30 users
24k+ views
Bonzski
September 3, 2020
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

Opening & Closing dates have been anounced (weather permitting of course):

Basin/Western: November 25th - March 28th

Silver Creek: December 18th - March 14th (Last Day for Night Skiing is March 13th)

snow.buck
September 3, 2020 (edited September 3, 2020)
Member since 12/12/2009 🔗
202 posts

LOL   Aren't those the exact same dates they have "announced" for the past 20 years?!?!? Sadly, I remember, they would close early, NOT because of conditions...but because of NO business! End-of-Season is all PassHolders, no more income there. Seems, people coming from the South, while cutting their grass & playing golf, have lost interest.

swoop
September 5, 2020
Member since 11/30/2017 🔗
64 posts

Come on snowbuck, he is just trying to start some STOKE! Maybe this will be the season we look back at as our best-ever despite covid.  Go with it man!

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
September 5, 2020
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Here's some stoke.  More progress on Snowshoe Mtn Lodge.  The ugly girl looking better every day.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
Bonzski
September 8, 2020
652 posts

She's looking great BD!  I hear this summer's mountain biking numbers are record setting. I can see why judging from the turnout over the holiday weekend.  Fortunately there are lots of back-country options available to avoid lines, etc.  Friends took advantage of hiking and beech/lake activities too.  Old Spruce Brewery put up a disc-golf course!

I noticed areas where new snowmaking lines were installed.

September 14, 2020 (edited September 14, 2020)
1,580 posts

Snowshoe / Alterra announces lift ticket plans -  Full Report

Snowshoe 20/21 FAQ

Bonzski
September 16, 2020
652 posts

Latest FAQ regarding operating changes due to COVID

Will I be able to walk up and buy a lift ticket?

With firm capacity limits in place, walk-up access is not guaranteed. We strongly encourage guests to purchase their tickets in advance to avoid disappointment.

If I’ve already reserved my lodging and due to reduced capacity I’m unable to ski/ride, will I get a refund for my lodging?

We strongly encourage advance purchases on all products, including lift tickets, to ensure your access to the resort. We will not be offering refunds on lodging due to capacity limitations.

Do I need a reservation to ski/ride at Snowshoe?

At this time, Ikon Pass, Ikon Base Pass, Snowshoe Unlimited Pass, and Early Season Pass holders will not need reservations to ski and ride during the 2020/21 winter season at Snowshoe. Guests who advance purchase a package (including lift tickets/passes and lodging, etc.) are guaranteed mountain access for the dates of their booking.

What are holiday and peak periods?
”¢ Christmas: December 26th ”“ January 2nd
”¢ MLK: January 15th ”“ 17th
”¢ Presidents: February 12th ”“ 14th

”¢ Peak: Friday ”“ Sunday, December 18th ”“ March 13th

Can I buy a ticket on the day I want to ski?

To ensure access to the mountain we strongly suggest purchasing a pass (either Ikon or Snowshoe specific). At this time, we anticipate limited availability of walk-up tickets during the winter season. Some single day lift tickets may be available for day of purchase based on last minute availability.

Can I buy a single day lift ticket in advance?

We will be offering online, advance single and multi-day lift tickets in advance. These will be available in the coming weeks. Guests are encouraged to purchase in advance to guarantee mountain access.

Do I need a reservation for equipment rentals?

We will be offering online, advance rentals and highly encourage guests to purchase in advance. This will reduce your transaction and interaction time as well as save you money and guarantee your rental.

How will lines follow physical distancing requirements?

Physically distancing naturally occurs from tip to tail when wearing ski and snowboards. Guests will also notice additional spacing measures, including extended maze designs and more lateral spacing to create a consistent flow of appropriately spaced traffic. In addition, markings and staff members will help create appropriate social distancing when necessary.

Will I have to ride the lift with people I don’t know?

Guests will self-group and load chairlifts with their traveling party. Lift attendants will work to put traveling parties together on lifts, but unaffiliated skiers/riders may be loaded on the same chair. In these situations, chairlift capacity will be limited to provide additional spacing between seats. Guests who are not comfortable riding with others will not be forced to, but may have to wait additional time for lift access.

Am I required to wear a face mask at the resort?

Yes, face masks are required indoors by the state of West Virginia. You should expect to wear a face covering when in common gathering places like the base area, lift lines, bathrooms, ski school lessons, entering restaurants, etc. You do not need to wear a face mask while dining at your table.

