SnowShoe now opening December 1.
11 posts
8 users
2k+ views
bawalker
November 20, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Earlier today I attended a Ski Swap at Ski and Skate in Harrisonburg and found a ton of nice deals. I got me a 1 year old 158 Forum snowboard for $70 for rails and working on sharper precision carving.

Anyway... I spoke with one of the guys behind the counter at Ski and Skate and they were told that as of this morning Snowshoe has moved back their opening date to Dec 1. While this isn't confirmed yet on SnowShoe's site, I have no reason to doubt these guys as they planned their store sales around the Nov 24 opening date.

Just thought i would pass along the news... and can anyone confirm/deny?

Bradley
shearer519
November 21, 2004
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
149 posts
I was just reading the Pittsburgh paper and there was an article in there that stated that Snowshoe was going to open on Weds. Also they announced that the first 10 people to buy lift tickets this year will get free season passes. On top of all this they said the first 90 people will be put into a drawing for a free lifetime pass. You're allowed to campout but there were all kinds of rules to follow. For more details read the following article. Snowshoe Mountain Resort offers special promotion
tromano
November 21, 2004
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Pretty strange deal if you ask me. If the palce doesn't open on the wednesday, which they probabbly will not, then you are stuck waiting indffinately for your pass, even if you are in the top 10. Deffinately not a hot deal unless you are unemployed and homeless.
rmcva
November 21, 2004
Member since 01/28/2004 🔗
187 posts

Here's a link on SS's web site for the special.

http://www.snowshoemtn.com/openingday.html
snowcone
November 21, 2004
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Snowshoe will be open for Thanksgiving .. just it might not be open for skiing/riding. Here is the fine print on the season/lifetime pass contest:

"Opening day is currently scheduled for November 24. However, if weather does not permit us to open on that date, this season pass promotion will carry over until weather allows us to open the slopes. Please check snowshoemtn.com for the latest opening day schedule. By Monday AM, November 22, we should have a better understanding of our opening date."
JohnL
November 21, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Skiing at Snowshoe on Thanksgiving doesn't look possible based on the weather link on the DCSki main page. Are the temps reported in that link for Snowshoe itself, or for a neighboring town such as Cass?

Forget your rock skis, bring your mud skis.

Things will change in a week or two, so no worries.
Murphy
November 21, 2004
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Quote:

Are the temps reported in that link for Snowshoe itself, or for a neighboring town such as Cass?

I don't believe that comes directly from the Snowshoe weather station but I could be wrong. The only place on the web I have found data from the Snowshoe weather station is http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/RLX/HYDRLX and it only comes out once a day. That doesn't mean it's not out there, I just haven't found it. I believe the data on DCSki comes from Accuweather. I think it's from Elkins but someone once said it's elevation corrected (reads the same as Elkins right now).

To the best of my knowledge, the only stations near snowshoe that continuously report to the big weather web pages are Lewisburg, Elkins, Petersburg and Hot Springs, VA (maybe Davis too). Another good source is the Dolly Sods Wilderness Camera which reports temps.

Disclaimer: Weathers my hobby, not profession so I could be wrong about everything
Scott - DCSki Editor
November 21, 2004
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
The DCSki weather for Snowshoe is licensed from AccuWeather, and AccuWeather has a unique code for Snowshoe with data that does vary at times from nearby cities, so I believe some elevation correction occurs. Bear in mind that Snowshoe itself can have big temperature changes from the top of the mountain to the bottom of the slopes -- they have frequent temperature inversions that make it possible to make snow at the lower elevations than the higher elevations. So, in technical terms, weather at Snowshoe can be wacky. The Weather page on DCSki should give a fairly reasonable picture, but it won't be accurate 100% of the time.

- Scott
JohnL
November 21, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Thanks Scott. I know mountain temps can vary a lot from nearby cities. Sounds like Accuweather tries to correct for that.

(First post using Firefox. Seamless transition.)
tromano
November 21, 2004
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Glad to hear more people ar eusing firfox. Once I started tabbed browsing I never went back.

Wooo Hooo!! my 100Th post on DCSKi.
Murphy
November 22, 2004
Member since 09/13/2004 🔗
618 posts
Thanks Scott. I actually think Snowshoe even uses the Accuweather forecast on their own webpage. That's probably the best that's readily available.

I checked accuweather at the same time as the NOAA morning report from Snowshoe and it was over 10 degrees different.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?