Greetings DC Skiers from a new member
29 posts
13 users
3k+ views
Evans Dad - DCSki Supporter 
January 28, 2021
Member since 01/27/2021 🔗
59 posts

Hey everyone!  Just joined the forum and thought I would say hi!  I've been an avid skier in the area for a while and have an almost 4 yo son who I am introducing to skiing so I thought I would see what kind of local communities there are for info and for feeding the addiction :).  

We got him on skis last year at Steamboat and just got back from a trip to Timberline (the upgrades are awesome!  Timberline is BACK!)  and now he is excited to get back on the slopes!  

Cheers!

JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 28, 2021
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
Welcome.  The local place I often recommend for day-trips to ski with kids is Bryce Resort in VA about 100 miles west of DC.  Never too crowded with affordable prices and mild terrain.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 28, 2021
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Welcome “Evans Dad” to DCSki.  I have been a member forever. Here you will find answers to most any questions about skiing in mid-Atlantic area.  

I (age 80) started all my grandkids skiing at age 3-4, the youngest was actually skiing Cupp Run at Snowshoe at age 4!  I strongly recommend an abundance of lessons, both class and private.  It sounds like you already have your youngster hooked.  

What trails was he skiing at Timberline?

Again, welcome to DCSki!  Hope you enjoy the ride!

The Colonel aka MorganB

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 28, 2021
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Evans Dad wrote:

Hey everyone!  Just joined the forum and thought I would say hi!  I've been an avid skier in the area for a while and have an almost 4 yo son who I am introducing to skiing so I thought I would see what kind of local communities there are for info and for feeding the addiction :).  

We got him on skis last year at Steamboat and just got back from a trip to Timberline (the upgrades are awesome!  Timberline is BACK!)  and now he is excited to get back on the slopes!  

Cheers!

Welcome!  I started my daughter at age 4 at the Massanutten ski school.  She was ready for blues at Alta by age 7 just doing a few overnight trips to Mnut since we live 4 hours away.  Good ski instructors can do amazing things with kids who think snow is fun stuff.

What do you know of the Indy Pass?  Canaan Valley, Bryce, and Massanutten are are on it.  All have good terrain for beginners.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 28, 2021
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Indy Pass on 10% Off this weekend

Reisen
January 29, 2021
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts
Love skiing with my kids!  

We started both at 2. The typical let them play in ski boots first, then play on carpet in tiny skis, then play on flat snow in skis, then ski 10 feet from mom to dad. 

Daughter was skiing double blacks at 9 at Steamboat and Aspen last year, and son (6) is skiing blues. This has been a down year due to the pandemic plus impending arrival of our third child (in 96 hours). 

We like whitetail, but the beginner area can get super crowded. The kids absolutely love Snowshoe’s ski school, and it is well priced. 

The biggest thing is to get seasonal equipment leases through a local shop.  Not having to rent at the mountain is a huge benefit.  
wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
January 29, 2021
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts

Reisen wrote:

<snip>

The biggest thing is to get seasonal equipment leases through a local shop.  Not having to rent at the mountain is a huge benefit.  

I hadn't thought of that -- perhaps next season. I think I'm going to bite the bullet on skis for me this spring, but for my oldest son, that's an idea. For the younger one, if he takes to skiing, I could see doing that when he can get a 4th/5th grade snowpass if they are still around when he's old enough.

January 29, 2021
59 posts

Hey, thanks all for the warm welcome! 

January 29, 2021
59 posts

JimK wrote:

Welcome.  The local place I often recommend for day-trips to ski with kids is Bryce Resort in VA about 100 miles west of DC.  Never too crowded with affordable prices and mild terrain.

That's good to hear!  I have heard of Bryce but for some reason we never made it out.  I like the ideal of avoiding crowds.  Thanks!

January 29, 2021
59 posts

The Colonel wrote:

What trails was he skiing at Timberline?

