6 posts
5 users
1k+ views
wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
January 9, 2021
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts

Lawsuit: Pellets used in water filtration clog Montage Mountain's snow guns

Montage Mountain Resorts is suing Pennsylvania American Water for $34 million in damages claiming water-filtration pellets clog the snowmaking system and hamper the ski resort’s ability to blanket the slopes...

Scott - DCSki Editor
January 9, 2021
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Wow, that’s interesting. I’m kind of surprised there isn’t a filtration system at the beginning of the snowmaking system to block contaminants from entering. While that filter might clog frequently, it would at least protect other equipment. 
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 11, 2021
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Scott wrote:

Wow, that’s interesting. I’m kind of surprised there isn’t a filtration system at the beginning of the snowmaking system to block contaminants from entering. While that filter might clog frequently, it would at least protect other equipment. 

When I was trying to learn more about the different snow making systems, there was a clear difference between those that build in the filtering and those that don't.  Needless to say the systems with good filtering cost more.

Ratnik sells add-on filters for the snowmaking hoses.  It was founded in 1965 and is based in central NY.

http://ratnik.com/product/stainless-water-filters/

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
January 11, 2021
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
As an engineer who has worked on water treatment plant design, I cannot imagine any significant mass of particles in the treated water that would clog snow making equipment. Most snow making systems draw from open, untreated water sources like ponds that have far more chance of contributing sediment and other solids to the snow making equipment. Thus most snow making systems have filters. Perhaps Montage’s system excluded filters since they are using treated water? I still cannot imagine treated water creating this problem. I think they are getting some bad advice.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 11, 2021
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Oh . . . the issue was a spill into the reservoir from which Montage draws the water for snowmaking.

" . . .

Large quantities of small pellets spilled from utility’s water-treatment plant upstream at Lake Scranton into Stafford Meadow Brook and the PA-5 Reservoir, which is used by the resort for snowmaking, according to a lawsuit filed Dec. 28 in Lackawanna County Court.

The resort pumps water from the reservoir and pipes it up the mountain to feed a snowmaking system with over 302 snowguns.

The pellets, about the size of split peas, gum up a pumphouse and the entire snowmaking system.

The water company knew about the spill of the pellets but did not notify the resort, and the problem became evident in mid-2019 in pump problems and during the winter ski season of 2019-20, the lawsuit says.

. . ."

yellowsnow
January 12, 2021
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts
Sounds like demineralizer resins broke through.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.