Timberline Upgrades For Next Year
36 posts
18 users
10k+ views
mdr227
March 14, 2021
Member since 01/11/2016 🔗
193 posts
Has anyone heard what PN plans to do for upgrades before next season?   I know they did so much this last year (absolutely amazing how much they accomplished during a pandemic) and know they will continue to enhance Timberline, but just not sure of what their specific plans are for this nexst year.
SkiHawthorne
March 14, 2021
Member since 07/27/2020 🔗
10 posts

Not confirmed, but hearing the focus for next year will be on:

1) Expanding the new snowmaking equipment and pipes to more parts of the mountain

2) Continuing improvements to the lodge

3) Lights for night skiing

4) Parking lot improvements

My wish list is to spend time clearing out the glades.  They were great all season yet pruning will make them even better.

What's on everyone else's wish list?

wgo
March 14, 2021
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Bit of a tangent, but would the owners be up for allowing volunteers to help with the glade maintenance?
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 14, 2021 (edited March 14, 2021)
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

wgo wrote:

Bit of a tangent, but would the owners be up for allowing volunteers to help with the glade maintenance?

A very good question.  The best glades are the ones cut by skiers in off season by organized volunteer parties.  At Mad River the organization and supervision is done by a professional forester.  In general the (unwritten) rules are; no power tools, all cutting to be done with loppers or hand saws, nothing with diameter >1 inch can be cut, all cutting must be at ground level.  Glades cut by ski area management tend to be overthinned and lacking in challenge, creativity, and flow.  Compare, for example Jay Peak or Killington with Mad River.  

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 15, 2021
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

I can confirm that night skiing in definitely planned.  Was talking to one of the more knowledgeable ladies at the ticket counter about the fact that Massanutten also has 4-hr, 8-hr tickets, along with the night sessions.  There are weekends and holidays when Perfect North is open until midnight.

JohnL
March 15, 2021
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Piecing together info from a lot of conversations.

Expect a high volume business model - infrastructure will continue to improve, but crowds will get larger.

With higher volume, second lift to top in future.

If approved, more trails will be cut. Means less glades.

Parking lot will be expanded. Bunkhouse future TBD. Need a few more rooms on-prem for site-wide liquor license. Unless you get a waiver.

Likely a true 4 Seasons Resort - esp with site-wide license. You can hold festivals, etc. with that. I’m sure MTB will be a big activity.

And they haven’t begun to tap into what they can make $$$ wise post Covid with food and beverage.

A lot of the key people have moved to The Valley. Expect more of a PN influence than a WV influence.

kwillg6
March 16, 2021
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts

JohnL wrote:

Piecing together info from a lot of conversations.

Expect a high volume business model - infrastructure will continue to improve, but crowds will get larger.

With higher volume, second lift to top in future.

If approved, more trails will be cut. Means less glades.

Parking lot will be expanded. Bunkhouse future TBD. Need a few more rooms on-prem for site-wide liquor license. Unless you get a waiver.

Likely a true 4 Seasons Resort - esp with site-wide license. You can hold festivals, etc. with that. I’m sure MTB will be a big activity.

Interesting that folks are picking up on the need for parking improvements.  That has been addressed with additional land purchases.  I expect to see the entrance/base area reconfigured with more curb appeal as one makes the drive to the resort.  The patrol building will end up in a dumpster as well as the hodgepodge of scattered maintenance buildings which are poorly configured.  Yesterday, they were spreading rock throughout the main parking area which they didn't have time to do in December due to snow.  Lighting will probably happen this summer as well for expanded skiing time next season but not sure if they will go to the top or just on runs serviced by the mid mountain quad.  Improved snow making again with more fixed guns and replacement water lines.  The lodge will continue to be improved.  There is a real desire from locals to see mountain biking return so that should be in the works.  I'd like to see the slippery slope open on weekends year round.  Timbers used to do a great business during summer and fall and I think it could be resurrected.  The glades do need maintained because it's been 3/4 years since anything was done there.  Possibly a return to festivals and brew tests once we are post covid.  Unlike the previous owners, these folks will work it year round to improve the resort.  

