Tailgating, Driving Together, and Other Adaptations for COVID-19
20 posts
16 users
3k+ views
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
December 24, 2020
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

So, the 2020-21 season is underway.  Each of us who's gone out has had to figure out what to do about traveling with friends, eating, staying warm, using masks, and managing other tasks in new ways this year.  By no means have I figured everything out yet after only 1 day on the snow so far, so I have some questions ... but I've learned a few things, too.  

Thought it might be helpful to start a thread where we can share insights and ask questions.

My questions:

1. What can be done to minimize problems with fogging eyeglasses (which I always wear) or goggles (which I wear only during rain, snow, or snowmaking)?  The masks my wonderful wife makes have a nose-wire that helps me seal the mask against my face somewhat.  But I still find one or both lenses fogging up quickly while I'm riding the lift.
  2. Any ideas about keeping a sandwich or leftovers warm in the car until lunchtime?  Soup, tea, and coffee go into the thermos but that doesn't work so well for leftover lasagna.

A few things I've tried that worked:

• Bring a chair for booting up, taking a break at the car, and changing out of ski gear at the end of a day.  Makes these tasks much more comfortable!  My friend brought a folding chair.  I brought a collapsible chair.  His was much easier to manage, even though it's not as compact.  It's folding chair for me next time.
  • Use a rubber welcome mat to stand on when booting up in the parking lot.  Better than standing in all that cold mud, water, and snow, not to mention those glutinous masses of questionable origin that one can find when stepping out of the car.
  • My friends and I (unrelated, but being cautious) decided to ride with no more than 2 of us in a car, masked, and with windows open a couple inches.  Wearing ski pants, hat, jacket, and mitts or gloves turned out to be essential.
  • Assume that your vehicle will be your base lodge.  Use indoor facilities only for restrooms and pick-up purchases.

It'd be useful to hear others' suggestions, experiences, and challenges.

Woody

wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
December 24, 2020
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts

bousquet19 wrote:

So, the 2020-21 season is underway.  Each of us who's gone out has had to figure out what to do about traveling with friends, eating, staying warm, using masks, and managing other tasks in new ways this year.  By no means have I figured everything out yet after only 1 day on the snow so far, so I have some questions ... but I've learned a few things, too.  

Thought it might be helpful to start a thread where we can share insights and ask questions.

My questions:

1. What can be done to minimize problems with fogging eyeglasses (which I always wear) or goggles (which I wear only during rain, snow, or snowmaking)?  The masks my wonderful wife makes have a nose-wire that helps me seal the mask against my face somewhat.  But I still find one or both lenses fogging up quickly while I'm riding the lift.
  2. Any ideas about keeping a sandwich or leftovers warm in the car until lunchtime?  Soup, tea, and coffee go into the thermos but that doesn't work so well for leftover lasagna.

A few things I've tried that worked:

• Bring a chair for booting up, taking a break at the car, and changing out of ski gear at the end of a day.  Makes these tasks much more comfortable!  My friend brought a folding chair.  I brought a collapsible chair.  His was much easier to manage, even though it's not as compact.  It's folding chair for me next time.
  • Use a rubber welcome mat to stand on when booting up in the parking lot.  Better than standing in all that cold mud, water, and snow, not to mention those glutinous masses of questionable origin that one can find when stepping out of the car.
  • My friends and I (unrelated, but being cautious) decided to ride with no more than 2 of us in a car, masked, and with windows open a couple inches.  Wearing ski pants, hat, jacket, and mitts or gloves turned out to be essential.
  • Assume that your vehicle will be your base lodge.  Use indoor facilities only for restrooms and pick-up purchases.

Woody

This isn't that far off my commuter skier ways -- I may have wandered to the car for a refreshment on a few ski days. The rubber welcome mat and chair seem so obvious now and I'm going to do that moving forward.

fosphenytoin - DCSki Supporter 
December 24, 2020 (edited December 24, 2020)
Member since 12/20/2017 🔗
169 posts

bousquet19 wrote:

My first ski day this season was in Wyoming, I took an early season trip out west for 2 weeks.  I'd like to share the following:

Suggestions:

1) Bring extra masks (at least 2) and put them in your jacket/pants.  My cloth mask got damp / moist from breathing, having a cold damp mask stick to my face made me very cold.  I changed to my dry mask every couple hours.  

2) To prevent face mask from sticking to your face, you can put a mouth guard insert inside the mask. However, this does not prevent the goggles from getting fog up.   You can even sew hooks inside your mask to keep the insert stay in place.  See picture below for visual. 

3) Bring a piece of cloth to wipe the fog / moist in your goggles.

4) Cat track is useful.  Especially if you need to talk back to your car for breaks. 

5) For thermos, Zojirushi, a japanese brand is good.  Their thermos for drink is light in weight, sleek in design and retains heat well.  Their thermos for food container is good, it keeps food warm for 4-5 hours (even though not pipping hot).

6) If skiing out west and not driving, carry a small backpack for thermos and lunch items.

Experiences:

1) Skiing in the pandemic year is tough, hard to keep myself warm since staying indoor too long is not recommended.  For me, I do need to go indoors to "thaw" after every few runs, it is difficult to do this year. 

