Oz Run at Beech
4 posts
3 users
1k+ views
Keith_Moon
January 16, 2021
Member since 02/19/2019 🔗
204 posts
Oz Run is open for the first time in years at Beech - crazy!
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 16, 2021
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Keith_Moon wrote:

Oz Run is open for the first time in years at Beech - crazy!

That's a really fun trail.  Hope it's still open in a couple weeks.  Have a day in mind for skiing either Sugar or Beech.  Haven't been in years.

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
January 17, 2021
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

For those of us who have never skied Beech and don’t know the mountain, what’s the deal with Oz Run?  It seems to be out there all by itself with its own lift.  Does it serve only purportedly ski-on housing? What’s it like to ski?  Do you thinking it will be open on a weekday?

I hope to ski Beech this month, and on a weekday.

Woody

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 17, 2021 (edited January 17, 2021)
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

bousquet19 wrote:

For those of us who have never skied Beech and don’t know the mountain, what’s the deal with Oz Run?  It seems to be out there all by itself with its own lift.  Does it serve only purportedly ski-on housing? What’s it like to ski?  Do you thinking it will be open on a weekday?

I hope to ski Beech this month, and on a weekday.

Woody

What I remember about Oz was that it was a really nice long blue with nice views.  It's rarely open becomes it faces the wrong direction.  Snowmaking on the trails on the front side of the mountain are the priority.  It was open once during a trip with my daughter and her friend when they were tweens and just good enough to handle SE blue trails.  We had a very good time lapping it.  There is a bridge to get to it from the summit, so that's fun for kids.

Impossible to predict when Oz will be open, midweek or weekend.  Especially during a season when staffing is an issue.

Beech is a fun little mountain, even without Oz.  The real draw that made it worth driving up (and down) the mountain when I took kids was the sledding hill in the town of Beech Mountain (highest in the east).  Complete with snowmaking and hay bales at the bottom of the slope.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?