New Lift at Seven Springs?
25 posts
10 users
5k+ views
peter
May 2, 2021
Member since 12/5/2015 🔗
19 posts
Peter here from Lift Blog. A reader sent me photos today of what appears to be the Avalanche lift being taken down. There is a Doppelmayr trailer and some construction equipment near the top of the old triple. Has anyone heard any details about a new lift?
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
May 3, 2021
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
Before the pandemic, I recall there was some talk about replacing one or both of the front-side triples with a high-speed detachable. I can't remember where I heard or read it.
Member since 09/20/2016 🔗
25 posts
Last summer they dug out all around the top of the lift, and we got excited that it would be replaced, but it turned out to be (seemingly) just a fix. We will be up there this weekend and will take a walk past the lift. Of course, upgrading that lift would be a huge lift (pardon the pun) for the condo owners.
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
May 3, 2021
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
If they are replacing the lift with a new lift, wouldn't it make sense to market that you're installing a new lift when you put the season passes up for sale? So either the lift is not being replaced or brain dead management missed a prime marketing opportunity.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
25 posts
They just closed the "early renewal" rate for season passes on Saturday. They might be thinking of announcing this later when they can show pictures to spur full rate pass purchases. 
Rickh
May 3, 2021 (edited May 3, 2021)
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts
It's being replaced with a fixed grip Quad from Doppelmyer. Hidden Valley getting the same. I heard this about two months ago from the Doppelmyer guys that installed both lifts at Timberline Mountain.
Rickh
May 3, 2021
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts

The real cool one is they are installing a Doppelmyer 8 person at Loon Mountain this summer, check out Loons advertising of the lift.

loonmtn.com

peter
May 3, 2021 (edited May 3, 2021)
Member since 12/5/2015 🔗
19 posts

Rickh wrote:

It's being replaced with a fixed grip Quad from Doppelmyer. Hidden Valley getting the same. I heard this about two months ago from the Doppelmyer guys that installed both lifts at Timberline Mountain.

Interesting. I wonder if the Hidden Valley lift is for the expansion finally.

1387252722.jpg

Leo
May 3, 2021
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts

While I am happy to dream too, and hope that truly is the case, I could also see it being to replace the two triples.  From a pure long term cost/ROI standpoint, two lifts take twice as much maintenance, twice as many employees to run, etc. Not to mention having two lifts right next to each other that go to the same place makes lines and crowd management cumbersome, at best.

But who knows, if they were thinking long term they would be serious about expanding there.  For multiple reasons.

peter wrote:

Rickh wrote:

Interesting. I wonder if the Hidden Valley lift is for the expansion finally.

1387252722.jpg

peter
May 3, 2021
Member since 12/5/2015 🔗
19 posts

Leo wrote:

While I am happy to dream too, and hope that truly is the case, I could also see it being to replace the two triples.  From a pure long term cost/ROI standpoint, two lifts take twice as much maintenance, twice as many employees to run, etc. Not to mention having two lifts right next to each other that go to the same place makes lines and crowd management cumbersome, at best.

That was my thought as well until I looked at the webcam and saw both triples still have their chairs on with no sign of any deconstruction taking place.

It wouldn't make sense to replace either of the fixed quads with another fixed quad. Hence my brain turned to the long-planned expansion.

May 3, 2021
1,576 posts
Beancounter Mauch spending money on new lifts....that is laughable. The only lift work they have done at HV other than yearly maintenance is to remove a  lift, the old diesel powered double lift adjacent to the Thunderbird trail. Gone never to return. I'll believe it when I see it.
Cole53
May 3, 2021
Member since 02/2/2021 🔗
17 posts

Wouldn't the sale of this property zillow.com earlier in the year mentioned by Laurel Highlands suggest that expansion of any form at Hidden Valley seems unlikely. If Buncher was to expand the resort's terrain why would he sale prime developable land that could be developed with the increasing demand and interest from skiers because of a terrain expansion?

May 3, 2021
1,576 posts
One word cole53....risk. They don't want to take the risk. 
imp - DCSki Supporter 
May 4, 2021
Member since 01/11/2007 🔗
299 posts
Buncher bought HV because they got a great deal on the fenced church camp property. They then got involved in HV to keep or increase the value of that property. Buncher is a totally different entity now than then. And they have no say in HV.  I am told the triples are leaving due to age and cost.
Laurel Highlands
May 4, 2021
Member since 10/29/2013 🔗
54 posts

Cole53 wrote:

Wouldn't the sale of this property zillow.com earlier in the year mentioned by Laurel Highlands suggest that expansion of any form at Hidden Valley seems unlikely. If Buncher was to expand the resort's terrain why would he sale prime developable land that could be developed with the increasing demand and interest from skiers because of a terrain expansion?

That property for sale is some distance away and does not boarder the snow tubing area where the lift had been proposed.  It is the property Buncher still owns and had planned to build a golf course community.    Buncher no longer owns HV or any property that would boarder current or  proposed ski runs.  However 7S/Nutting did acquire quite a bit of developable property which could benefit from an expansion.   At some point you would think a good bean counter would somehow want to try to monetize all that property they have within the resort, and with the current boom in real estate, there has never been a better time in many years to do so.