He started on the 'learning area' with the magic carpet.  We booked him a lesson and hung out with him for a few minutes to see how the instructor was teaching him so we could reinforce his lessons.  We took off and skied for the rest of the hour.  When we came back he was doing snowplow turns and stopping!  After that we took him up on the 6-pack and took him down Salamander.  He got a little intimidated by a couple of the 'steeper' sections.  So rather than let him get scared I picked him up and skied down the rest which he loved!  He liked all the "fast turning" :). 

January 29, 2021
59 posts

Reisen wrote:

Love skiing with my kids!  

We started both at 2. The typical let them play in ski boots first, then play on carpet in tiny skis, then play on flat snow in skis, then ski 10 feet from mom to dad. 

Daughter was skiing double blacks at 9 at Steamboat and Aspen last year, and son (6) is skiing blues. This has been a down year due to the pandemic plus impending arrival of our third child (in 96 hours). 

We like whitetail, but the beginner area can get super crowded. The kids absolutely love Snowshoe’s ski school, and it is well priced. 

Wow, congrats on the new kid!  A friend suggested a purchase/trade-up plan, but the leasing option sounds like a better (cheaper?) idea.  I haven't purchased gear locally since my favorites Ski Center and Ski Chalet closed.  Which shops would you suggest we check out?  Thanks!

January 29, 2021
59 posts

marzNC wrote:

Welcome!  I started my daughter at age 4 at the Massanutten ski school.  She was ready for blues at Alta by age 7 just doing a few overnight trips to Mnut since we live 4 hours away.  Good ski instructors can do amazing things with kids who think snow is fun stuff.

What do you know of the Indy Pass?  Canaan Valley, Bryce, and Massanutten are are on it.  All have good terrain for beginners.

I'll check out the Indy pass, thanks!  And thanks for local skiing suggestions!

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
January 29, 2021
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Welcome, Evans Dad. Also having been know by kids and adults alike as the father of my children I get it.  My wife and I started our kids at age 2. They don't remember a time when they didn't ski and both are still with it as adults. I can't keep up with my 23 year old son but his older sister is much more laid back and will ski with me, lol.

Although a bit further away, Hidden Valley in Western PA's Laurel Highlands is also a good choice for children just starting out. It is not a tall hill but it has excellent snowmaking and I mean quality as well as quantity, great lift capacity, and a good ski school.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 29, 2021 (edited January 29, 2021)
3,246 posts

Evans Dad wrote:

Wow, congrats on the new kid!  A friend suggested a purchase/trade-up plan, but the leasing option sounds like a better (cheaper?) idea.  I haven't purchased gear locally since my favorites Ski Center and Ski Chalet closed.  Which shops would you suggest we check out?  Thanks!

Have you heard of Pro-Fit in Leesburg?  If you go, can check out the indoor rolling carpet that can be a way to get in some practice without snow during the off season.

I did both a season lease and buying gear from a local ski shop (in NC) for my daughter from ages 6-12.  Could get credit towards another purchase for gear that she outgrew that was still in good shape.  If you learn a bit about ski boots for kids, not too hard to find used boots in good condition at ski swaps in the fall or on eBay.  I preferred working with a local ski shop though.  My shop usually had used gear around and we got lucky a few times on both boots and skis.

ZARDOG
January 30, 2021
Member since 10/25/2020 🔗
177 posts

Hi, I am Zardog, being a parent is hard work. Sacrifice comes to mind. 

I have been working with my grandson for   (2 years). I do not get him out as much as he needs.  Have a granddaughter soon to try it next year.

one issue school attendance rules- Kids can learn plenty on the slope. drive time discussions, physics, exercise, mental health. Going out mid-week when no one is around is very nice to learn.  THE best I can figure out is mid-day leaving rules = credit for the day.

I have his required curriculum. 2nd grade  - winter- math Data analysis, patterns functions, and change, add subtract and fractions, Science - plants, be an engineer. language - write a story about going.   

