Massanutten - guidance for the upcoming season
7 posts
3 users
wgo
2 months ago (edited 2 months ago)
Member since 02/10/2004
1,261 posts

Mnut has provided some guidance on the policies and procedures for the upcoming season:

https://www.massresort.com/about/recovery/recovery/#page-946

Of note:

• Capacity will be limited, with first priority given to passholders/property owners and second priority given to overnight guests. 
  • Assume that max capacity will be reached during peak periods and weekends
  • There may be no walk up ticket sales at all, regardless of capacity
  • No sharing of a lift chair with members who are not in your party

My son and already have our season passes, but my wife and daughter do do since they did not think they would be going enough to break even. I'll probably go ahead and switch to a family pass given the new policy (I already checked with Mnut and they will credit the cost of the 2 individual passes we already bought towards a family pass)

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
one month ago
Member since 12/10/2008
2,226 posts

Massanutten is about to end the early season discount pricing.  There is a new Family Pass.  The prices will go up one more time on Dec. 11

The night hours will be a bit less than usual.

Mon: 9am-9pm

Tue, Wed, Thu: 9am-5pm

Fri, Sat, Sun, holidays: 9am-9pm

wgo
24 days ago (edited 24 days ago)
Member since 02/10/2004
1,261 posts

I had a very pleasant conversation with Ian from the Massanutten ski office and I have some tentative information that I can share. I must emphasize that the info in this post is his best guess at this point, not a firm commitment. The final information should be available at massresort.com/ski by mid-November. Having said that, here is what I learned:

• The current thinking is that season passholders will NOT have to make reservations. They should be able to just show up at the resort, boot up in their car, and start skiing or boarding.
  • Property owners, overnight guests, and day-trippers will need reservations. It will probably work something like this:
    • Around 30 days out, property owners will be able to make reservations
    • Overnight guests will be able to make reservations around 21 days out
    • If any slots are still left, then people wishing to just buy a ticket for the day can make reservations starting at 10 to 14 days out
  • Anyone buying tickets online will still need to actually get the physical lift ticket at the resort. The resort is still working on a plan to spread people out to avoid having large groups congregate in a small area when picking up the tickets.
  • The resort may extend the Nov 1 deadline for full refunds - they recognize the public health situation remains fraught and seem to willing to adjust refund and deferral policies accordingly. 

Given the first point I went ahead and turned the 2 individual passes I had previously bought into a 4 person family pass. Massanutten had previously let me know that I could apply the previous cost toward the purchase of the family pass, so that is what I did. Even if we don't quite break even on the marginal cost of the pass for my wife and daughter the convenience and flexibility will more than make up for that.

fosphenytoin - DCSki Supporter
24 days ago
Member since 12/20/2017
113 posts
Thanks for the info.  What about IndyPass holder, does it categorize to 1st bullet point as pass holder?  
I have not gotten IndyPass but am considering.  
marzNC - DCSki Supporter
24 days ago
Member since 12/10/2008
2,226 posts

Thanks for the info.  Sounds like they are working hard to come up with a system that balances access for the different types of folks.  I would guess that they'll sell a fair number of Special Value Passes and Family Passes.

I went ahead and got a Full Season Pass since I plan to be at Mnut for two different weeks in January.  Hoping the weather will be good for another short stay in late February as well.

wgo
23 days ago (edited 23 days ago)
Member since 02/10/2004
1,261 posts

That's a great question and one that I did not ask. I would suggest calling the Mnut ski office, 1-540-289-4954. I have always found them to be very responsive. Let us know what you find out!

fosphenytoin wrote:

Thanks for the info.  What about IndyPass holder, does it categorize to 1st bullet point as pass holder?  
I have not gotten IndyPass but am considering.  
wgo
7 hours ago
Member since 02/10/2004
1,261 posts

I think it has been posted elsewhere, but just in case: as of now the current thinking is that Indy Pass holders will not need a reservation. Current Winter planning guide (updated as of Nov 8) here: Massanutten Winter Planning

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.