  With all the cold weather, there seems to be more people skiing on Fridays and Mondays than usual.

The new Meadow area is really nice for getting an advanced beginner warmed up.  There isn't any reason for advanced or speedy intermediates to be over there.

rocko918
January 26, 2022
4 posts
great, I am sure my son will love it and be going down greens and blues.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 26, 2022 (edited January 26, 2022)
3,246 posts

rocko918 wrote:

great, I am sure my son will love it and be going down greens and blues.

Here's a tip for Upper Showtime, which is at the top of the Ridge Triple.  I learned how to deal with the headwall watching what the instructor did the first time my daughter went up there.  The kids had already been introduced to the concept of side slipping.  The first time they went up to the top, the point was to side slip down the left side to get around the headwall.  The headwall is steep but short, 3-4 round turns at most.  After a couple times side slipping, then the instructor led the group down the headwall going slowly making round turns.

I've used the same approach with both adults and kids who were ready for Upper Showtime.  After a couple times side slipping all the way around, usually just side slip about half way and then start making turns.  Once they are comfortable making turns straight down that headwall, then it's reasonable to take them up to the top for a leisurely run down Paradice.  But I always try to go check out the snow conditions on Paradice beforehand.

When my daughter was a tween and skiing with a friend who wasn't good enough for Upper Showtime, sometimes I would ride with the girls and they would get off at mid-station.  Then we would meet up at the bottom of the triple for the next ride up.  Have done the same with my friend who learned as an adult when her kids started ski school (ages 4 and 6) about 10 years ago.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?