The time we have on the slopes - the best days ever. 

skidome.org   "https://skidome.org/skidome2/instruction/kids/"  

Goes into learning models and biomechanics, motor skill development.  

Off of the menu  LEARNING  > Children > then 2 more sub-menus. 

A lot of fun and our lift conversations are worth every $ spent. The smiles, giggles are priceless. 

each child is different.  Start with a  private lesson then I was a helper.  he is ready for another private then will alternate group lessons.

"Pop Pop how do you handle the  lift if you are scared of heights?"  Kids are very smart. ❤

He was perfect getting on and off the lift, way better than I was starting out. 

USE the moving carpet first.  Technology allows vid and photos. 

1612008769_jexoaulnjlft.jpg

we now are at 4 generations of skiing.   

1612008588_tqxzqdtfpxpp.jpg

Enjoy.

Zardog

dukegrad96
January 30, 2021
Member since 10/21/2020 🔗
24 posts

Welcome!

Of the three Epic resorts...

Liberty has the flattest beginner area which is serviced by one lift. Then you move over to the other green runs that have a bit of a pitch off the Dipsy Quad. The green from the top of the main mountain (Dipsy Doodle) is fun for the kids but can get very crowded as it's the only non black off the top of the mountain. 

Whitetail has much better greens. Their beginner area has two ways down and two lifts plus a magic carpet. One the kids get done with that area, you can move to the EZ rider quad that has Sidewinder - a long meandering run around the mountain, and Snowpark which is the toughest green in the area. 

Roundtop has some great green runs. They don't have a transitional beginner area except a small magic carpet section. Then they have 3 green runs side by side (one also has another green that swings off it at the top) that are all gold for beginners. Not nearly as difficult as Snowpark at Whitetail but harder than any beginner areas at the other mountains. They are serviced by a quad and a triple so the lines generally are shorter than the lines at Liberty's Dipsy Quad or Whitetail's EZ Rider Quad.  

February 2, 2021
59 posts

dukegrad96 wrote:

Welcome!

Of the three Epic resorts...

Liberty has the flattest beginner area which is serviced by one lift. Then you move over to the other green runs that have a bit of a pitch off the Dipsy Quad. The green from the top of the main mountain (Dipsy Doodle) is fun for the kids but can get very crowded as it's the only non black off the top of the mountain. 

Whitetail has much better greens. Their beginner area has two ways down and two lifts plus a magic carpet. One the kids get done with that area, you can move to the EZ rider quad that has Sidewinder - a long meandering run around the mountain, and Snowpark which is the toughest green in the area. 

Roundtop has some great green runs. They don't have a transitional beginner area except a small magic carpet section. Then they have 3 green runs side by side (one also has another green that swings off it at the top) that are all gold for beginners. Not nearly as difficult as Snowpark at Whitetail but harder than any beginner areas at the other mountains. They are serviced by a quad and a triple so the lines generally are shorter than the lines at Liberty's Dipsy Quad or Whitetail's EZ Rider Quad.  

Thanks for the intel dukegrad!  The local resorts definitely take on a different persona when viewed from a ski-dad's perspective (like the world in general at times). 

I have been wanting to take Evan up to Whitetail, but have been hesitant due to the Covid test requirements.  How have people been handling this?

February 2, 2021
59 posts

ZARDOG wrote:

Hi, I am Zardog, being a parent is hard work. Sacrifice comes to mind. 

I have been working with my grandson for   (2 years). I do not get him out as much as he needs.  Have a granddaughter soon to try it next year.

one issue school attendance rules- Kids can learn plenty on the slope. drive time discussions, physics, exercise, mental health. Going out mid-week when no one is around is very nice to learn.  THE best I can figure out is mid-day leaving rules = credit for the day.

I have his required curriculum. 2nd grade  - winter- math Data analysis, patterns functions, and change, add subtract and fractions, Science - plants, be an engineer. language - write a story about going.   

