16 users
4k+ views
Bonzski
2 months ago
Member since 10/21/2015
509 posts

Opening & Closing dates have been anounced (weather permitting of course):

Basin/Western: November 25th - March 28th

Silver Creek: December 18th - March 14th (Last Day for Night Skiing is March 13th)

snow.buck
2 months ago (edited 2 months ago)
Member since 12/12/2009
200 posts

LOL   Aren't those the exact same dates they have "announced" for the past 20 years?!?!? Sadly, I remember, they would close early, NOT because of conditions...but because of NO business! End-of-Season is all PassHolders, no more income there. Seems, people coming from the South, while cutting their grass & playing golf, have lost interest.

swoop
2 months ago
Member since 11/30/2017
19 posts

Come on snowbuck, he is just trying to start some STOKE! Maybe this will be the season we look back at as our best-ever despite covid.  Go with it man!

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter
2 months ago
Member since 01/13/2008
1,430 posts

Here's some stoke.  More progress on Snowshoe Mtn Lodge.  The ugly girl looking better every day.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Bonzski
2 months ago
Member since 10/21/2015
509 posts

She's looking great BD!  I hear this summer's mountain biking numbers are record setting. I can see why judging from the turnout over the holiday weekend.  Fortunately there are lots of back-country options available to avoid lines, etc.  Friends took advantage of hiking and beech/lake activities too.  Old Spruce Brewery put up a disc-golf course!

I noticed areas where new snowmaking lines were installed.

2 months ago (edited 2 months ago)
Member since 01/13/2008
1,430 posts

Snowshoe / Alterra announces lift ticket plans -  Full Report

Snowshoe 20/21 FAQ

Bonzski
2 months ago
Member since 10/21/2015
509 posts

Latest FAQ regarding operating changes due to COVID

Will I be able to walk up and buy a lift ticket?

With firm capacity limits in place, walk-up access is not guaranteed. We strongly encourage guests to purchase their tickets in advance to avoid disappointment.

If I’ve already reserved my lodging and due to reduced capacity I’m unable to ski/ride, will I get a refund for my lodging?

We strongly encourage advance purchases on all products, including lift tickets, to ensure your access to the resort. We will not be offering refunds on lodging due to capacity limitations.

Do I need a reservation to ski/ride at Snowshoe?

At this time, Ikon Pass, Ikon Base Pass, Snowshoe Unlimited Pass, and Early Season Pass holders will not need reservations to ski and ride during the 2020/21 winter season at Snowshoe. Guests who advance purchase a package (including lift tickets/passes and lodging, etc.) are guaranteed mountain access for the dates of their booking.

What are holiday and peak periods?
”¢ Christmas: December 26th ”“ January 2nd
”¢ MLK: January 15th ”“ 17th
”¢ Presidents: February 12th ”“ 14th

”¢ Peak: Friday ”“ Sunday, December 18th ”“ March 13th

Can I buy a ticket on the day I want to ski?

To ensure access to the mountain we strongly suggest purchasing a pass (either Ikon or Snowshoe specific). At this time, we anticipate limited availability of walk-up tickets during the winter season. Some single day lift tickets may be available for day of purchase based on last minute availability.

Can I buy a single day lift ticket in advance?

We will be offering online, advance single and multi-day lift tickets in advance. These will be available in the coming weeks. Guests are encouraged to purchase in advance to guarantee mountain access.

Do I need a reservation for equipment rentals?

We will be offering online, advance rentals and highly encourage guests to purchase in advance. This will reduce your transaction and interaction time as well as save you money and guarantee your rental.

How will lines follow physical distancing requirements?

Physically distancing naturally occurs from tip to tail when wearing ski and snowboards. Guests will also notice additional spacing measures, including extended maze designs and more lateral spacing to create a consistent flow of appropriately spaced traffic. In addition, markings and staff members will help create appropriate social distancing when necessary.

Will I have to ride the lift with people I don’t know?

Guests will self-group and load chairlifts with their traveling party. Lift attendants will work to put traveling parties together on lifts, but unaffiliated skiers/riders may be loaded on the same chair. In these situations, chairlift capacity will be limited to provide additional spacing between seats. Guests who are not comfortable riding with others will not be forced to, but may have to wait additional time for lift access.

Am I required to wear a face mask at the resort?

Yes, face masks are required indoors by the state of West Virginia. You should expect to wear a face covering when in common gathering places like the base area, lift lines, bathrooms, ski school lessons, entering restaurants, etc. You do not need to wear a face mask while dining at your table.