Can I go into any lodge to eat at any time?

Lodges will be monitored by hosts to maintain appropriate indoor capacity. If lodges are at our decided maximum capacity, you may not be able to enter at that time. We are expanding our outdoor dining options to accommodate more skiers and riders. We appreciate your understanding and support as we follow local and state regulations.

How do I order food at the restaurants?

We are working on a contactless system and will follow up with details closer to the season.

Do I need reservations to eat at the restaurants?

10 Prime, our new upscale steakhouse in Soaring Eagle Lodge will require reservations. At this time, we are not requiring reservations at other locations.

Are any restaurants NOT opening this winter?

No, currently we plan to operate all restaurants this winter and will be introducing expanded delivery and pick-up service at Shavers Center. They will be following state and local guidance on capacity and sanitization.

Will ski & snowboard lessons be limited?

Yes, there will be reduced capacity for lessons this season and modifications to operations to ensure distancing. We will discontinue Mommy & Me and Kids Night Out offerings for the season.

Will stores at the mountain be open for shopping? Yes, currently stores at the mountain will be open for shopping. They will be following state and local guidance on capacity and sanitization.

Besides skiing, what activities are available on the mountain this season?

Many activities remain the same, while other may have altered operations or not be available this winter. For a complete list of winter activities please visit https://www.snowshoemtn.com/things-to-do/activities

What precautions are you taking to reduce Health and Safety risks?

In addition to capacity management, we will be continuing to require facial coverings indoors and while loading chairlifts, socially distancing, practicing healthy hand washing/sanitizing, increased cleaning efforts at all high-touch points, etc. These practices will remain a priority for Snowshoe staff and guests to minimize the spread of COVID.

If I am sick and can’t travel, how do I cancel my reservations?

If you are experiencing COVID symptoms or have tested positive for the virus please do not come to the resort. Please call Snowshoe Central Reservations at 877-441-4386 for assistance with changing your plans.

How can I avoid lots of people on the mountain if I’m worried about crowds?

We always recommend mid-week travel/skiing if you’re able. With more people having flexibility in their schedules due to working remotely, this may be a new option for you this year. Mid-week tends to be less crowded than weekend and we do not expect to have as many capacity issues during weekdays.

Where can I get more information and details?

We have created a website specifically to answer questions about mountain operations and changes due to COVID. Please visit snowshoemtn.com/covid for the most up-to-date information. Also, feel free to call Snowshoe Central Reservations at 877-441-4386 any time you have questions.

eggraid
September 17, 2020
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Bonzski wrote:

She's looking great BD!  I hear this summer's mountain biking numbers are record setting. I can see why judging from the turnout over the holiday weekend.  Fortunately there are lots of back-country options available to avoid lines, etc.  Friends took advantage of hiking and beech/lake activities too.  Old Spruce Brewery put up a disc-golf course!

I noticed areas where new snowmaking lines were installed.

My son and I went mtn biking on July 4th weekend there, and Snowshoe had advertised that there was going to be 'limited capacity' so we bought our lift tix early. When we got there, the lines were about three times as long as we had ever seen them in previous years. We decided 'limited capacity' meant limited to as many tickets as they could sell.

I can't imagine how far up the trail the Ball Hooter lift line will be if they aren't going to fully load each chair and are also spacing out the line some.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 17, 2020
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

eggraid wrote:

My son and I went mtn biking on July 4th weekend there, and Snowshoe had advertised that there was going to be 'limited capacity' so we bought our lift tix early. When we got there, the lines were about three times as long as we had ever seen them in previous years. We decided 'limited capacity' meant limited to as many tickets as they could sell.

I can't imagine how far up the trail the Ball Hooter lift line will be if they aren't going to fully load each chair and are also spacing out the line some.

Was the wait about the same as previous summers?

I saw pictures of lift lines on weekends for Perisher.  The lines were long.  But apparently the actual wait times were generally under 15 min, which was less than usual for a weekend.  Australian ski resorts are more like large resorts in the northeast or the mid-Atlantic than the Rockies.  Very dependent on manmade snow and lots of people driving in for a ski weekend or ski week.

Bonzski
September 18, 2020
652 posts

marzNC wrote:

eggraid wrote:

I saw pictures of lift lines on weekends for Perisher.  The lines were long.  But apparently the actual wait times were generally under 15 min, which was less than usual for a weekend.  Australian ski resorts are more like large resorts in the northeast or the mid-Atlantic than the Rockies.  Very dependent on manmade snow and lots of people driving in for a ski weekend or ski week.

