LHC's Laurel Trail Map
12 posts
5 users
3k+ views
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
February 17, 2021
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

In another thread, snowsmith asked that I create a trail map to show trails and slopes of Laurel that are not on the official map. Also shown are official trails. I tried to put placemarks at the trail's start.

1613603040_iofvizwvubvc.jpg

February 17, 2021
2,038 posts

Here's a screengrab of the upper mountain for a clearer look of the trails.

1613608243_xzsxyqfnnoav.jpg

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
February 19, 2021
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
very cool. 
GGNagy
February 21, 2021
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
Great markup! Hmmm. Looks like there would be a good future trail if The Slot continued skiers left of lower wildcat, and then turned back across the fall line above where you marked Deer Path, for a short steep or another glade. 
imp - DCSki Supporter 
February 21, 2021
Member since 01/11/2007 🔗
299 posts

everything on the map has ski or board tracks now, places too stupid for mere mortals. if they saw what was under them!!!!! rocky corner isn't rocky it is blue ice.

February 21, 2021
2,038 posts
Ice is a better base than rocks.
Josh P.
February 21, 2021 (edited February 21, 2021)
Member since 01/30/2018 🔗
8 posts

I was up yesterday and hit all sorts of tree runs, it was amazing!!

Question for you LHC, my kids and I noticed a trail as were in the trees skiers right on Broadway before Hegins Cut. Next time around we cut in right at the top of Hegins cut and followed a narrow trail towards wild cat, then it turned back to the west and down hill to Hegins cut. There was a large tree down that we had to navigate but it sure was fun, and hidden!

Also, going up the quad there is an overgrown trail you can see that heads NE a few hundred feet up from above the bottom of the lift then towards Dream highway. 

I’ll have to check skimap.org and see if these trails had any names.

Now that the Laurel Mountain secret is out I sure wish the Broadway quad would have been fixed up to run again, the place was packed yesterday 1613934037_uedslswssvtv.jpg

imp - DCSki Supporter 
February 21, 2021
Member since 01/11/2007 🔗
299 posts
the trail above Hegans cut was called deer walk, hasn't been cleared since 2004.  the narrow trail from the quad to dream was an access road for the lift install. has a big tree across the bottom.  still a few you haven't found!
Josh P.
February 21, 2021
8 posts

Oh I’m sure there are!

Deer walk was totally clear except one tree close Hegins cut 

I saw a lot of folks heading into the woods skiers right on snowbowl, but wasn’t sure where that came out. I had my kids with so couldn’t go to crazy lol.

There was also a few nice chutes at the end of Broadway down into Hegins, and Lincoln highway and everything around there was sort of make your own trail!

February 21, 2021
2,038 posts
Josh P.
3 hours ago (edited 3 hours ago)
Member since 01/30/2018 🔗
6 posts

I was up yesterday and hit all sorts of tree runs, it was amazing!!

Question for you LHC, my kids and I noticed a trail as were in the trees skiers right on Broadway before Hegins Cut. Next time around we cut in right at the top of Hegins cut and followed a narrow trail towards wild cat, then it turned back to the west and down hill to Hegins cut. There was a large tree down that we had to navigate but it sure was fun, and hidden!

Also, going up the quad there is an overgrown trail you can see that heads NE a few hundred feet up from above the bottom of the lift then towards Dream highway. 

I’ll have to check skimap.org and see if these trails had any names.

Now that the Laurel Mountain secret is out I sure wish the Broadway quad would have been fixed up to run again, the place was packed yesterday 

imp wrote:

the trail above Hegans cut was called deer walk, hasn't been cleared since 2004.  the narrow trail from the quad to dream was an access road for the lift install. has a big tree across the bottom.  still a few you haven't found!

Deer Walk was also marked on old trail maps as touring trails. The tree runs you skied are old glades cleared 50 years ago. They are in need of preseason clean-up. We've had some glade clearing parties in April and November years past that paid off this season. Sometimes we get about 20 people and the state park crew. Our past projects were brushing back Dream Highway, Laurel Run, the Kitty Kats, Doc's Forest Glade, Lower Liftline. I would love to clean up lines between Broadway and Hegan's and the trees from Last Chance to Hegan's. Join the Support Laurel Mountain Facebook group. facebook.com for volunteer information.

Picture from today in the Snow Bowl.

1613946189_uankizazuafn.jpg

Josh P.
February 21, 2021
8 posts

LHC I’m on that page, we talked a few Thursdays ago in the lodge, I was there with my two kids.

I’d definitely like to help out with a fall clean up, a few years in a row the dates didn’t work for me so hopefully I can make one!

February 21, 2021
2,038 posts

Duh, just put it together.

Josh P. wrote:

LHC I’m on that page, we talked a few Thursdays ago in the lodge, I was there with my two kids.

I’d definitely like to help out with a fall clean up, a few years in a row the dates didn’t work for me so hopefully I can make one!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?