Can I go into any lodge to eat at any time?

Lodges will be monitored by hosts to maintain appropriate indoor capacity. If lodges are at our decided maximum capacity, you may not be able to enter at that time. We are expanding our outdoor dining options to accommodate more skiers and riders. We appreciate your understanding and support as we follow local and state regulations.

How do I order food at the restaurants?

We are working on a contactless system and will follow up with details closer to the season.

Do I need reservations to eat at the restaurants?

10 Prime, our new upscale steakhouse in Soaring Eagle Lodge will require reservations. At this time, we are not requiring reservations at other locations.

Are any restaurants NOT opening this winter?

No, currently we plan to operate all restaurants this winter and will be introducing expanded delivery and pick-up service at Shavers Center. They will be following state and local guidance on capacity and sanitization.

Will ski & snowboard lessons be limited?

Yes, there will be reduced capacity for lessons this season and modifications to operations to ensure distancing. We will discontinue Mommy & Me and Kids Night Out offerings for the season.

Will stores at the mountain be open for shopping? Yes, currently stores at the mountain will be open for shopping. They will be following state and local guidance on capacity and sanitization.

Besides skiing, what activities are available on the mountain this season?

Many activities remain the same, while other may have altered operations or not be available this winter. For a complete list of winter activities please visit https://www.snowshoemtn.com/things-to-do/activities

What precautions are you taking to reduce Health and Safety risks?

In addition to capacity management, we will be continuing to require facial coverings indoors and while loading chairlifts, socially distancing, practicing healthy hand washing/sanitizing, increased cleaning efforts at all high-touch points, etc. These practices will remain a priority for Snowshoe staff and guests to minimize the spread of COVID.

If I am sick and can’t travel, how do I cancel my reservations?

If you are experiencing COVID symptoms or have tested positive for the virus please do not come to the resort. Please call Snowshoe Central Reservations at 877-441-4386 for assistance with changing your plans.

How can I avoid lots of people on the mountain if I’m worried about crowds?

We always recommend mid-week travel/skiing if you’re able. With more people having flexibility in their schedules due to working remotely, this may be a new option for you this year. Mid-week tends to be less crowded than weekend and we do not expect to have as many capacity issues during weekdays.

Where can I get more information and details?

We have created a website specifically to answer questions about mountain operations and changes due to COVID. Please visit snowshoemtn.com/covid for the most up-to-date information. Also, feel free to call Snowshoe Central Reservations at 877-441-4386 any time you have questions.

eggraid
2 months ago
Member since 02/9/2010
466 posts

Bonzski wrote:

She's looking great BD!  I hear this summer's mountain biking numbers are record setting. I can see why judging from the turnout over the holiday weekend.  Fortunately there are lots of back-country options available to avoid lines, etc.  Friends took advantage of hiking and beech/lake activities too.  Old Spruce Brewery put up a disc-golf course!

I noticed areas where new snowmaking lines were installed.

My son and I went mtn biking on July 4th weekend there, and Snowshoe had advertised that there was going to be 'limited capacity' so we bought our lift tix early. When we got there, the lines were about three times as long as we had ever seen them in previous years. We decided 'limited capacity' meant limited to as many tickets as they could sell.

I can't imagine how far up the trail the Ball Hooter lift line will be if they aren't going to fully load each chair and are also spacing out the line some.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
2 months ago
Member since 12/10/2008
2,223 posts

eggraid wrote:

My son and I went mtn biking on July 4th weekend there, and Snowshoe had advertised that there was going to be 'limited capacity' so we bought our lift tix early. When we got there, the lines were about three times as long as we had ever seen them in previous years. We decided 'limited capacity' meant limited to as many tickets as they could sell.

I can't imagine how far up the trail the Ball Hooter lift line will be if they aren't going to fully load each chair and are also spacing out the line some.

Was the wait about the same as previous summers?

I saw pictures of lift lines on weekends for Perisher.  The lines were long.  But apparently the actual wait times were generally under 15 min, which was less than usual for a weekend.  Australian ski resorts are more like large resorts in the northeast or the mid-Atlantic than the Rockies.  Very dependent on manmade snow and lots of people driving in for a ski weekend or ski week.

Bonzski
2 months ago
Member since 10/21/2015
509 posts

marzNC wrote:

eggraid wrote:

I saw pictures of lift lines on weekends for Perisher.  The lines were long.  But apparently the actual wait times were generally under 15 min, which was less than usual for a weekend.  Australian ski resorts are more like large resorts in the northeast or the mid-Atlantic than the Rockies.  Very dependent on manmade snow and lots of people driving in for a ski weekend or ski week.