The time we have on the slopes - the best days ever. 

skidome.org   "https://skidome.org/skidome2/instruction/kids/"  

Goes into learning models and biomechanics, motor skill development.  

Off of the menu  LEARNING  > Children > then 2 more sub-menus. 

A lot of fun and our lift conversations are worth every $ spent. The smiles, giggles are priceless. 

each child is different.  Start with a  private lesson then I was a helper.  he is ready for another private then will alternate group lessons.

"Pop Pop how do you handle the  lift if you are scared of heights?"  Kids are very smart. ❤

He was perfect getting on and off the lift, way better than I was starting out. 

USE the moving carpet first.  Technology allows vid and photos. 

1612008769_jexoaulnjlft.jpg

we now are at 4 generations of skiing.   

1612008588_tqxzqdtfpxpp.jpg

Enjoy.

Zardog

Zardog- thanks for sharing!  That's a beautiful thing you have with your grandson!  I bonded with my grandpa over feeding his cows and working with him at the farm when I visited from the "city". 

Evan has really gotten the bug and has been asking when we are going to go skiing again.  He had his first experience last year at 2 1/2 at Steamboat, but it was really more of a daycare experience which totally overshadowed the 1 hour/day skiing.  So at TL last week we did laps off the new magic carpet.  I have a harness/tether that I will use sparingly.  Have you used the harness before?  I hear mixed things about them...

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 2, 2021 (edited February 2, 2021)
3,246 posts

Evans Dad wrote:

Evan has really gotten the bug and has been asking when we are going to go skiing again.  He had his first experience last year at 2 1/2 at Steamboat, but it was really more of a daycare experience which totally overshadowed the 1 hour/day skiing.  So at TL last week we did laps off the new magic carpet.  I have a harness/tether that I will use sparingly.  Have you used the harness before?  I hear mixed things about them...

How old is he now?  Most ski schools start at 4, even in ski country in the northeast or out west.  But even with a 3yo it can be better to not use a harness.  What's helpful is to connect the ski tips to make wedging easier.  One version is called the Edgie-Wedgie.  After the first day of ski school (Massanutten) at age 4, they let me borrow one for free skiing the next day.  She didn't need it after the third day when she did ski school again.  Trick is to convince a 4yo that turning is more fun than straightlining.

https://youtu.be/5sxyGtUsQxc

Gibou Skier
February 2, 2021
Member since 12/9/2019 🔗
22 posts

“Have you used the harness before?  I hear mixed things about them...“

Thought about using one but didn’t. I used the edgie wedgie with some limited success. Kids disliked it enough that it motivated them to keep their tips together for their snowplow, lest I put the edgie wedgie back on.

I found that using the magic carpet at Liberty, CVR and others was great for introducing my kids to the sport (but annoyingly expensive, especially at Liberty). It worked best for me to slowly ski backwards and have them ski across the slope to me. Then I incorporated turns, again with going backward and the child skiing toward me. Added benefit was being able to monitor upslope traffic behind the child.

Gibou Skier
Member since 12/9/2019 🔗
22 posts
“I have been wanting to take Evan up to Whitetail, but have been hesitant due to the Covid test requirements.  How have people been handling this?“

I’m interested in people’s thoughts on this too. I’m on the paranoid end of Covid spectrum and so have not skied at all this year. Just don’t think I could relax enough to enjoy it if there were many people around, so weekend skiing is out of the question for a nutcase like me.

Skiing with young kids and avoiding indoor situations seems tough, maybe painful, exhausting and not worth it this season. But maybe take a day off in the middle of the week to avoid the crowds?

