Terrain parks
10 posts
6 users
2k+ views
Louie Shapiro
February 9, 2021
Member since 10/2/2020 🔗
3 posts
I ski at whitetail resort. I am a terrain park skier, or a free skier so to speak. So what's the terrain park situation at other resorts in the DC area? Whitetail currency has a 30ft jump, rail line, box line, and a park lift that is open most weekends. 
imp - DCSki Supporter 
February 9, 2021
Member since 01/11/2007 🔗
299 posts
at Laurel the park is terrain in the woods, way more than a park, no rail, 30mft log, no jumps, over 10 ft off a rock but with a steep landing. in  da glades
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
February 9, 2021
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Seven Springs has the east coast only 22 foot half pipe. Huge jumps in The Spot. I dunno, I'm not a terrain park type preferring the natural terrain a mountain has to offer just like imp says but Seven Springs has a lot to offer, some of the best on the east coast: https://www.7springs.com/mountain/parks-pipes/

February 9, 2021
2,038 posts

Seven Springs has the east coast only 22 foot half pipe. Huge jumps in The Spot. I dunno, I'm not a terrain park type preferring the natural terrain a mountain has to offer just like imp says but Seven Springs has a lot to offer, some of the best on the east coast: https://www.7springs.com/mountain/parks-pipes/

Louie Shapiro
February 9, 2021
Member since 10/2/2020 🔗
3 posts
I'll check it out, I heard they have a pretty good settup. 
February 9, 2021
2,038 posts
In years past they even made a skicross course in the North Park. The Alley is the most popular park. Seven Springs is staking a reputation as among the best terrain parks in the country.
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 9, 2021 (edited February 9, 2021)
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
I used to enjoy telemarking half pipes.  I would turn high on the wall, but not get any air.  Of course you have to wait your turn and not interfere with any serious pipe riders.  It develops useful skills needed for naturally occurring half pipes, like the one at crested Butte pictured by JimK that I have also done.  

https://www.dcski.com/articles/1617

I’ll be dropping this from the repertoire, maybe not a good idea with 3 artificial joints. 😁
RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
February 10, 2021 (edited February 10, 2021)
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts

No pipe of any kind at Whitetail this year?  In years past they've had that mini pipe on Jib Junction, towards the top if I remember.

Liberty has all their features built out but Vail couldn't be bothered to hire a few extra bodies to run the j bar, which is SHUT DOWN FOR THE ENTIRE SEASON.  Which of course makes the line at the Quad that much worse.

Sounds like Vail bean counters strike again.  

rbrtlav
February 10, 2021
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

RodneyBD wrote:

Liberty has all their features built out but Vail couldn't be bothered to hire a few extra bodies to run the j bar, which is SHUT DOWN FOR THE ENTIRE SEASON.  Which of course makes the line at the Quad that much worse.

Sounds like Vail bean counters strike again.  

Liberty was hosting hiring event for lift and mountain ops “hiring on the spot” as recently as January 25th. They usually have a work visa program with some international employees that didn’t happen this year. If they are running short staff not running that lift seems like an easy choice...

Louie Shapiro
February 10, 2021
Member since 10/2/2020 🔗
3 posts
I heard. They also closed their biggest terrain park, vertigo, for more acreage to allow more people to reserve for skiing. 

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?