Timberline Upgrades for 2021/22
44 posts
18 users
8k+ views
mounthoya - DCSki Supporter 
September 28, 2021
Member since 09/20/2021 🔗
25 posts
Good news from management today; they’ve been working all summer and doubled the snowmaking capacity from last year and completed the renovations on the lodge.   Bad news is that mountain biking likely won’t resume next Spring but they’re assessing.   Looking forward to another exceptional year as this owner has committed $$ to elevating the experience.  No news on coffee upgrades (sorry, had to broach) but hoping they can partner with local barista to up their offering.  Anyone else out there have thoughts on summer visit and activities for kids?
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 28, 2021
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,245 posts
How was the mountain biking run in the summer?  Lift-served?  How many trails?  Did they have "bike patrol" in the same way that snowy slopes are monitored by ski patrol.
September 29, 2021
25 posts
No mountain biking this year; from what I understand, it hasn’t been offered for a few years.  Was hoping they’d resume next year.  Not sure of patrol
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
September 29, 2021
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts

mounthoya wrote:

Good news from management today; they’ve been working all summer and doubled the snowmaking capacity from last year

I’d like to see this confirmed in a press release. They have done a lot of work this summer replacing pipes, but I haven’t seen that many new guns on my various hikes around the mountain this summer. More guns yes but not double what we saw last season. In know the system will be much better this next season but double last year’s capacity sounds like a stretch.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Rickh
September 29, 2021 (edited September 29, 2021)
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts

From what I understand they added 30 new guns. The real upgrade was in the capacity to get water up the mountain. All the piping they added is where they see the gains in snow making capacity. The mid-mountain pumps where only run at 50% capacity last winter. With the added water they can run both pumps.

Yesterday they started digging a large trench up the mountain under the 6 pack? No idea, power? 

Also, they added several foundations for poles around the base next to all the snow guns. Questioning if its for lights, because there are power units right next to each as well.

We will see. 

September 29, 2021
25 posts
Let’s hope the trenches are for power — night skiing would be great.  Managment not the best at touting their success.  Selfishly I don’t mind as I like the smaller crowds. Some here in Arlington still have negative perception of TL given prior owner’s neglect/lack of investment and bankruptcy.  
Rickh
September 29, 2021
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts

Sshhh don't tell them. But, I do want the new owners to be successful. So I want them to bring there money and support this place. Last year was the best year on this mountain in over 10 years. 

mounthoya wrote:

Let’s hope the trenches are for power — night skiing would be great.  Managment not the best at touting their success.  Selfishly I don’t mind as I like the smaller crowds. Some here in Arlington still have negative perception of TL given prior owner’s neglect/lack of investment and bankruptcy.  
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 29, 2021
3,245 posts

Rickh wrote:

Sshhh don't tell them. But, I do want the new owners to be successful. So I want them to bring there money and support this place. Last year was the best year on this mountain in over 10 years. 

mounthoya wrote:

Last season I talked to a man from Ohio who got a discounted lift ticket to use during late season because he was a season pass holder at Perfect North.  So there was clearly marketing happening in Ohio to get people to make the drive east.

I get the sense that the Perfect family fit in the "under promise and over deliver" category of business owners.  So glad they bought Timberline.

The history of Perfect North has included plenty of upgrades over decades.  It's no longer linked on the homepage, but the webpage celebrating 40 years that has a timeline is still available.  Just noticed that snowboarding was not allowed for ten years in the 1990s and was added back for 2001-02.  They moved the terrain park before that season.  They doubled snowmaking capacity at Perfect North for the first time back in 1988-89 when day tickets were $15 and a season pass was $275.