I think the answer is somewhere in the middle...lines are longer due to spacing & corral setup, wait is a little longer due to increased traffic & loading practices.  Race weekends increase traffic also.  Fortunately there are lots of back-country options to avoid lines completely, and they've opened new trails (Dirt Beaver & P).

eggraid
2 months ago
Member since 02/9/2010
466 posts

marzNC wrote:

eggraid wrote:

They were longer for sure; it wasn't just social distances, there were more people. It was about 45 mins per lap. It takes longer for the same number of bikes to ride the lift because every third chair is designed to take up a bike, with a max of 3 bikes, and every third chair also takes up non-bikers. So in the time 12 skiers go up, only 3 bikers do. On Ballhooter and Western territory lifts anyway.

Bonzski
one month ago
Member since 10/21/2015
509 posts

eggraid wrote:

marzNC wrote:

eggraid wrote:

They were longer for sure; it wasn't just social distances, there were more people. It was about 45 mins per lap. It takes longer for the same number of bikes to ride the lift because every third chair is designed to take up a bike, with a max of 3 bikes, and every third chair also takes up non-bikers. So in the time 12 skiers go up, only 3 bikers do. On Ballhooter and Western territory lifts anyway.

Yeah, loading bikes every 3rd chair has always been the method.  Only chair loading change for COVID is if a single joins another party (party must approve) is they don't share a chair so it goes 1st chair:bikes, 2nd chair:party, 3rd chair:single.  Yes, longer than last summer buy not sure what more can be done.

Hopefully the impact to waits this winter will be offset enough by the cap on tickets sales during peak days.

one month ago
Member since 01/13/2008
1,430 posts

Snowshoe released the Early Season Pass.  129 + tax. It's  good opening day until 12/25/20

Details here

29 days ago
Member since 01/13/2008
1,430 posts

First off - This new format is awesome.  I wanted to see the new photo display.

Here's the slopeside section of Mountain Lodge.  Exterior renovation is about 90% complete.

1603641607_apyydtvgvmdm.jpg

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter
29 days ago
Member since 03/5/2004
3,059 posts
Pictures please!!
28 days ago
Member since 01/13/2008
1,430 posts

The Colonel wrote:

Pictures please!!

Here's a virtual timeline of the renovation of the ugly duckling  -->  https://www.snowshoemtnlodge.com/2020-renovation-photos/

dt3
28 days ago
Member since 11/15/2009
24 posts

Found another video with a lot more pics of the renovations  

https://vimeo.com/464499004

tons of other questions...

- did the renovations include changing out old windows and sliding doors?

- are they still going to install balconies outside all the units that previously had them (all?)?

snow.buck
28 days ago
Member since 12/12/2009
200 posts

dt3 wrote:

tons of other questions...

How much? How's it being paid for?

28 days ago (edited 28 days ago)
Member since 01/13/2008
1,430 posts

Yes - all new windows and sliders 

- are they still going to install balconies outside all the units that previously had them (all?)

Phase 2 in 2021 calls for decks - still have some design work to do

How much?

This is a multi-million $$ project

How's it being paid for?

Homeowners 

The bottom line is that ML is a 39 year old building that was way overdue for some lovin'.  We've been kicking this can down the road for 10 years.

Anyone here that owns a home knows that nothing lasts forever and repairs and replacements are part of the game.  

Mongo
27 days ago
Member since 02/24/2015
32 posts
I assume the interiors of the units are still “up to the owner” - so expect them to remain vintage 1970s shag carpet and fake wood paneling?
27 days ago
Member since 01/13/2008
1,430 posts

Mongo wrote:

I assume the interiors of the units are still “up to the owner” - so expect them to remain vintage 1970s shag carpet and fake wood paneling?

Yep, there are a few stinkers out there, but they are few and far between.  There's been a flurry of owners renovating their units that turned out really nice.  

Bonzski
26 days ago
Member since 10/21/2015
509 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Mongo wrote:

Yep, there are a few stinkers out there, but they are few and far between.  There's been a flurry of owners renovating their units that turned out really nice.  

Yeah, the ones I've been in recently have been updated.  I've heard similar reports from others.  Tough to beat the location & cost, and the interior common spaces are nice for kids (and parents) to hang outside the condo space.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
25 days ago
Member since 12/10/2008
2,223 posts

Noticed that Snowshoe has a Countdown to Opening Day on the home page.  Have to scroll down to see it.  Has the usual weather permitting caveat.  Opening Day is scheduled for Nov. 25, day before Thanksgiving.