2) Eating outdoor in winter is not pleasant.  Hot drinks get cold quickly, cold food adds cold...  

3) My friend ate a full breakfast later in the morning and start skiing late in the day.  That way, she avoids going to lodge for lunch. 

4) There are folks from other online forum discussing going to the woods for bio break.  Not sure how realistic it is, for Mid Atlantic skiing or for intermediate skier like me.  I don't go off piste or to woods and I don't know how......  If nature calls, I must use the restroom.  

Challenge:

1) Keep warm.  As much as I like skiing, I don't like feeling cold all day and can't go places to warm up.  With that said, I don't mind sitting the rest of the season out, unless I get vaccinated.  

For the days I skied out west, there were times I debated w/ myself, which one is riskier to my health: 1) get sick from staying out in the cold too long or; 2) get sick from exposing to the virus by staying indoor too long? 

1608868446_qmfsltuwcnai.jpg

Scott - DCSki Editor
December 24, 2020
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts

fosphenytoin wrote:

(@scott, I tried to post a picture in PNG format but unable to, it said file format is not supported?)

Things to check: make sure the filename ends in ".png", and that the file isn't too large.  (I forget the exact upper limit I set; usually you won't hit it if uploading a single image at a time.). If that doesn't help, if you e-mail me the photo you tried uploading I can take a closer look.  (You can find my e-mail address here.)

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
songfta
December 24, 2020
Member since 05/10/2004 🔗
51 posts

bousquet19 wrote:

My questions:

Two things that work well for me:

1. Use a mask with some sort of "dome" structure. KN95 masks work really well.

2. To prevent fogging, use the hospital trick of a bandage or medical tape over the nose. Yes, this means you can't lower your mask - honestly, it's best to just leave it on if you can and minimize touching it, so this shouldn't be a big issue. Otherwise, make sure it is as flush to your face as possible so the exhaust goes either down or to the sides.

1. Any ideas about keeping a sandwich or leftovers warm in the car until lunchtime?  Soup, tea, and coffee go into the thermos but that doesn't work so well for leftover lasagna.

Get a really good cooler (e.g. Yeti) and put heat packs inside. Coolers can hold in heat as well, but you want a good one to do the job. 

That should be the mantra for the season: your car is your base lodge. The tips on a folding chair and a mat are perfect. Also, don't discount the idea of bringing a portable grill or camp stove for heating things.

Goback todc
December 25, 2020
Member since 12/8/2020 🔗
30 posts

Nothing has changed for me, I never use the restrooms in the lodge anyway, never pay for food on the mtn and always bring my own drinks. The best way to keep your glasses from fogging up while wearing a mask on the lift is to not wear the mask on the lift.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
December 25, 2020
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

The best way to keep your glasses from fogging up while wearing a mask on the lift is to not wear the mask on the lift.

Dumb dangerous idea!

Goback todc
December 25, 2020 (edited December 25, 2020)
Member since 12/8/2020 🔗
30 posts

Please don't assume, when you do that you make an @$$ out of u and me

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jvchamary/2020/06/30/face-mask-outdoors-coronavirus/?sh=3c09595e1822

The Colonel wrote:

The best way to keep your glasses from fogging up while wearing a mask on the lift is to not wear the mask on the lift.

Dumb dangerous idea!

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
December 25, 2020
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
Ryanga
December 25, 2020 (edited December 25, 2020)
Member since 04/29/2020 🔗
6 posts

The Colonel wrote:

Dumb dangerous idea!

So you live in the same house with the people on your chair, or you’re on the lift alone, taking your mask down is harmless

dclivejazz
December 26, 2020
Member since 03/5/2017 🔗
55 posts

FYI, the rules at the local Vail resorts are that you must wear your mask/facial covering over your mouth and nose while in the lift line, on the lift and in the unloading area (and also in the indoor areas, of course).

I’ve seen some people removing theirs once they are riding the lift, a fair amount while gathering in the drop-off areas and a few even in line. I’ve only been out twice so far and I haven’t seen any enforcement of these rules with people who are breaking them. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen, just that I’ve seen maskless people sauntering right by the lift attendants without any action taken. 90-95%, maybe more, are complying, though, at least in the lift line. 

I’ve worn my mask the whole time just because I get used to it and it’s easier that way but it is technically OK not to wear it while on your run. That may help explain why some people seem to forget to put theirs back on when they re-enter a lift line.

The good news is that even in the lift lines people are pretty decent about keeping their distance, apart from groups that are together, and everyone is outside.

jpetraiuolo
December 26, 2020
Member since 02/11/2020 🔗
54 posts

Bousquet19 great thread!

Although it is a tough pill to swallow, I think the best solution is spending less time on the slopes each ski session. I try to push my limit for how long I can go without stopping and then stop for good. It isn't too different than my pre-covid approach anyway. Once, I unclick my boots at lunch and eat greasy food I can only do a few more runs before I want to call it quits. I try to avoid the lodge at all costs unless I need to go to the bathroom. I always ski with a backpack on that has protein bars, water, etc. so that if I need something I can get it on the lift. It isn't ideal but I'd rather ski for 3-4-5 hours straight and call it a day vs. not ski at all. Any time on the mountain this year is a bonus!