And they haven’t begun to tap into what they can make $$$ wise post Covid with food and beverage.

A lot of the key people have moved to The Valley. Expect more of a PN influence than a WV influence.

Rickh
March 16, 2021
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts

Upgrades:

• Application to light all of Salamander has been submitted, so they are trying to light from the top
  • Mountain bike "hooks" for the chair lift have been purchased, expected to open this summer
  • They are looking at "small music festivals" post Covid
  • Purchased land across from entrance(on Timberline Road) for increased parking, assuming some kind of shuttle service and the barn will be turned into a nice restaurant
  • I was told to look for summer event schedule during May/June time frame, they would like to take a breather (they deserve it)
  • I have not heard, but would suspect more snow making that's what the Perfects do. Probably Twister if I had to bet.
JohnL
March 16, 2021 (edited March 16, 2021)
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Rickh wrote:

Upgrades:

• Purchased land across from entrance(on Timberline Road) for increased parking, assuming some kind of shuttle service and the barn will be turned into a nice restaurant

Yep. Forgot about that one. I think they still need to improve main parking area.

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
March 16, 2021
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts

With snowmaking, I hope they look at places where they lost significant snow during rains and thaws: Upper Dew Drop, the area towards the skier’s left of the fixed grip top station as you drop into Lower Dew Drop, Upper Almost Heaven, Lower Thunderstruck skier’s right, the bare spot on Upper White Lightning, etc., etc.

Mind you, we are mid-March and the resort has all signature trails open except Upper Almost Heaven—an incredible accomplishment and a testament to the hard work devoted to snowmaking over the summer. Bottom line: additional improvements will be icing on the cake. I am just being a bit nit picky here.

BTW, Twister is fine. No bare spots as of 15 March. PN can hold off on improvements there if they wish, although some fixed fan guns wouldn’t hurt.

Rickh
March 16, 2021
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts
One other item I've heard talked about. Finding a way to divert the water as is comes off the mountain into a retaining area. Is that existing ponds/lake or to be built?? 
Evans Dad - DCSki Supporter 
March 17, 2021
Member since 01/27/2021 🔗
59 posts

johnfmh wrote:

Mind you, we are mid-March and the resort has all signature trails open except Upper Almost Heaven—an incredible accomplishment and a testament to the hard work devoted to snowmaking over the summer. Bottom line: additional improvements will be icing on the cake. I am just being a bit nit picky here.

I was super-impressed with the way the snow held up this year- these folks really know what they're doing!

Regarding other upgrades, I hope they are planning on outdoor tables/chairs on the decks. 

Rickh
March 17, 2021
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts

On top of that, I'd vote for chairs in the snow with a few fire pits in front of the deck. They seem to have the space, it's just the logistics of blowing snow and keeping the pits dug out.

Evans Dad wrote:

johnfmh wrote:

I was super-impressed with the way the snow held up this year- these folks really know what they're doing!

Regarding other upgrades, I hope they are planning on outdoor tables/chairs on the decks. 

kwillg6
March 17, 2021 (edited March 17, 2021)
2,066 posts
That was done last summer to a great extent.  The snowmaking pond was mucked out and then had to be again after a gully washer in October.  The property purchased is in my back yard and I have had conversations with Boonie about the use.  Yet to be determined as of this time. The Timberline Stable property is now on the market for 2.2 million after being sold by the Herz's for around 350k three years ago.  20 acres and would be a good addition for future uses.   I'll be talking with the decision makers in the next few weeks.  Hopefully they will take some time off after the flurry of getting opened.  BTW.  They hired Amos Bennett who was the mountain manager for years and knows every nook and cranny on the mountain and how and where to make snow. Good hire.
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
March 17, 2021
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

Rickh wrote:

Upgrades:

• Application to light all of Salamander has been submitted, so they are trying to light from the top

[snip]

Interesting about the potential of lighting Salamander, Rickh.  I'd been under the impression, from past discussions here on DCSki, that lighting on Salamander would be prohibited because of the proximity to Dolly Sods Wilderness.