I’ve thought about a midweek day trip from NoVa to CVR or Timberline. Anyone have thoughts on which will have less people in the middle of the week? 
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
3,246 posts

Gibou Skier wrote:

“I have been wanting to take Evan up to Whitetail, but have been hesitant due to the Covid test requirements.  How have people been handling this?“

I’m interested in people’s thoughts on this too. I’m on the paranoid end of Covid spectrum and so have not skied at all this year. Just don’t think I could relax enough to enjoy it if there were many people around, so weekend skiing is out of the question for a nutcase like me.

Skiing with young kids and avoiding indoor situations seems tough, maybe painful, exhausting and not worth it this season. But maybe take a day off in the middle of the week to avoid the crowds?

I’ve thought about a midweek day trip from NoVa to CVR or Timberline. Anyone have thoughts on which will have less people in the middle of the week? 

I know you asked about driving to WV, but Bryce or Massanutten are well worth considering midweek.  In the case of Massanutten that means Tue, Wed, or Thu.  They aren't doing any night skiing those days so it's really pretty empty all day.  There is a special deal for lift tickets for 3:00-5:00 on those days, although that's late for a little kid.

Bryce has two areas with magic carpets.  One for really novice skiers.  Another that's a little longer with a bit more pitch, but still a pretty short slope.

Massanutten has two magic carpets in the teaching area.  The extra element is a feature that is a set of banked turns designed to help beginners learn to turn while going a bit faster than they would on very flat teaching terrain.  Mnut worked with Snow Operating last season on Terrain Based Learning (TM).  Snowshoe also works with Snow Operating.  It's a consulting company for ski resorts large and small interested in making the process of renting gear and learning to ski as painless as possible.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 2, 2021
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

CVR is pretty far for a day trip with children.  Bryce will be empty on all weekdays and very light on all but holiday weekends, and even then not too bad.  It's cheaper too, with great snowmaking, and about 100 miles from the Beltway via 66 and 81.  Only thing it's not good for is black diamond terrain, but about 7 or 8 good intermediate runs.

Gibou Skier wrote:

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
February 2, 2021
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
If you want real snow you have to get to the Allegheny Front resorts (Canaan, TL, Wisp, Hidden Valley(HV), Seven Springs(7S) and Laurel Mountain(LM)). I’ve owned a home at Hidden Valley for 15 years and ski HV, LM and 7S. HV is very family friendly, LM is too. 7S caters more to crowds on weekends but is a great place to ski on weekdays. Wisp is about 1 hour south and Blue Knob is abou 50 minutes NE if you want to stretch a bit. HV is a kiddie friendly place with a Master planned resort community of friendly families. If you want to try out the area, HV can be a good base and has many condos and houses for rent. And welcome to our DCSKI community.
Cycleski
February 3, 2021
Member since 01/10/2021 🔗
27 posts

Good morning, my family and I have been to PA twice this year and headed back up over pres day weekend.  One trip was two days at Seven Springs and the other night skiing at Whitetail.  Both times we went and got tested 72 hours before we left and carry the results with us.  A bit of extra logistics but no big deal.  I think Seven Springs is managing COVID rules better than Whitetail.  For starters, you can’t get into the resort area without an advanced purchase ticket.  The other thing is that they are staying on top of mask rules.  No mask, no service.  Only saw a few people in the lift lines not wearing masks and the lift operators said something to them.

As far as indoor things, we only go inside for rest room breaks.  We decided to purchase equipment instead of renting for multiple reasons and we bring our own food and drinks.  So far, we have not had any issues with getting COVID.

Cheers!

John

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
February 3, 2021
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

Welcome, EvansDad!  As you can already see, there's a great group here at DCSki.com.  

I joined 15 years ago and learned a great deal about the region's ski areas, bargains, ski history (lost areas), and snow conditions.  More than a decade ago, this group guided me in selecting my first shaped skis (I'd taken a 30-year break from skiing) and it turned out great.  The posts and articles here will have you jonesing to visit places you may not have even heard of.  (I didn't know about Timberline 'til discovering this forum.)