As for masks and goggles I have just been lifting up my goggles on the chairlift. I hope someone on this thread is very creative! I have been wearing the Underarmour mask when I ski which has preformed pretty well. I also keep a disposable in my ski jacket. 

Vermont
December 27, 2020
Member since 12/26/2019 🔗
174 posts

fosphenytoin wrote:

bousquet19 wrote:

My first ski day this season was in Wyoming, I took an early season trip out west for 2 weeks.  I'd like to share the following:

Suggestions:

1) Bring extra masks (at least 2) and put them in your jacket/pants.  My cloth mask got damp / moist from breathing, having a cold damp mask stick to my face made me very cold.  I changed to my dry mask every couple hours.  

2) To prevent face mask from sticking to your face, you can put a mouth guard insert inside the mask. However, this does not prevent the goggles from getting fog up.   You can even sew hooks inside your mask to keep the insert stay in place.  See picture below for visual. 

3) Bring a piece of cloth to wipe the fog / moist in your goggles.

4) Cat track is useful.  Especially if you need to talk back to your car for breaks. 

5) For thermos, Zojirushi, a japanese brand is good.  Their thermos for drink is light in weight, sleek in design and retains heat well.  Their thermos for food container is good, it keeps food warm for 4-5 hours (even though not pipping hot).

6) If skiing out west and not driving, carry a small backpack for thermos and lunch items.

Experiences:

1) Skiing in the pandemic year is tough, hard to keep myself warm since staying indoor too long is not recommended.  For me, I do need to go indoors to "thaw" after every few runs, it is difficult to do this year. 

2) Eating outdoor in winter is not pleasant.  Hot drinks get cold quickly, cold food adds cold...  

3) My friend ate a full breakfast later in the morning and start skiing late in the day.  That way, she avoids going to lodge for lunch. 

4) There are folks from other online forum discussing going to the woods for bio break.  Not sure how realistic it is, for Mid Atlantic skiing or for intermediate skier like me.  I don't go off piste or to woods and I don't know how......  If nature calls, I must use the restroom.  

Challenge:

1) Keep warm.  As much as I like skiing, I don't like feeling cold all day and can't go places to warm up.  With that said, I don't mind sitting the rest of the season out, unless I get vaccinated.  

For the days I skied out west, there were times I debated w/ myself, which one is riskier to my health: 1) get sick from staying out in the cold too long or; 2) get sick from exposing to the virus by staying indoor too long? 

1608868446_qmfsltuwcnai.jpg

With the restrictions I found Killington works quite well, you have 3 covered lifts to choose from to help keep you out of the elements as chairlifts are the coldest part of skiing, they will let you ride by yourself if you ask, they are doing a great job of getting lots of different lifts and base areas open

have not seen or heard of anyone going to bathroom outside especially women that just wouldn’t work in ski clothes, theirs plenty of bathrooms available and easy to get to 

skiing in the trees you are also protected from the wind etc , I taught a guy couple weeks ago to ski the trees 🌲 his skiing on trails then greatly improved, I highly recommend learning it opens up so much more of the mountains to ski

using neck gators work great for covering your face and you just spin it now and then to keep it dry.

Grip-Walk for ski boots is a great way to walk around safely and easier , it feels like your walking on a rubber mat and has a bend that makes walking more natural, they can be added to some ski boots just switching out the plates at toe and heel, they are on permanently so you don’t have anything to carry 

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
December 27, 2020 (edited December 27, 2020)
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

Grip walk interesting.  

I dislike alpine boots and use AT or tele gear for all skiing.  The boots are much more comfortable and have good grip on icy surfaces.  Grip walk apparently requires a compatible binding.   In former days I used cat tracks on Langes.  

JohnL
December 27, 2020
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

skitalk.com

Phil knows his stuff.

Personally, ski boots aren’t that tough to walk around in, and I’ll take alpine performance over every thing else.
dukegrad96
December 28, 2020
Member since 10/21/2020 🔗
24 posts

Car lighter slow cooker

lowes.com

Car lighter warming lunch box

Hot Logic Food Warming Tote 12V, Lunch, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074TZKCCV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_M6L6FbGM4Y75K?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

dukegrad96
December 28, 2020
24 posts

Denis wrote:

Grip walk interesting.  

I dislike alpine boots and use AT or tele gear for all skiing.  The boots are much more comfortable and have good grip on icy surfaces.  Grip walk apparently requires a compatible binding.   In former days I used cat tracks on Langes.  

I use Yak Trax and they work great. Most top line new bindings are alpine and grip walk compatible. 

dukegrad96
December 28, 2020
24 posts

fosphenytoin wrote:

I second and third Zojirushi as a great brand. 

Goback todc
February 2, 2021
Member since 12/8/2020 🔗
30 posts
Bonzski
February 2, 2021
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

Sugarbush has some too.

Goback todc wrote:

This seems like a good idea

Ski and Tell