Local epic snowmaking?
11 posts
9 users
1k+ views
MitchSH
8 days ago
Member since 12/14/2018 🔗
29 posts
Anyone have any information on when Whitetail/Liberty/Roundtop may start making snow?  Seems like with temperatures going below freezing overnight they should have started firing up the guns by now. 
RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter
8 days ago
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
202 posts
Search some of the Liberty and Whitetail threads from last winter about Vail being conservative with the snowmaking... the good old days of Irvin Naylor green lighting the guns in November or most of March are over...  Vail is ALL about the bottom line.  Not a criticism, just the reality.  Majority of Epic pass holders don't show up until end of December. 
marzNC - DCSki Supporter
7 days ago
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
2,575 posts
Did there used to be cheap day tickets during early season under Snow Time?
rbrtlav
7 days ago
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
516 posts

marzNC wrote:

Maybe opening weekend would be weekday prices… but generally I think they were close to full price. The discounts were really on the advantage card and learn to ski programs.

Even under peak resorts I think at least Big Boulder and roundtop would have tried for a thanksgiving (or already been open) opening with current weather. 

VaTech2k
7 days ago
Member since 02/13/2018 🔗
13 posts
In 2019 I skiied Roundtop on November 17.  There were also a couple of years where I was able to ski at Whitetail the weekend after Thanksgiving.  Sadly, it looks like those days are likely over based on Vail's lack of costumer service.  
superguy
7 days ago
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
308 posts

I saw a post earlier they started blowing snow at JFBB. Hasn't seen anything on the ST resorts.

Vail's blowing hard in NE though.

wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter
7 days ago
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
225 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

marzNC wrote:

Maybe opening weekend would be weekday prices… but generally I think they were close to full price. The discounts were really on the advantage card and learn to ski programs.

Even under peak resorts I think at least Big Boulder and roundtop would have tried for a thanksgiving (or already been open) opening with current weather. 

Wasn't Big Boulder first to open in the Poconos many years?

Scott - DCSki Editor
7 days ago
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,148 posts

Vail Resorts is currently planning to open its Pennsylvania resorts on the following dates:

Jack FrostDecember 3, 2021
Big BoulderDecember 17, 2021
Liberty MountainDecember 17, 2021
RoundtopDecember 17, 2021
WhitetailDecember 17, 2021

Given these projected opening dates, I don't think we'll see substantial snowmaking at Whitetail/Liberty/Roundtop until early December.  These are the dates Vail Resorts is shooting for in terms of ramping up staffing, etc.

superguy
7 days ago
Member since 03/8/2018 🔗
308 posts

7S is shooting for Dec 11 supposedly, according to someone who works there that pushed in the Seven Springs Friends group.

Heard that they may try to open this weekend, though I see that as ambitious.

Dec 11 seems reasonable though.

amorFati
6 days ago
Member since 11/13/2021 🔗
3 posts
Yeah Whitetail and Liberty used to normally open earlier.  Weather permitting of course.  I used to use early December as a warmup for other trips.  Almost no one would be there.  Maybe one blue open if you were lucky.  
rbrtlav
2 days ago
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
516 posts
Big boulder used to open as early as possible, sometimes quite early in November and then try to build up snow for a “May Day” park event. Roundtop if at all possible used to always have a park if not a few trails open for thanksgiving or earlier, and liberty and whitetail would usually open asap after roundtop. 

All of these resorts used to take advantage of whatever snowmaking windows they had starting in mid November because they know, especially early season they may not be every night. I’m not sure whitetail has had any nights worth firing up the system, but roundtop and the resorts in the poconos sure have. It’s disappointing to see the changes that have been made to these resorts since vail took them over. It also seemed like snow time used to make a purchase of snowmaking equipment every offseason, and the 3 snow time resorts haven’t shown up at all on any of the vail press releases for improvements. 
DCSki Sponsor: Seven Springs Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?