how to prepare camera for ski
12 posts
11 users
3k+ views
janej
November 22, 2004
Member since 09/20/2004 🔗
42 posts
Just one more month, we are going to 7 Springs. How do you take your camera to ski with you? Do I need a waterproof bag/case? Should I bring my camera case or just zip the camera in my pocket? Will the battery die fast when it is cold? I plan to bring my SONY V1. Thanks a lot for your advice.
ski_guy_59
November 23, 2004
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
Jane, as long as you have a water resistent or waterproof jacket, zipping the camera inside a pocket should be fine. Bring extra batteries because the cold kills their efficiency.
skidmo
December 7, 2004
Member since 10/10/2003 🔗
32 posts
Sorry I didn;t see this sooner. I would not recommend using a plastic bag for fear that condensation would form in the bag and the lens would fog up as soon as the camera is removed. I would place the camera in my inside coat vest pocket. This is a fairly protected area if you fall. On the batteries, they will die quickly. Keep spares nearby in warm places and bring plenty of extras with you on the trip.
langleyskier
December 7, 2004
Member since 12/7/2004 🔗
824 posts
does anyone know of something i can use to protect a 35mm SLR while skiing?
snowcone
December 8, 2004
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Depending on the make and model there might be a drycase available from the manufacturer. Other than that you might want to look into drybags specifically for cameras. It's a little late in the year but kayak and dive shops generally have a decent assortment of drybags for all sorts of gear from phones to PDA's to cameras.

In our area you might want to check out Atlantic Kayak in Alexandria (703 838-9072), Atlantic Edge Dive shop in Gaithersburg (301 990-0223) or The Dive Shop in Fairfax (703 698-7220). We deal with these shops and know they generally have a good assortment in stock.

AND .. don't forget the 'moisture munchers'. These are small silicate packages to insert into the drybag to eliminate moisture. You can always find these at dive shops ... they are used to keep cameras dry in underwater cases.
Ullr
December 30, 2004
Member since 11/27/2004 🔗
532 posts
I'm no expert, so I just bring a disposable camera. They take great pictures, and I think this year I am going to try one of the digitals.
comprex
December 31, 2004
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Quote:

Sorry I didn;t see this sooner. I would not recommend using a plastic bag for fear that condensation would form in the bag and the lens would fog up as soon as the camera is removed.

Actually, a Ziploc works well so long as you remember to ONLY OPEN THE ZIPLOC OUTDOORS and keep the camera in it while you are indoors.

LCD screens and cold do not get along.
comprex
December 31, 2004
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Quote:

does anyone know of something i can use to protect a 35mm SLR while skiing?

Pampers. No joke.
Lietmotiv
January 13, 2005
Member since 12/31/2001 🔗
113 posts
I just put mine inside of an old neck gator and shove it in my butt pack. I have taken it skiing everywhere in the country and never had a problem with moisture or condensation or fog or anything. Slightly off-topic, I bought a Canon a95 recently and took it to Vail and it is just compact enough for a fanny pack and takes spectacular pictures that required no alteration. You can see my pics here . great camera!
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 13, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Quote "I just put mine inside of an old neck gator and shove it in my butt pack. I have taken it skiing everywhere in the country and never had a problem with moisture or condensation or fog or anything. Slightly off-topic, I bought a Canon a95 recently and took it to Vail and it is just compact enough for a fanny pack and takes spectacular pictures that required no alteration. You can see my pics here . great camera! "
I looked at you mouth watering pictures, really made me want to take some. So, how did you get a $69 rate at the Vail Marriot?
The Colonel
PhysicsMan
January 13, 2005
Member since 11/20/2001 🔗
218 posts
Quote:

Pampers. No joke.

Comprex is absolutely right. In fact, some of the adult sized products have even larger quantities of silica gel.

Many moons ago, I was working PT as a wedding photographer and was shooting a pretty stuffy wedding. I happened to leave the top of my camera bag open. An elderly woman guest did an absolute double-take when she walked by and happened to look inside. This was quickly followed by a look in my direction of deep pity and profound empathy.

So young ... Such a shame ...

Tom / PM
jimmy
January 14, 2005
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
lololol, incontinece rules

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?