Worldwide Ski Survey is out. 246 pages.
4 posts
3 users
1k+ views
ZARDOG
December 14, 2021
Member since 10/25/2020 🔗
177 posts

This is one of the best surveys free.  246 pages of data. Data analytics is key to business success.

https://www.vanat.ch/ski-resorts-english.shtml 

enjoy Zardog 

amorFati
December 14, 2021
Member since 11/13/2021 🔗
6 posts

Thanks, this is cool.  I enjoy investigating ski resorts around the world as I love to visit new ski resorts. 

One of my favorite sites for this is skiresort.info 

Mostly an online database of every ski resort in the world.  This survey is great.  I love how they summarize things.  

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 16, 2021
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts

Interesting report but some of the data is strange: skier visits per lift, for example. I find it interesting to compare countries. I compared the skier statistics in Italy, Austria, Switzerland, the US and Japan. Declining numbers seems to be the prevailing theme across most industrialized countries with a few exceptions (China). His take on the U.S. market is interesting.

Another issue that the US ski industry is facing is the increasing prices, paid by a declining number of customers. The window price of daily lift ticket rose from an average of USD 59 in 2005/06 to USD 132 during the 2019/20 season.  In  some  Colorado  resorts,  it  is  now  usual  that  the  daily  window price  reaches  over  USD  200  on  peak  days.  Average  daily  rates  in accommodations  in  the  western  resorts  also  rose  from  an  average  30% since  2009/10.  This  tends  to  make  skiing  less  affordable,  and  especially  to beginners,  who  usually  purchase  daily  passes,  the  less  discounted  tickets. In  an  overall,  the  business  model  of  the  large  US  resorts  can  be summarized  as  trying  to  get  always  more  money  from  always  less customers.  The  question  is  to  know  if  it  will  still  be  sustainable  for  a  long time. “

ZARDOG
December 24, 2021
Member since 10/25/2020 🔗
177 posts

I have followed this survey for a few years + NSAA.

We lose the older generation as we age out, injury out, or pass on to the next life.

Kids seem to game indoors more. Birth rate in USA has been low for 10 years. 

Covid actually has more people thinking of outdoor activities. Bicycle sales went up. Use of parks went up. 

Changing demographics also has an impact. 

Insurance in USA is $$$. Then upping the Pay. Higher lift cost. Additional cost for energy They buy the most expensive to be "GREEN Climate" Cost of inputs goes up so does the lift price. 

MY budget- 479$ NE Pass. At 20 days out my cost per hour is under 10$.  Reasonable. 

Add gas to get there 20 visit budget is $700 a year. 

my bosses are nice to let me have Telework 1 day a week so that negates the cost of gas for the 10 weekdays I plan to ski.

For the grandkids and family that only go once or twice a season the 10 buddy passes will help keep their cost down. 

Because I do most of my car repairs, I save enough every year to cover my ski time budget.

Saving you have to plan. 

ZARDOG 

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.