4 posts
3 users
1k+ views
nakedskier
September 18, 2020
Member since 02/3/2005 🔗
93 posts

Am I nuts for thinking this?!  

I purchased the MCP for next ski season and I have a ton of vacation time at the job so I'm thinking of taking my pup with me on my next ski trip this winter.  He's a great road trip buddy and we've done long road trips up to Maine multiple times.  This multi-day road trip would be something new, however.  

I know he won't be actually with me on the slopes; I'm thinking of putting him up in some doggy daycare places in the towns where I ski.  And on days off, we can go explore the snowshoe trails.  

I know places like Summit County (A-Basin), Jackson (JH), Salt Lake City (Alta, Snowbird) have doggy daycare and I have proof that all his shots up to date so getting him in the intial intake process shouldn't be too hard at new daycares.  I also realize that this will be a logistical nightmare as I'll need reservations for everything (ski resort, pet-friendly hotel, daycare, etc.).  

But has anyone done this or even thought about it before?

fosphenytoin - DCSki Supporter 
September 18, 2020
Member since 12/20/2017 🔗
169 posts

Assuming you wlll be staying at hotels for your ski safari trip?  If so, can you leave the dog at hotel?  I don't have pets but travelled w/ friends on a ski trip and they brought their dog along.  We left the dog in the room and out skiing during the day.  

Driving out west for MCP road trip does not sound crazy.  Many people do that, you can hit SLC (AltaBird) + JH/GT + Bgi Sky in one loop using MCP, plus it does not have black out dates.  I bought MCP this year and thought it works out better (for me) because I don't have to deal w/ reservations / black out dates for the places I plan to ski.  

Driving is definitely safer.  Closest MCP destination from DC metro area will be 20 hours driving.  Like you, I have accumulated tons of vacation hours and already maxed out (ie. no longer accumulating).  But I can't take too many days off, so flying is the only feasible option for me.  

If you get Indy on top of MCP, you can hit more resorts along the way as you head out west.  

dwm8a
September 21, 2020
Member since 02/23/2017 🔗
55 posts

I am considering this too, and will follow this thread. One note for SLC: dogs are not allowed in the Cottonwoods, so if you plan to ski Alta/Snowbird/Solitude/Brighton, you'll have to stay off the mountain and leave the dog where you're staying (or at a doggie daycare).

nakedskier
September 24, 2020
Member since 02/3/2005 🔗
93 posts

dwm8a wrote:

I am considering this too, and will follow this thread. One note for SLC: dogs are not allowed in the Cottonwoods, so if you plan to ski Alta/Snowbird/Solitude/Brighton, you'll have to stay off the mountain and leave the dog where you're staying (or at a doggie daycare).

That's exactly what I am planning on doing.  Maybe getting an AirBnB in SLC that is pet friendly and then putting him up in doggy daycare before I head to the mountain.  A cursory search online shows plenty of doggy daycares in SLC, JH, and Summit counties.  And I bet Rover would be able to help is the other places like Aspen and Big Sky!  

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.