Offseason activity - DC Kayaking
6 posts
2 users
3k+ views
wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
May 18, 2021
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts

I mentioned this last year and I'll mention it again. During the skiing offseason, I enjoy kayaking in the DC area.

I created a guide for where you can rent a kayak in and outside the Beltway:

D.C. Area Kayak Rentals

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
May 18, 2021
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
I have kayak and I’m always looking for new places to kayak. Being able to ‘put-in’ is important. If you have recommendations, I would appreciate it if you could share.
May 18, 2021
353 posts

snowsmith wrote:

I have kayak and I’m always looking for new places to kayak. Being able to ‘put-in’ is important. If you have recommendations, I would appreciate it if you could share.

I believe the Northern Virginia Parks allows put-in; my brother does that on the Occoquan.

Fletcher's Boat House does as well, though I think you are expected to pay a dock fee. I think the same may be true for the marina near LBJ Park.

You may be able to unofficially put-in at Theodore Roosevelt Island.

The Washington Sailing Marina is another stop and I would expect a dock fee.  They used to rent kayaks but have seemingly ended the practice which is very disappointing for me since I live in Alexandria.

Four Mile Run near the end of Commonwealth Avenue in Alexandria works; that's where the Four Mile Run Conservatory Foundation kayak cleanups launch from too.

I can't speak for the other locations from personal experience as I am a renter (much more convenient than hauling/storing a kayak). The map on the my DC Kayaking landing page has links to all the locations I know of to rent.

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
May 19, 2021
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
I have a modular kayak. Point 65n purchased from LL Bean. It fits quite well in the back of my Subaru Outback. No need to place it on the roof rack. I love it.
May 24, 2021
353 posts

snowsmith wrote:

I biked down to Belle Haven Marina this weekend. It's a $10 launch free from their dock. It's right off of the GW Parkway south of Alexandria.

In theory you could put in at Jones Point Park for free, but I haven't looked closely at those docks.

June 3, 2021
353 posts

I checked out Belle Haven Marina recently:

1622758791_oitzeliwkdcg.jpg
$10 launch fee @snowsmith

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?