Perfect North Timeline at 40th anniversary 2019-20

"Season 1, 1980-81

Construction began August of ‘80, and opened for the season on January 12, 1981. The lodge was built using old brick from Norwood Sash and Door in Cincinnati. Interior beams and siding were salvaged from local Indiana barns. PNS opened with 2 Stadeli cable tows and three rope tows on 150’ vertical drop. Snowmaking was done with 8 portable snowguns. 400 pairs of used rentals with Spademan bindings were in the basement rental shop. The tows and ski rentals were purchased from a defunct ski area in Tennessee. Weekday ticket: $7.00; rental: $7.00. Weekend ticket was $10.00 and rental $9.00. Hours: Monday through Thursday 10am – 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday 9am – 12:30, and Sunday hours were 9:00am – 10:00pm. Total attendance for the season was 6200 visits. Closed for the season on March 8.""

September 30, 2021
1,986 posts

Last season was great despite average snowfall (120.8 inches) and above average thaw cycles:

data.canaanmtnsnow.com

TM did a great job recovering from thaws with the capacity they had last season. I can only dream of how better things will be next season and how much more terrain will be open by 25 December weather permitting. 

Hopefully, lifts will be loaded to capacity. That should ease lines at the 6-pack, which got quite long on Saturdays and long weekends. 20 minutes plus at times. I’d also like to see day tickets on weekends go up in price in attempt to lower crowds on those days. We will see. The owners are great as are the staff. 

Rickh
October 1, 2021
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts

So, looks like they finished up under the 6 pack by "grooming" the soil, yes they used a groomer to do it :-). My guess is as they added base last year the skiers taking off from the base were close to the snow. So, they lowered the land somewhat so they could keep base there.

Rickh wrote:

From what I understand they added 30 new guns. The real upgrade was in the capacity to get water up the mountain. All the piping they added is where they see the gains in snow making capacity. The mid-mountain pumps where only run at 50% capacity last winter. With the added water they can run both pumps.

Yesterday they started digging a large trench up the mountain under the 6 pack? No idea, power? 

Also, they added several foundations for poles around the base next to all the snow guns. Questioning if its for lights, because there are power units right next to each as well.

We will see. 

kwillg6
October 20, 2021
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
I've been quietly watching the work on TM all summer. Noticed change for snowmaking on Salamander below S turn for fixed guns.   Trenching recently for electric to run to mid.  Imagine this will allow for them to light the lower half of the mountain accessible from the quad lift which makes sense. They installed over 9000' of new snowmaking pipe, replacing the swiss cheese in Winterset and pushing additional pipe up the mountain but not sure just where.  They did a lot of work addressing drainage issues which have existed for years. I believe the experience of being on this mountain will be exceptional no matter what day of the week you visit.  They will have area for overflow parking, and the lodge is really nice. 
kwillg6
October 20, 2021
2,066 posts

If you were to go to TM this Saturday or Sunday for an event they have planned in conjunction with local artists and other vendors, you will be able to purchase a one day lift ticket and rental package for $62.  Go to timberlinemountain.com to view details. Will go to see what they have to offer.   

nickhaas212
October 20, 2021
Member since 11/13/2019 🔗
68 posts

Questions: 1.) Does anyone know if there is any possibility of having night skiing on trails this winter? 2.) I have heard they plan on doing night skiing on 13 trails eventually. I tried messaging TM myself, but they did not want to release this information yet it seems like.

Snowmaking Updates (Confirmed): 1.) They have 10 new fans on White Out and Easy Does and have installed more guns and fans on Twister. 2.) They have added more snowmaking in other areas of the mountain and regraded the base of the drive terminal for the 6-Pack. 3.) The lodge is 100% complete it sounds like as well. Source: TM Fan Club on Facebook. A couple of people who live either on the mountain or live nearby provide great construction updates.

Rumors: 1.)These are just rumors that I have heard, but they look like they may add another lift in place of the Silver Queen as well as carve out a few more trails over in the Advanced/Expert Area of the mountain as well as additional areas below to improve traffic and guest experience. They may add a dedicated tow rope in the terrain park as there is some old equipment and drives leftover by previous owners in the Thunderstruck Area. This is a long shot, but in regards to mountain biking, I have heard mentions of adding another lift solely dedicated to mountain biking for all year around operations on the South/West Side of Mountain that the sun seems to hit a lot. This would almost be similar to what Granite Peaks in Wisconsin is trying to do as well. Please take all of these rumors with a grain of salt!!!