Woody 

Rickh
March 17, 2021
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts

Agreed, that doesn't mean they cannot try. It's an application. Here's hoping

bousquet19 wrote:

Rickh wrote:

Upgrades:

[snip]

Interesting about the potential of lighting Salamander, Rickh.  I'd been under the impression, from past discussions here on DCSki, that lighting on Salamander would be prohibited because of the proximity to Dolly Sods Wilderness.

Woody 

wgo
March 17, 2021
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

I've only heard of Amos by name but from what I understand this is excellent news. 

kwillg6 wrote:

They hired Amos Bennett who was the mountain manager for years and knows every nook and cranny on the mountain and how and where to make snow. Good hire.

Rickh
March 18, 2021
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts

Yep, that's true. But, I was told they filed the application. Worst that can happen is they are told no. 

Rickh wrote:

Agreed, that doesn't mean they cannot try. It's an application. Here's hoping

bousquet19 wrote:

Rickh wrote:

Upgrades:

[snip]

Woody 

RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
March 19, 2021
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts

Way more long term- there was an interesting thread (I think here on dcski?) about the western facing acreage the Perfect's picked up in the purchase, I can't find it but had an useful aerial/overlay.  Maybe someone can find and post link.

Some folks opined that the acreage wasn't terribly useful for expansion due to western exposure, which got me thinking about Snowshoe's western territory and Wisp's "North Camp" (chair 7), which seems to have the same orientation... if any locals happen to bump into Mr. Perfect or one of his lieutenant's could be a fun conversations starter!

Evans Dad - DCSki Supporter 
March 19, 2021
Member since 01/27/2021 🔗
59 posts

Rickh wrote:

On top of that, I'd vote for chairs in the snow with a few fire pits in front of the deck. They seem to have the space, it's just the logistics of blowing snow and keeping the pits dug out.

Evans Dad wrote:

johnfmh wrote:

That would be nice!  Even simple Adirondack chairs like they have at Alta would be great.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 19, 2021
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

Evans Dad wrote:

Rickh wrote:

Evans Dad wrote:

johnfmh wrote:

That would be nice!  Even simple Adirondack chairs like they have at Alta would be great. 

The trouble with Adirondack chairs is that I can get into one after a hard day of skiing.  I just have trouble getting out!

Rickh
March 21, 2021
Member since 12/2/2004 🔗
165 posts
Exactly, I was thinking mid-mountain Deer Valley but the same concept.
ZARDOG
March 21, 2021
Member since 10/25/2020 🔗
177 posts

TIMBERLINE - Have 

NASTAR Racing. Perfect North Slope offers NASTAR.  

This season ZARDOZ Renegades raced NASTAR at:

Bryce, 7 Springs, Blue knob, Bear Creek, Montage

Zardog 

nickhaas212
April 12, 2021
Member since 11/13/2019 🔗
68 posts

Any word on what they are using the old base from the silver queen double bubble for? It may be kept for a future lift to service expert terrain including more slopes is what I have heard as a rumor. 

The old tow rope near the terrain park looks like it will serve the area.

Any news on more upgrades?

mook21
April 14, 2021
Member since 12/30/2013 🔗
50 posts
Received email from T'line answering question about mountain bikes for 2021. Said they have so much going on from rushing to open and many other capita improvements to get ready for next ski season that they will not offer mountain biking this summer... BUT that it IS in the plans and will probably happen next summer.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
April 15, 2021
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts

mook21 wrote:

Received email from T'line answering question about mountain bikes for 2021. Said they have so much going on from rushing to open and many other capita improvements to get ready for next ski season that they will not offer mountain biking this summer... BUT that it IS in the plans and will probably happen next summer.

Thanks for the update. I suspect all the work they will be doing with snowmaking and installing new lighting for night skiing will make mountain biking a bit difficult this summer but it will happen at some point.

kwillg6
April 16, 2021
2,066 posts

The good folks at Timberline Mountain have been slowly getting back in the saddle.  After all the endless hours of prepping it to  open last December, they deserve the time off.  In the final hours of November and December 2020, some work days went from dawn to midnight.  Then opening it for a preview weekend in mid December was a real treat.  They are learning a lot of what does and doesn't work in the West Virginia location but one thing for sure, the gem of the mid atlantic is back!  If mother nature cooperates, I'd expect an earlier opening, say, Thanksgiving. That, along with another good snow year would get us close to a four month season once again.  