With that said, I agree with Snowsmith  and would be very surprised if that were the case, and if they do anything would be more of a plan to reduce maintenance and operation costs. 

peter
May 4, 2021 (edited May 4, 2021)
Member since 12/5/2015 🔗
19 posts
I now have it on good authority there's no new lift for Hidden Valley. More on the 7 Springs one soon.
May 4, 2021
1,576 posts
They are too cheap to fix rotting wood and pealing paint on the ski lodge so I doubt they would replace a lift at HV. HV and LM are the ugly step sisters to Beancounter Mauch's favorite Child, Seven Springs. I also noticed that they have started removing the chairs from the HV triple lifts like they do every year as required by PA regulations for maintenance and safety purposes. And they replaced the cable on one of the triples 2 years ago. Luckily, The Buncher's replaced the old double lifts with the quad lift and replaced the entire snow making system. 7S will never invest that kind of money at HV. The Buncher's were our savior. 
Scott - DCSki Editor
May 6, 2021
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts

Here's an official press release from Seven Springs:

Seven Springs Mountain Resort to Install New Chairlift

New Quad Lift Coming November 2021

SEVEN SPRINGS, Pa. – Seven Springs proudly announces the installation of a new chairlift for the 21-22 season! 

This state-of-the-art Doppelmayr Alpen Star fixed grip quad chairlift will replace the existing, venerable Avalanche lift.

"Our new Doppelmayr chairlift will greatly improve our guest experience on the front face of the mountain allowing for many more runs each day," said Joel Rerko, Seven Springs Director of Mountain Operations. "Travel time will now be only 4 Minutes, and 21 Seconds to the top; less time on the lift and shorter lift lines equal more time on the snow! We continue to be committed to our season passholders, homeowners and growing the sport as a whole. After coming off an incredible winter, we cannot wait to unveil it this coming ski season!”

The New Avalanche Lift will increase uphill capacity from 1800 to 2400 people per hour and will unload closer to the top of Tyrol Chairlift, allowing for better access to Stowe Slope and Trail. (No more plodding across the top to get back to the lodge!) It will feature 7 towers, 88 chairs and a 200 horsepower electric motor.  The lift will be 1,956 feet in length from loading station to unloading station and will cover 492 vertical feet.

The new lift will greatly enhance the experience and capacity for the youth and Racing Programs that are based at Seven Springs, and also the many youth and racing programs that visit the mountain each season.

“WPRC is grateful to call Seven Springs home,” said Jim DiBiase, The Western Pennsylvania Race Club Program Director. “It is always comforting knowing that we are working together with an organization whose goals align with ours.  We are very excited to see Seven Springs continue to support the next generation of skiers and their continued commitment to invest in the area we all call home.”

Bid farewell to our loyal friend Avalanche, Seven Springs and partner Doppelmayr began to dismantle the old lift this month. The NEW lift is scheduled to be completed prior to the 2021/2022 ski season!

This is yet another way Seven Springs is holding true to their commitment to its season passholders and to the sport we all love. After an incredible winter that included some turns in April, Seven Springs cannot wait to unveil it this coming season!

Season Passholders and Homeowners will not want to miss their new ride for next Winter, coming this November!

25 posts

1620583625_wovmjtobltcb.jpgThe top of the new lift is way higher than the old lift. You can see how close the unload is to Tyrol. This is going to allow for some serious laps, big improvement!

25 posts

1620584032_utetijodqkvp.jpgHere's a picture from the top of the old lift, to give some perspective. According to somebody, who knows how accurate any of this information is, the triples at Hidden Valley are next, then the North Face lift. Will this unfold over two years, ten years, never? Who knows, but this lift is a big improvement.

May 9, 2021
1,576 posts

Maybe Peter the lift blog guy has some intelligence. By the way, Peter’s lift bog site is very interesting. Everybody has an obsession and for Peter it’s lifts and rope ways. And he was totally correct.

Peter- heard any other news about HV or LM improvements? I am somewhat of a cynic. Avalanche lift had to be replaced since spare parts were no longer available? What impact will this new lift have on other aging lifts? Maybe one lift replaces 2?

making up for lost time
September 11, 2021
25 posts

I have a lot more pictures (in .jpg format) but they just won't attach when I drag and drop. Anyhow, they are putting in more pipe to upgrade the snowmaking on Avalanche, as well. The project is looking good!1631374117_znprsmlgjurx.jpg

September 11, 2021 (edited September 11, 2021)
1,576 posts

Nice to see investment in a new lift at 7S. Meanwhile at the ugly step children resorts;

HV - the paper towel dispensers in the Clocktower Restaurant bathrooms have been replaced. These bathrooms have not been renovated since the 1980’s. Apparently they can’t afford to fix the peeling paint and rotting wood. The paper towel dispensers exhausted the capital improvement budget.1631390248_xtkmvsntmvga.jpg1631389863_dvoikjrknxzc.jpg

LM - Beancounter Mauch is considering weather their billion dollar corporation can afford to change the lightbulbs in the slope lighting that does not work so that night skiing can return.

Scott - DCSki Editor
September 12, 2021
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts

making up for lost time wrote:

I have a lot more pictures (in .jpg format) but they just won't attach when I drag and drop. Anyhow, they are putting in more pipe to upgrade the snowmaking on Avalanche, as well. The project is looking good!

Sorry about the trouble uploading photos.  Did you try to drag and drop multiple ones together or one at a time?  The former might cause issues if there are large photos.  You might have better luck if you drag one at a time, waiting for the photo to upload/display before you try dragging in the next one.

imp - DCSki Supporter 
September 29, 2021
Member since 01/11/2007 🔗
299 posts
chairs hanging on the new lift

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.