1603981182_ljdipztvxprg.jpg

25 days ago
Member since 03/5/2004
3,059 posts
I notice little orange trailers in the SS web cam from the top near the snowguns. Look new, similar to compressors.  What are they & why?!
padjaski68
25 days ago
Member since 01/21/2016
60 posts

The Colonel wrote:

I notice little orange trailers in the SS web cam from the top near the snowguns. Look new, similar to compressors.  What are they & why?!

Those are boom lifts.

21 days ago
Member since 01/13/2008
1,430 posts

Snowshoe getting busy before election day!

123575301_3707279752626072_1099027173473780103_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=2&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=fZp2Jtz7tp8AX9S6PJa&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-2.fna&oh=ae4b61d2d31d1df49dbb7650cce64303&oe=5FC69BD6

Keith_Moon
21 days ago
Member since 02/19/2019
137 posts

We're thinking of going to the Shoe after Thanksgiving.  We did last year and it was great.

Does anyone have any idea of how they will expand their outdoor restaurant capacity to deal with COVID?

snow.buck
21 days ago
Member since 12/12/2009
200 posts
Can anyone explain to me the safety difference between eating in a fully enclosed heated tent vs indoors???
marzNC - DCSki Supporter
21 days ago
Member since 12/10/2008
2,223 posts

snow.buck wrote:

Can anyone explain to me the safety difference between eating in a fully enclosed heated tent vs indoors???

Probably not much.  No way a tent is as tight as a building, so there is still plenty of air exchange.  Assuming it's a relatively large tent with a somewhat high ceiling.

I've eaten indoors a few times in the last few months.  What I look for in terms of the building is ceiling fans, size of the rooms, and general upkeep.  But I'm actually more interested in how the staff are following safety guidelines.  In particular are they wearing face masks properly and keeping them on.  The one place I won't go back any time soon the building was fine, and relatively empty.  But the waitresses were mostly pushing their masks down as soon as they left a table as they walked back to the kitchen area.  At another place I noticed the bartender wasn't keeping the mask up when talking with locals sitting at the bar.  The table my husband and I were at was far away enough that it's wasn't a big deal but it showed lack of training and understanding of why consistent mask usage helps reduce the chance of community spread.

Keith_Moon
21 days ago
Member since 02/19/2019
137 posts

Will construction still be ongoing during the season or will they take a break and resume next spring?

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Yes - all new windows and sliders 

- are they still going to install balconies outside all the units that previously had them (all?)

Phase 2 in 2021 calls for decks - still have some design work to do

How much?

This is a multi-million $$ project

How's it being paid for?

Homeowners 

The bottom line is that ML is a 39 year old building that was way overdue for some lovin'.  We've been kicking this can down the road for 10 years.

Anyone here that owns a home knows that nothing lasts forever and repairs and replacements are part of the game.  

20 days ago
Member since 01/13/2008
1,430 posts

Keith_Moon wrote:

Will construction still be ongoing during the season or will they take a break and resume next spring?

Other than some punch list items, they'll take a break.  

Keith_Moon
20 days ago
Member since 02/19/2019
137 posts

Do I understand correctly that none of the upper units have balconies at this point?

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Keith_Moon wrote:

Other than some punch list items, they'll take a break.  

20 days ago
Member since 01/13/2008
1,430 posts

All units will be without balconies this ski season.   

Keith_Moon wrote:

Do I understand correctly that none of the upper units have balconies at this point?

Keith_Moon
20 days ago
Member since 02/19/2019
137 posts

So - what?  There are doors but they're padlocked shut or something?

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

All units will be without balconies this ski season.   

Keith_Moon wrote:

Bonzski
20 days ago
Member since 10/21/2015
509 posts

Keith_Moon wrote:

We're thinking of going to the Shoe after Thanksgiving.  We did last year and it was great.

Does anyone have any idea of how they will expand their outdoor restaurant capacity to deal with COVID?

Only thing I've heard is some restaurants possibly having grab-and-go options.

AndyGene
19 days ago
Member since 09/9/2013
225 posts

Mongo wrote:

I’m more curious about the HVAC.  The last time we stayed there it was 83 degrees in our room.  We could not sleep.  There was no way to cool the unit.

Keith_Moon
19 days ago
Member since 02/19/2019
137 posts

My understanding is that Ridiculous/Ikon Pass holders don't have to make reservations for lift ticket slots and are guaranteed to be able to ski/ride, assuming the mountain isn't closed for some other reason.

Is that y'alls' understanding as well?

