IKON Pass Reservations
9 posts
6 users
2k+ views
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
November 9, 2020
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Some IKON destinations require advance reservations.  Our group is heading to Big Sky in Feb 2021 and reservations are required.

I signed on to my acct, selected my date, and confirmed their terms.  One must do one reservation for each day.

The whole process took 5 minutes max

Here's the link

https://www.ikonpass.com/en/reservations

itdoesntmatter - DCSki Supporter 
November 9, 2020
Member since 01/17/2007 🔗
158 posts

I wish I was more positive about heading out west to CO in March.  I've got my IKON pass, booked places to stay (that are all cancelable), even just made parking reservations today for Copper.  

But I'm afraid that COVID is going to shut everything down. What if states implement a 14 day quarentine policy?  

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
November 10, 2020
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

In our group text last night, we have several people now on the fence.  It even has me pondering whether to defer my Ikon Pass to 21/22 and just pay to play this year.   Last week, we were looking at lodging now we may end up canceling our trip.

itdoesntmatter wrote:

But I'm afraid that COVID is going to shut everything down. What if states implement a 14 day quarentine policy?  

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
November 10, 2020
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

I am a snow chaser.  I love powder and would gladly trade 10 groomer days for 1 powder day.  My SOP when living in NoVA was to make a decision 24 hrs. out based on all the weather sources available, go to work the next morning with a fully loaded car, tell our secretary/receptionist that I’d be taking a mental health day tomorrow, then drive to WV directly after work.  Generally I’d stay at Blackwater falls lodge which has enough capacity that a weekday walk-up is never a problem.  Get fresh tracks usually at Whitegrass, late lunch, then drive home.  I’ve long since aged out of the demographic that drives both ways and skis all on the same day.

It will be a while before my new hip is ready for skiing, but I’m wondering what all this reservation stuff will mean for my cohort of snow chasers.

Moved this from the Snowshoe thread; it fits better here.  Got to retrain my fingers for the new website.  😁

wgo
November 10, 2020
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

I would think that for the local mid-atlantic resorts any midweek powder chasing should still work. I know that the resorts are trying to encourage people to ski midweek rather than on weekends but this is not possible/easy to do for many people, in which case midweek capacity would stay below the max threshold. We'll have to wait to know for sure. And of course it is a different story for the Western destination resorts.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 10, 2020
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

The only state out west that has travel restrictions at the moment is New Mexico.  Been watching the situation a lot since I and a dozen friends have lodging and flight reservations for Taos in Feb.  I'm feeling 50-50 that trip will actually happen.

I'll be surprised if UT, CO, WY, ID, or MT ever try travel restrictions.  The states in New England that have had them for months are still seeing an increase in COVID-19 cases in recent weeks.  Mostly because of social events involving local residents.  NM is finding that since most of the out-of-state visitors are driving from neighboring states, the travel restrictions that required a 14-day self-quarantine is not effective.  Especially a problem in Las Cruces, which is close to El Paso.  El Paso has one of the worst situations in the country right now.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 10, 2020
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

I made Ikon reservations for two Ikon Partner resorts the evening of Nov. 9.  Very easy.

Most of the Ikon Partners are making use of the Ikon Reservation system.  The Powdr resorts are using parking reservations.  Alterra resorts on Ikon are not requiring reservations of any kind so far.

ZARDOG
November 13, 2020
Member since 10/25/2020 🔗
177 posts

Liberty open at 10 am vs 9 midweek kills the 9-12 run and back in time for an 8 hr workday (1-9 pm) . that was my favorite plan 2 times a week.

this vid is an example of nice during mid-week - Libery mid week   

None of us know what any state will do. According to Maryland, the most we were shut was 30%. "70% of the economy was running = fuel, food, booze"  But mobility was off  70%. 

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
November 13, 2020
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
Nice vid, thanks.  Good skier.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.