Rickh
October 20, 2021
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts

Great news on the increased snow making. Any sign of additional guns on Almost Heaven? I'd heard they were adding there earlier this summer.

As for the new lift, I'd say that decision won't be made until after this season. I was speaking with a Doppelmayr guy during last ski season. They believe they have enough lift capacity. We will/ they will see this season.

nickhaas212
October 29, 2021
68 posts

Night Skiing Update:

Lights were ordered several months back. Footers and stub-up wiring for electrical has been spotted on several trails. There are currently light supports in the parking lot as of last weekend. It looks like the new lights may be LED lights, but not sure if the fixtures are 277V or 480V. This may also impact supply chain issues. Again if this is to happen this year, don't expect this to happen right away. Night Skiing may start in the middle to the later part of the season.

nickhaas212 wrote:

Questions: 1.) Does anyone know if there is any possibility of having night skiing on trails this winter? 2.) I have heard they plan on doing night skiing on 13 trails eventually. I tried messaging TM myself, but they did not want to release this information yet it seems like.

Snowmaking Updates (Confirmed): 1.) They have 10 new fans on White Out and Easy Does and have installed more guns and fans on Twister. 2.) They have added more snowmaking in other areas of the mountain and regraded the base of the drive terminal for the 6-Pack. 3.) The lodge is 100% complete it sounds like as well. Source: TM Fan Club on Facebook. A couple of people who live either on the mountain or live nearby provide great construction updates.

Rumors: 1.)These are just rumors that I have heard, but they look like they may add another lift in place of the Silver Queen as well as carve out a few more trails over in the Advanced/Expert Area of the mountain as well as additional areas below to improve traffic and guest experience. They may add a dedicated tow rope in the terrain park as there is some old equipment and drives leftover by previous owners in the Thunderstruck Area. This is a long shot, but in regards to mountain biking, I have heard mentions of adding another lift solely dedicated to mountain biking for all year around operations on the South/West Side of Mountain that the sun seems to hit a lot. This would almost be similar to what Granite Peaks in Wisconsin is trying to do as well. Please take all of these rumors with a grain of salt!!!

MitchSH
October 31, 2021
Member since 12/14/2018 🔗
56 posts
Looks like some overnight snowmaking temperatures the next two weeks. I wonder whether Timberline will attempt a Thanksgiving weekend opening if they have enough of a snowmaking window. 
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 1, 2021
3,245 posts

The prices for Timberline season passes go up one more time after Nov. 1.

I hadn't really noticed the Bronze pass before.  It's good for 1 day per week for midweek.  As compared to the Silver pass that is good M-F, unlimited midweek.

Denvern61
November 1, 2021
Member since 11/11/2020 🔗
14 posts

That would be nice..... haven't played on the snow at TM or CV for over a decade or more, but don't think it will happen.   TM might start the guns for testing..... Mommy nature doesn't play will in November any more.  Heading back to Colorado for that early snow and cold fix on the 18.  Maybe when I return the slopes will be white and ready to play on.....keep fingers crossed

MitchSH wrote:

Looks like some overnight snowmaking temperatures the next two weeks. I wonder whether Timberline will attempt a Thanksgiving weekend opening if they have enough of a snowmaking window. 
Thefirewarde
November 1, 2021
Member since 09/17/2015 🔗
112 posts

If they're still working on the mountain, especially if they expect to need access to early season trails off the quad/the base area to install lighting, I'd expect specific instructions NOT to make enough snow to open even if they do an all-up test run. It's significantly harder to do high work if there's snow unless they have a snowcat with a bucket lift - and even if they do, if there's also a bucket truck on site then they can use both if there's still dirt.

Possibly they'd go for stockpile production in areas they won't be working in, but I wouldn't figure on an early early season push until next year when there's more maintenance and less renovation happening.

My wild ass guess is they're aiming for "as soon as the lights are done enough or the same weekend we soft opened last time, whichever is first".

nickhaas212
November 2, 2021
68 posts

Right Around the Corner!