19 days ago
Member since 01/13/2008
1,430 posts

You are correct - Here's their official stance as of now.  

https://www.snowshoemtn.com/discover-snowshoe/safety-and-responsibility/covid-19 

Keith_Moon wrote:

My understanding is that Ridiculous/Ikon Pass holders don't have to make reservations for lift ticket slots and are guaranteed to be able to ski/ride, assuming the mountain isn't closed for some other reason.

Is that y'alls' understanding as well?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
19 days ago
Member since 12/10/2008
2,223 posts

Vermont wrote:

From what happened last season with crowds from so many ikon passes I can’t imagine them starting the season without reservations, they are letting people buy tickets for peak periods, weekends etc just seems they are trying to sell as many tickets as possible not thinking of the consequences 

Have to wait and see how quickly day tickets are sold out when they are made available.

What I know is that day tickets for Jackson Hole were sold out for Dec. 28-31 about two weeks ago, soon after they were released.

19 days ago
Member since 01/13/2008
1,430 posts

I didn’t see anything about them limiting advanced tickets, that’s what I meant about them selling as many as they can without thinking of the pass holders, like a gym membership sell as many as possible without regards to numbers who will actually be able to ski that day, 

WILL I BE ABLE TO WALK UP AND BUY A LIFT TICKET?

With firm capacity limits in place, walk-up access is not guaranteed. We strongly encourage our guests to purchase their tickets in advance to avoid disappointment.

Vermont
19 days ago (edited 19 days ago)
Member since 12/26/2019
128 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

I didn’t see anything about them limiting advanced tickets, that’s what I meant about them selling as many as they can without thinking of the pass holders, like a gym membership sell as many as possible without regards to numbers who will actually be able to ski that day, 

WILL I BE ABLE TO WALK UP AND BUY 
With firm capacity limits in place, walk-up access is not guaranteed. We strongly encourage our guests to purchase their tickets in advance to avoid disappointment.

Yes limiting  walk up day tickets makes them look like they are limiting tix but what about the advanced tickets sold before season starts, those people get to ski that day but what about ikon people when those days come, how will they handle that

eggraid
14 days ago
Member since 02/9/2010
466 posts

Vermont wrote:

Vermont wrote:

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

WILL I BE ABLE TO WALK UP AND BUY 

Yes limiting  walk up day tickets makes them look like they are limiting tix but what about the advanced tickets sold before season starts, those people get to ski that day but what about ikon people when those days come, how will they handle that

Knowing what happened last season with over crowding from so many ikon passes it seems selling advanced tickets only benefits snowshoe and those people buying their guaranteed to ski that day tickets potentially leaving ikon people on the street

Do you mean over-crowding from Ikon passholders at Snowshoe, specifically? I didn't feel like it was any more crowded than any other year.

itdoesntmatter
13 days ago
Member since 01/17/2007
114 posts
Curious, how much was each owner assessed for the Reno?
nickhaas212
7 days ago
Member since 11/13/2019
3 posts

Snowshoe has the fan guns on at the bottom of Ball Hooter this morning. What is the earliest that Snowshoe has opened up the Western Territory?

I thought Snowshoe was panning to add a trail or two to the Western territory as well this season or next.

Vermont
7 days ago
Member since 12/26/2019
128 posts
Snowshoe is opening the 25th , that should be enough time to open a western side trail to spread people out
The19thHole
7 days ago (edited 7 days ago)
Member since 06/29/2015
65 posts

Vermont wrote:

Snowshoe is opening the 25th , that should be enough time to open a western side trail to spread people out

Not likely. Their snowmaking window closes this Thursday around noon, then perhaps reopens briefly next week before the 25th. That will only give them enough time to open a run or two, as per their normal opening. After that, they typically focus on the basin area, getting more of those runs open, before moving to the Western Territory in early to mid-December. If the weather models are correct, there really won't be enough cold air around to be more aggressive than that.

Let's hope the models are wrong!

6 days ago
Member since 03/5/2004
3,059 posts
Snowshoe has delayed opening until Dec 4
marzNC - DCSki Supporter
6 days ago
Member since 12/10/2008
2,223 posts

The Colonel wrote:

Snowshoe has delayed opening until Dec 4

My guess is that they really want to have more terrain open before letting people on lifts.  Pent up demand and not having a reservation system for lift access could have been a problem over Thanksgiving weekend.

Wonder if there was any pressure from WV public health.  Winter sports for high schools were cancelled recently.  Like pretty much every state, WV case counts have been increasing in recent weeks.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.