One thing for sure, real estate is at a premium in the valley and surrounding towns.  There are some properties on the market but one would have to have deep pockets to purchase now.  The renovations to Blackwater Falls Lodge should be completed by next winter and what used to be The Village Inn across from BFS will open soon after some serious renovations.  Mama Mia's which is in the former Tuckers location will hopefully open by the summer giving the valley an additional eatery.  I understand that CVR will be having Friday night entertainment at Quenchers at base of the ski area there through the summer.  In Davis, look for construction of a new restaurant and retail space in the grassy lot beside Blackwater Bikes.  The old Shop and Save building will be replaced with a new building for potential businesses.  Milos (Bright Morning Inn) is currently being renovated and will reopen with inside dining as well as a fixed up outside courtyard. No word on what will occupy the space where the old motel once stood in front of the Davis Riverside Park but many are anxious to find out. Tuscan Ridge, the large sub division just south of Davis has had numerous lots purchased.  The issue with that development is the need for infrastructure which could be coming soon.  As COVID 19 caused many to flee the cities, they discovered Tucker County and the wonderful outdoor activities here.  I have talked to lots of folks from other places who want to purchase a little piece of Almost Heaven to come to and enjoy.  Sadly, they are seemingly too late.      

crgildart
April 27, 2021
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts
No lights upper Salamander has definitely been a pervasive issue.. especially for people staying on that side of the mountain.  It's always been a to do going way back through the previous owner years but nobody seemed to be able to get approval from the governing agency to actually put lights there.  Sounds like it will take come kind of additional "influence" to get the powers that be to change their mind and allow it.
kwillg6
June 23, 2021
2,066 posts

Some for sure stuff that happening.  They are currently replacing the snowmaking pipe up Winterset trail.  That's a big need with all the slope side housing there.  I understand they will be doing the same on Almost Heaven which has been lacking the needed cover for a full season.  They ordered more snow guns for the mountain.  About half are the fixed Pole Cat guns and the rest will be moveable guns to augment what is already on hand. Water was not a problem last year as it seemed that they had enough capacity when needed.  Hope that continues.  Also understand that they will try to make snow by the first of November if the weather cooperates.  It's been a long time since I've skied on Thanksgiving in the valley.  Used to have to make the 2 hour trek and fight the crowds at the shoe for early season turns.  They tried to hydro seed this last month but gully washers moved all the seed to flatter locations.  They will give a try again at a later time. 

RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
June 25, 2021
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts
what is hydro seed?
padjaski68
June 26, 2021
Member since 01/21/2016 🔗
95 posts
Hydroseeding is mixture of grass seed and fertilizer sprayed down to grow big areas of grass. It is fast growing solutions to avoid erosion. But in this case the heavy rains washed it away before it can take. I didn't see any straw or hay to help the seed in place. Did it get washed away too?
kwillg6
July 6, 2021
2,066 posts
yes.  All ended up in the conservancy.  
padjaski68
July 6, 2021
95 posts

Yikes. Just wondering were they going to work on the lighting for night skiing or is that next Summer's project? 

padjaski68
August 11, 2021
95 posts
Any updates on the mountain with summer projects?
crgildart
August 13, 2021
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

padjaski68 wrote:

Yikes. Just wondering were they going to work on the lighting for night skiing or is that next Summer's project? 

Been a minute since I've logged in here and behind on homework.  But, I was under the impression that the main problem with lights on upper Salamander was Forest Service disapproved for some reason.  That's why there have never been lights up there in that area.  If the new owners could grease those bureaucratic gears and get that approval BIG WIN for folks with property on Salamander and those of us who like to rent from them.

mounthoya - DCSki Supporter 
September 23, 2021
Member since 09/20/2021 🔗
25 posts
More food options in lodge and definitely better coffee.  PN is finalizing renovations on the base lodge/motel.  Looking forward to continued improvements in snow making.  

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?