1635854545_bkudbpwifwtm.jpg

kwillg6
November 2, 2021
2,066 posts

Thefirewarde wrote:

If they're still working on the mountain, especially if they expect to need access to early season trails off the quad/the base area to install lighting, I'd expect specific instructions NOT to make enough snow to open even if they do an all-up test run. It's significantly harder to do high work if there's snow unless they have a snowcat with a bucket lift - and even if they do, if there's also a bucket truck on site then they can use both if there's still dirt.

Possibly they'd go for stockpile production in areas they won't be working in, but I wouldn't figure on an early early season push until next year when there's more maintenance and less renovation happening.

My wild ass guess is they're aiming for "as soon as the lights are done enough or the same weekend we soft opened last time, whichever is first".

There's  no reason to not make snow on the upper part of the mountain, aside from temperatures, even if they still want to install light towers/poles. Certain trails will not be lit like salamander due to other restrictions previously in place.  The mountain could open up with limited access from the top to the lift such as salamander, drop, otw, and WL and allow them to continue to work on the remainder for lighting if that is still an option.  The ground is so wet that they were to try to move anything up muddy trails, they would  undo all the fine grading and seeding work they accomplished.  If we had a hard freeze it wouldn't matter but that looks weeks away.  

crgildart
November 2, 2021
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts
Did they not have night skiing last season?  I know it's always been a limited number of trails but always something...   This season, in addition to supply chain obstacles for parts.. staffing might be a problem limiting night skiing options..
kwillg6
November 2, 2021
2,066 posts

crgildart wrote:

Did they not have night skiing last season?  I know it's always been a limited number of trails but always something...   This season, in addition to supply chain obstacles for parts.. staffing might be a problem limiting night skiing options..

As a matter of fact they struggled to get open as much as they did.  Amazing job.  Yes, staffing may be a problem as it is everywhere as well as patrol.  They want to rely on volunteer patrol which, in the valley area may be difficult to achieve. CVR has less problem with staffing patrol as they readily pay needed staffers.  I think it's a learning curve with demographics.  The managers came from the Cincinnati metro area where there are an abundance of staffers within an easy commute.  In the valley, it's the opposite.  Even if they can get additional staff, housing is an issue.    

Thefirewarde
November 2, 2021
112 posts

They have to cover at least a solid trail through the base area to get from Salamander to the sixer. If they really want to open early, Lower Dew Drop from the quad, maybe?

I'm not saying they won't stockpile upper mountain snow, and they might get the lights installed quickly before the weather really turns and not need to worry about access. I've also been in the position of not making snow on critical access roads, though, and similar considerations may keep them from pushing for the earliest possible opening.

SkiHawthorne
November 5, 2021
Member since 07/27/2020 🔗
10 posts
From a Timberline social media post yesterday - they are confirming they added 38 new guns to the fleet and 8,000 feet of new snowmaking pipe.  Excellent infrastructure improvements for the upcoming season
November 6, 2021
1,986 posts
Good to hear. I am more happy about the pipes than the guns!
BilllyanaireNomoney
November 7, 2021
Member since 11/7/2021 🔗
1 posts

Denvern61 wrote:

That would be nice..... haven't played on the snow at TM or CV for over a decade or more, but don't think it will happen.   TM might start the guns for testing..... Mommy nature doesn't play will in November any more.  Heading back to Colorado for that early snow and cold fix on the 18.  Maybe when I return the slopes will be white and ready to play on.....keep fingers crossed

MitchSH wrote:

That window just might present itself.  Half the next two weeks w overnight snow making temps and 2-3 days of forecasted snow later next weekend. After their Gun test on Nov 4-5 I’d say they are getting ready to try for it. Anyone think they will stockpile for upper trails?

Thefirewarde
November 7, 2021
112 posts
It really depends on whether they have work pending we don't know about and where they want to have access without snow particularly to set up lighting. I'd not be surprised to see a lot of stockpiled snow especially up top.
Rickh
November 9, 2021
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts

Light poles are mostly installed, no lights as of last night have been delivered.

