Lodging at T-LINE
5 posts
3 users
1k+ views
tromano
November 17, 2004
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Ok, so I have never skied T-Line before. Everyone here obviously loves the place so I figure its time to give it a try. The biggest thing that has kept me away to this point was the lodging situation. What is the lodging situation anyway? I actually preffer to stay in a hotel sice its just myself and possible my girl friend. Any thoughts or reccomendations. --Tim
Glenn_C
November 17, 2004
Member since 11/14/2004 🔗
67 posts
Canaan Valley Resort has excellent lodge accomodations and they run about $67 per night through 12/25. The cabin rentals are pretty reasonable as well (there are percs to being a subsidized State Park). Since you've got your heart set on TL, you probably wouldn't be interested in their "Swoosh" package but just so you know they are offering 2 nights lodging, 2 days lift Tickets, 2 breakfasts, full Beech Club priveledges (sauna, pool, etc...) and $4.00 discount toward ski rental equipment for $111 per person up until 12/25. I've got a condo up in Davis but before buying, my family and I spent an inordinate amount of time at the lodge. Blackwater Falls State Park is another cheap alternative though it puts you about 12 miles from the slopes as opposed to the 2 or 3 miles with Canaan. Check out the websites--

http://www.canaanresort.com

http://www.blackwaterfalls.com/

Both are clean inexpensive alternatives to the standard condo rentals. If you've got your heart set on TL (and I don't blame you a bit...great terrain for the area) then you might consider checking out Timberlinerealty (http://www.timberlinerealty.com/). They have been known to offer some decent packages (discounted lift tickets) with their condo rentals though you won't come close to the lodge rates. Good luck...hope you end up loving CV as much as I do.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
November 18, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Highlander Village Inn
(304) 259-5551 William Ave Route 32
Davis, WV Map

Village Inn Motel
(304) 866-4166 Route 32
Davis, WV Map

The Village Inn Motel is the closest hotel to Timberline. Glenn's suggestions are also good but be advised that that if you do the ski and stay package at CV, you'll be skiing there as opposed to Timberline. Timberline offers a bit more vertical and challenge than CV, but CV has some nice terrain, especially when the dark side is opened.

PS And don't miss White Grass!!!! Even if you loath the idea of "free heel" skiing, the terrain there is magnificent. You would have to go to VT to find a better Nordic center. It's well worth a day of fun.
tromano
November 18, 2004
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Glen, John, Thanks for the Info Guys! I know there is a ton of coll stuff to do in that region and I have read all the discussion about T-Line, alot is complaints about lifts, etc... but reading between the lines it seems like one of the top places in the area for great sking due to the good snow they get.

I will be sure to check out either Cannan or White Grass on a weekend trip as well. I have X-C skiied before Maybe 15 years ago when I was in high school. We went with the Boyscouts for a week trip somewhere up in Central PA near Ski Denton. I remeber that it was really challenging to go down hill on a green level slope in the snow plow w/ no edges.
Glenn_C
November 18, 2004
Member since 11/14/2004 🔗
67 posts
The Highlander and the Village Inn are both excellent choices as well. Very close to the slopes.
If you don't mind driving a short stretch, there is an establishment in the little town of Thomas (2 miles north of Davis) called the Purple Fiddle. Excellent coffee, wraps, sandwiches and one of the largest selections of beer and wine in the area. Anyway...next door to it is the Fiddler's Roost. It's a little B&B that the Fiddle runs. It's small (just 5 guest rooms) and it is an older building but it's clean and very eclectic. Runs 49 a night on weekdays and 69 on weekends. Also, the Fiddle has the absolute best live acoustic bluegrass on Friday's and Saturday nights you'll find within 100 miles of CV. I never cared much for the BG twang until I heard some of the live bands playing in that place. Incredible...and you can sit on a couch 5 feet from the stage if you want to. Even if you opt for other accomodations, you should swing by the Fiddle for a good seat on Fri or Sat. Usually a $5 or $7 cover once the band gets set up but well worth it. Here's a few B&B pix http://www.purplefiddle.com/events.html and the Fiddle's main site is http://www.purplefiddle.com. If you're not into the music and you want a place just to unwind, they have board games lining the walls for patron's use. Great place to knock down some high end coffee on a cold winter's day over a backgammon board. Also offer two internet terminals free for customer use. I'd live in CV year round if there was work to be had. It's got a Berkely ambience that can't be beat. Anyway, I'm rambling...again have a great time this season.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.