On a week-to-week basis, this website is great for receiving accurate reports about snow conditions and snowmaking,  And I think you can appreciate the value of DCSki.com in helping you find ski areas that will match your family's needs.  I've found the greatest variety and total length of green runs at Wisp (e.g., Wisp Trail, Backbone, Big Dipper) and Snowshoe (the runs off Powderridge Lift - an entire pod of greens that's served by its own lift).  But I agree that the variety of beginners' greens is good at Liberty and Whitetail, too, although the weekend traffic is heavy.  For long green cruisers I'd nominate Timber Trail at Canaan Valley, Salamander at Timberline, Flume at Snowshoe (when it's not crowded), and the trails at Wisp that connect the main mountain with North Camp.  And don't miss Laurel if you want avoid the weekend crowds.

A shout-out to Zardog for the great suggestions for incorporating math and science lessons into skiing.  Don't forget the opportunities to study the birds and trees, too.

Enjoy.

Woody

February 3, 2021
59 posts

marzNC wrote:

Evans Dad wrote:

How old is he now?  Most ski schools start at 4, even in ski country in the northeast or out west.  But even with a 3yo it can be better to not use a harness.  What's helpful is to connect the ski tips to make wedging easier.  One version is called the Edgie-Wedgie.  After the first day of ski school (Massanutten) at age 4, they let me borrow one for free skiing the next day.  She didn't need it after the third day when she did ski school again.  Trick is to convince a 4yo that turning is more fun than straightlining.

https://youtu.be/5sxyGtUsQxc

He'll be 4 in March.  I might use it when he gets a little uneasy on slightly steeper terrain until he gets confident.  I have the tip clips, I think they are the edgie wedgie brand.  When we came back at the end of his lesson the instructor wasnt even using them anymore and when we skied with him it seemed like he didnt need them.  He actually really likes turning!  Hopefully he finds that more fun than the adrenaline rush of straight lining :)

February 3, 2021
59 posts

Cycleski wrote:

Good morning, my family and I have been to PA twice this year and headed back up over pres day weekend.  One trip was two days at Seven Springs and the other night skiing at Whitetail.  Both times we went and got tested 72 hours before we left and carry the results with us.  A bit of extra logistics but no big deal.  I think Seven Springs is managing COVID rules better than Whitetail.  For starters, you can’t get into the resort area without an advanced purchase ticket.  The other thing is that they are staying on top of mask rules.  No mask, no service.  Only saw a few people in the lift lines not wearing masks and the lift operators said something to them.

As far as indoor things, we only go inside for rest room breaks.  We decided to purchase equipment instead of renting for multiple reasons and we bring our own food and drinks.  So far, we have not had any issues with getting COVID.

Cheers!

John

So I heard that you needed a Covid test 72 hrs before arriving, but I haven't seen that on the Whitetail website.  Is this a state requirement?  And if you ski weekly do you need a new test weekly?  (A friend of mine thinks he go Covid from standing in line to get his test to go skiing -crazy huh?)

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 4, 2021
3,246 posts

Evans Dad wrote:

So I heard that you needed a Covid test 72 hrs before arriving, but I haven't seen that on the Whitetail website.  Is this a state requirement?  And if you ski weekly do you need a new test weekly?  (A friend of mine thinks he go Covid from standing in line to get his test to go skiing -crazy huh?)

The travel restrictions for PA are a state mandate.  Few motels or ski resorts are trying to make a big deal of the requirements.  It's seems to be more of a "don't ask, don't tell" situation.  Someone doing a day trip is unlikely to get asked about what they did before entering PA.  However, getting a lift ticket means that someone agrees to follow all public health guidance, including travel restrictions.

https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/disease/coronavirus/Pages/Travelers.aspx 

I know someone who lives in Boston who gets a free test early in the morning every week so that she can go ski at Sunday River in Maine where she has a seasonal rental.  All the New England states, NY, NJ, PA have had travel restrictions for months.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.