Utah in Febraury?
9 posts
4 users
1k+ views
powderpig
November 15, 2004
Member since 12/5/2003 🔗
63 posts
This probably belongs in the trip discussions section but theres not alot of traffic there so I figured I would put it here instead.

I'm wondering if anyone here would be interested in taking a short (3-4 day) trip to Utah. I dont really have any skiing friends in the area and my girlfriend is too busy with grad school to come with me. I'm considering going solo but having others come along would be much better. Ive never been to Utah and its alot more fun exploring new ski areas when you dont have to worry about the safety issues of skiing alone, especially at places like Alta and Snowbird.

Im an experienced, advanced and adventurous skier. I go skiing to ski and enjoy myself, not to party all night. While I enjoy beers after a day of turns I also enjoy getting up early for first chair and freshies.

Im thinking of staying at the Crystal Inn or something similar in class/ price. If I could get another person or two interested we could split a rental car and possibly take advantage of the Park City quick start program and maybe hit Solitude or Powder Mtn. or someplace else. I'm looking to go in February sometime, maybe Wednesday - Saturday with a red eye home? All the details are very flexible at this point. If I dont get any response here Ill try epicski but it would be cool to find someone local, then we could possibly meet up and make plans for the trip.

This offer is open to anyone who is interested, just email me at gottajiboo at hotmail dot com and well get the ball rolling!

-Pig
(dying for some turns!)
ScotS244
November 15, 2004
Member since 01/29/2004 🔗
122 posts
Pig,
I might be down, but I'd wait until closer to that month to pull the trigger. I actually did the solo three day event last year and it was awesome. It's fairly easy to do the trip last minute on the cheap. I'd do something like this two or three times a season but my wife would kill me if they were all solo trips. BTW - I think the later half of February has traditionally been more snow friendly to the Utah slopes...
powderpig
November 15, 2004
Member since 12/5/2003 🔗
63 posts
ScotS, let me know if you think you can work something out. Late Feb works for me, as I said, Im flexible and I have lots of leave to use. Im definitely going to wait a bit before I schedule anything, flights are not cheap right now so no need to jump on something quick. Thanks for the reply, maybe there are some others out there who are interested also?

-Pig
ScotS244
November 15, 2004
Member since 01/29/2004 🔗
122 posts
I'll definitely let you know. The deals are out there but it seems sketchy right now. Wait until South West has one of it's big sales and hit SLC for $99 one way. With or without my wife, I'm going to make it out there again this year.
comprex
November 15, 2004
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts

If you are out there 2/19-2/26 drop me a line and we'll find some turns. I expect to stay in Sandy at the base of LCC.
powderpig
November 16, 2004
Member since 12/5/2003 🔗
63 posts
It appears that Southwest has put their SLC fares on sale today. $104 each way. Now Im thinking maybe 2/22 (tue) to 2/26 (sat). Maybe try to catch up with Comprex for a few turns. My trigger finger is getting itchy all of a sudden!
bawalker
November 16, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Dang it, why doesn't southwest fly out of Dulles????

I HATE going to Baltimore.
powderpig
November 17, 2004
Member since 12/5/2003 🔗
63 posts
Looks like America West just put their BWI > SLC flights on sale for $104 RT also...and they have a red eye which is just what I was looking for. Now it seems I can utilize the ski bus which doesnt return to Midvale until about 5:45 and still make the 9:30 flight out of SLC. Im looking to maybe jump on these flights this evening.

-Pig
powderpig
November 23, 2004
Member since 12/5/2003 🔗
63 posts
Woohooo!!! Im all booked up 2/22 - 2/26. Come on February!
Cant wait to make my first Utah turns and have a look around SLC. Definitely at the top of the "move to" list in a year and a half. Happy Thanksgiving to all!
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?