6 posts
5 users
1k+ views
nickhaas212
December 15, 2021
Member since 11/13/2019 🔗
68 posts

Well, CV will not open till 12/25....

Regardless of the weather, any operations team that succeeds is one that can adapt and be best at planning and preparedness for all challenges that lie ahead. With that said, I believe that TL is on top of their game in many facets and they have employees who are retainable because of a good culture (This is obviously from the outside looking in with only several observations). I think this is evident even outside of the winter season and how they look to expand on the client experience. However, one prime example of this is being able to open in November was awesome to see with that much coverage! It is also great to see a Mom and Pop being able to compete with someone like a Snowshoe without having to be them (Big Mtn Corps)!

Meanwhile, I fear that even with new leadership at CV, the improvements may either take a lot longer or not be there. While this snowmaking delay is a dent in my opinion on that, I feel as if they need to base their model or seek some guidance on all aspects on how to run a resort from another state-run entity like that of Whiteface, Smuggs, or Cannon.

While this is my opinion and I do see that CV is run by a corporation out of South Dakota that has some resort experience, I think they have the ability to do much more to reach their true potential.

Operations (Marketing, PR, Engineering, Mtn Ops, Accounting, Guest Services and Experiences, Culinary, etc... in this case) on all fronts is the backbone of any entity and if that can't succeed then I fear for them down the road! 

mdr227
December 16, 2021
Member since 01/11/2016 🔗
193 posts
Canaan Valley certainly is on the path to being left in the dust by Timberline.    You look at the improvements Timberline has made in just about two years with the lodge, lifts, snowmaking, customer experience, etc. to go along with what I think is much better overall terrain and how CV has done so little by comparison.   Then you look at commitment to snowmaking and it's night and day.   Canaan Valley has only made minimal snow and looks and long way from opening any significant amount of terrain while Timberline should be fully open in the near future.  
Thefirewarde
December 16, 2021
Member since 09/17/2015 🔗
112 posts
Canaan got to coast for at least half a decade as Timberline fell apart. Now they're finding out what real competition looks like. Their whole snowmaking crew needs a leavening of outside experience, which I doubt is going to happen, and they need to stop the state from buying whatever junk TechnoAlpin offers them.
nickhaas212
December 16, 2021
Member since 11/13/2019 🔗
68 posts

Amen! I really do think their mountain is fun, rustic, and amazing, but how often does an out-of-towner get to experience the natural conditions of the mountain in that state?..... I think the fact as I mentioned above that their lack of dedication and preparedness to planning outside of many other things has led to a lot of their demise.....

I may sound negative here.... A lot of things may be hard, but a lot of things aren't rocket science...

Crush
December 16, 2021 (edited December 16, 2021)
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
NO NO NO -

yell and shout

boo hoo hoo and

then you pout

poor little me and then you

see

take a very costly chance

find your life

-

oh no on no

oh dear -

give that up

OR

live it bold

make change

or nothing or not

just shut up

what do you want

then you scream and then you pout

up to you - leave it alone

your work Monday

is coming soon.

WHAT

will you leave when you are gone

leave love,  and perhaps a

song

... song your skis make

the story you make

your legacy

you the story maker

tell it

ksampson3
December 17, 2021
Member since 01/9/2012 🔗
80 posts

nickhaas212 wrote:

Amen! I really do think their mountain is fun, rustic, and amazing, but how often does an out-of-towner get to experience the natural conditions of the mountain in that state?..... I think the fact as I mentioned above that their lack of dedication and preparedness to planning outside of many other things has led to a lot of their demise.....

I may sound negative here.... A lot of things may be hard, but a lot of things aren't rocket science...

You’re not being negative. One trip there with my family was enough to know that we won’t be spending any money until they upgrade that place. Like my mom always said “Vote with your feet “. 

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?