Portable Snow guns, snow mobiles and snow cats are all positioned in an orderly line ready to go at the top of the parking lot. I'd say Boonie is looking at what we are and is getting ready as soon as the long range temps show him sustainable cold. We might see the guns turned on late Friday night or early Saturday morning. That would give him 4 straight days with 15 or more hours of blowing per day.

Here's to hoping

Evans Dad - DCSki Supporter 
November 9, 2021
Member since 01/27/2021 🔗
59 posts
Does anyone know whether the lockers were replaced this year?
November 19, 2021
25 posts
Just checked snow cams at TL.  Guns ablazing.  Bet they open within 2 weeks. Great to see new owner investing and upping the operations. Game changer for sure
nickhaas212
November 19, 2021
68 posts
Snowmaking on Twister, Winterset, Upper Thunderstruck, Lower Thunderstruck, White Lightning, Upper, and Lower Salamander. They could very well have half the mountain open up in two weeks.
wgo
November 19, 2021
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Nice. I was hoping for 3 top to bottom blue/black runs to get some early season turns in the next couple weeks. Fingers crossed!
nickhaas212
November 19, 2021
68 posts

Correction:

Snow is also been made on Upper Almost Heaven and Dew Drop as well!

November 22, 2021
25 posts

1637633371_ndgfyfqqgyai.jpg

TL back to blowing snow.  Looks like temps will hold over next week or so.   Fingers crossed they open by Dec 4

msprings
November 23, 2021
Member since 07/4/2014 🔗
153 posts
I just looked on the Canaan Valley Webcams. Looks like they did some work on the tubing area. Any idea what improvements they made in the off-season?
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 27, 2021
3,245 posts
Timberline is spinning lifts for a Preview Weekend, Nov. 27-18.  Check out the webcam!
Scott - DCSki Editor
November 27, 2021
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts

msprings wrote:

I just looked on the Canaan Valley Webcams. Looks like they did some work on the tubing area. Any idea what improvements they made in the off-season?

See this story on DCSki for details on recent improvements to Canaan Valley Resort.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 28, 2021
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

Beautiful preview weekend at Timberline Mtn, WV, photo taken 28Nov2021:

1638154122_umusowqvqfea.jpg

Jaxon
November 29, 2021
Member since 10/12/2021 🔗
6 posts

Beautiful photo, really excited to be back over Christmas to see the new Timberline. I've heard that almost half the resort is open already, can anyone confirm?

JimK wrote:

Beautiful preview weekend at Timberline Mtn, WV, photo taken 28Nov2021:

1638154122_umusowqvqfea.jpg

November 29, 2021
25 posts
Confirmed.  Was there yesterday.  Pretty impressive.  Can’t recall ever skiing thanksgiving weekend in mid-Atlantic.  Open for season this weekend.  Snow guns at it again this morning 
November 30, 2021
59 posts

We were there for the Preview Weekend and indeed, half of the mountain was open and conditions were very nice!  This is the earliest I have skied in the mid-atlantic ever and beats my previous record by 2 weeks.  Many kudos to the new T-Line ownership and local management for a great turn-around. 

November 30, 2021
59 posts

Evans Dad wrote:

Does anyone know whether the lockers were replaced this year?

The un-lockable lockers have not been replaced yet.  In case you don't know what I'm talking about, there are 2 banks of old inoperable coin operated lockers in the rental area just up the steps from the ticket lobby.  Since we have to gear up the boy, we no longer boot up at the car, so they are pretty useful for families.  We end up putting our boot bags on the top.  Hopefully they will be repaired or replaced over time. 

Denvern61
November 30, 2021
Member since 11/11/2020 🔗
14 posts

WOW, back from Colorado and TM is up and running......big thanks to management and snow operations.  Full month of December on most of the mtn, looking like a solid 40+ days on the snow this yr......now just looking for 150"+ of white stuff..... looking like days of old👍🌨️👍🌨️🍺❄️❄️

Denvern61 wrote:

MitchSH wrote:

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?