Whitetail holiday lift tickets
10 posts
6 users
1k+ views
itdoesntmatter - DCSki Supporter 
December 7, 2021
Member since 01/17/2007 🔗
158 posts
Why in the world would Whitetail consider Feb 18th through Feb 27th a holiday period and limit lift ticket sales and prioritize pass holders?   What is Vail resorts thinking.... Oh wait I'll have to buy a pass so I can make sure I can ski midweek on a non-holiday.
yellowsnow
December 7, 2021
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts

Um, President's Day holiday is Monday 2/21.....couple days before a weekend+weekend+Holiday+rest of that week....

Makes sense.

superguy
December 8, 2021
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

yellowsnow wrote:

Um, President's Day holiday is Monday 2/21.....couple days before a weekend+weekend+Holiday+rest of that week....

Makes sense.

No, it doesn't. I can see the whole weekend qualifying, but there's nothing going on the rest of us week that merits it being considered a holiday.

7S is pulling similar stupidity by starting the Christmas holiday on Dec 17, and I don't see a legitimate reason for that either, especially as they won't have that much open then.

rbrtlav
December 8, 2021
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts
I suspect those dates are vail wide. Many of the states in the northeast (including NY) are off that whole week for February break. Vail doesn’t seem to care to do very much in the terms of regional research, because clearly this break will not be drawing people to the southern Pennsylvania resorts. As far as I know none of the mid Atlantic states have this break.
yellowsnow
December 8, 2021
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts
Premium prices for premium time.
Scott - DCSki Editor
December 8, 2021
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts

I don't think there's much to worry about here.

After analyzing past visitation patterns, Vail Resorts has set resort-wide holiday periods between December 25, 2021 - January 2, 2022; January 14-17, 2022; and February 18-27, 2022.  During these dates, the company has indicated that it will limit lift ticket purchases.  How much tickets are limited will be particular to each ski area, and the limits will be in place to prevent overcrowding.  I described more about this policy in this DCSki story.

When Whitetail first opened and for many years after, the resort placed a daily restriction on how many lift tickets it sold.  On particularly busy weekends, Steve Rice, then President of Whitetail, would sometimes stand at the entrance to the parking lot apologizing and turning cars away once the resort had reached capacity.

These days (and especially during COVID times), ski areas are asking guests to purchase lift tickets on-line in advance.  You can purchase a lift ticket today on Whitetail's web site for anytime during the period February 18-27.  If you buy a lift ticket for February 8, the price today is $76.  If you buy a lift ticket for February 22, the price today is also $76 -- there's no premium price for falling within this "holiday period."

I would be very surprised if you couldn't buy a lift ticket on Whitetail's web site a day or two in advance of February 22 given historical visit patterns there.  So, in essence, this policy change probably won't have any practical effect on Liberty/Roundtop/Whitetail.

rbrtlav
December 8, 2021
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

I misread the original post and thought it meant they were charging holiday prices, but this seems to be talking about limiting sales.

With the February breaks in New England these dates make sense, but as Scott said they probably won’t impact the Pennsylvania resorts except maybe on the weekend. 

FWIW even last year getting weekend reservations wasn’t difficult. Often times refreshing the night before you would be able to get at least one of the 3 snowTime resorts. 

Scott - DCSki Editor
December 8, 2021
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

I misread the original post and thought it meant they were charging holiday prices, but this seems to be talking about limiting sales.

With the February breaks in New England these dates make sense, but as Scott said they probably won’t impact the Pennsylvania resorts except maybe on the weekend. 

FWIW even last year getting weekend reservations wasn’t difficult. Often times refreshing the night before you would be able to get at least one of the 3 snowTime resorts. 

Yeah, I suspect that if there are any days that are sold out on the web site, those are very much days you wouldn't want to be anywhere near the resort!  A crowded Whitetail is not a fun Whitetail, in my experience.  My main disappointment this year is with the reduced weekday evening hours, although I understand the rationale (with staffing challenges, etc.)

RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
December 8, 2021
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts

Newsflash: Selling lift tickets is an out of date niche business.

They are selling lift access.

snowbrains.com

superguy
December 8, 2021
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
518 posts

yellowsnow wrote:

Makes sense.

No, it doesn't. I can see the whole weekend qualifying, but there's nothing going on the rest of us week that merits it being considered a holiday.

7S is pulling similar stupidity by starting the Christmas holiday on Dec 17, and I don't see a legitimate reason for that either, especially as they won't have that much open then.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?