I think the answer is somewhere in the middle...lines are longer due to spacing & corral setup, wait is a little longer due to increased traffic & loading practices.  Race weekends increase traffic also.  Fortunately there are lots of back-country options to avoid lines completely, and they've opened new trails (Dirt Beaver & P).

eggraid
September 24, 2020
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

marzNC wrote:

eggraid wrote:

They were longer for sure; it wasn't just social distances, there were more people. It was about 45 mins per lap. It takes longer for the same number of bikes to ride the lift because every third chair is designed to take up a bike, with a max of 3 bikes, and every third chair also takes up non-bikers. So in the time 12 skiers go up, only 3 bikers do. On Ballhooter and Western territory lifts anyway.

Bonzski
September 25, 2020
652 posts

eggraid wrote:

marzNC wrote:

eggraid wrote:

They were longer for sure; it wasn't just social distances, there were more people. It was about 45 mins per lap. It takes longer for the same number of bikes to ride the lift because every third chair is designed to take up a bike, with a max of 3 bikes, and every third chair also takes up non-bikers. So in the time 12 skiers go up, only 3 bikers do. On Ballhooter and Western territory lifts anyway.

Yeah, loading bikes every 3rd chair has always been the method.  Only chair loading change for COVID is if a single joins another party (party must approve) is they don't share a chair so it goes 1st chair:bikes, 2nd chair:party, 3rd chair:single.  Yes, longer than last summer buy not sure what more can be done.

Hopefully the impact to waits this winter will be offset enough by the cap on tickets sales during peak days.

October 20, 2020
1,580 posts

Snowshoe released the Early Season Pass.  129 + tax. It's  good opening day until 12/25/20

Details here

October 25, 2020
1,580 posts

First off - This new format is awesome.  I wanted to see the new photo display.

Here's the slopeside section of Mountain Lodge.  Exterior renovation is about 90% complete.

1603641607_apyydtvgvmdm.jpg

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
October 25, 2020
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Pictures please!!
October 26, 2020
1,580 posts

The Colonel wrote:

Pictures please!!

Here's a virtual timeline of the renovation of the ugly duckling  -->  https://www.snowshoemtnlodge.com/2020-renovation-photos/

dt3
October 26, 2020
Member since 11/15/2009 🔗
24 posts

Found another video with a lot more pics of the renovations  

https://vimeo.com/464499004

tons of other questions...

- did the renovations include changing out old windows and sliding doors?

- are they still going to install balconies outside all the units that previously had them (all?)?

snow.buck
October 26, 2020
202 posts

dt3 wrote:

tons of other questions...

How much? How's it being paid for?

October 26, 2020 (edited October 26, 2020)
1,580 posts

Yes - all new windows and sliders 

- are they still going to install balconies outside all the units that previously had them (all?)

Phase 2 in 2021 calls for decks - still have some design work to do

How much?

This is a multi-million $$ project

How's it being paid for?

Homeowners 

The bottom line is that ML is a 39 year old building that was way overdue for some lovin'.  We've been kicking this can down the road for 10 years.

Anyone here that owns a home knows that nothing lasts forever and repairs and replacements are part of the game.  

Mongo
October 27, 2020
Member since 02/24/2015 🔗
98 posts
I assume the interiors of the units are still “up to the owner” - so expect them to remain vintage 1970s shag carpet and fake wood paneling?
October 27, 2020
1,580 posts

Mongo wrote:

I assume the interiors of the units are still “up to the owner” - so expect them to remain vintage 1970s shag carpet and fake wood paneling?

Yep, there are a few stinkers out there, but they are few and far between.  There's been a flurry of owners renovating their units that turned out really nice.  

Bonzski
October 28, 2020
652 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Mongo wrote:

Yep, there are a few stinkers out there, but they are few and far between.  There's been a flurry of owners renovating their units that turned out really nice.  

Yeah, the ones I've been in recently have been updated.  I've heard similar reports from others.  Tough to beat the location & cost, and the interior common spaces are nice for kids (and parents) to hang outside the condo space.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
October 29, 2020
3,246 posts

Noticed that Snowshoe has a Countdown to Opening Day on the home page.  Have to scroll down to see it.  Has the usual weather permitting caveat.  Opening Day is scheduled for Nov. 25, day before Thanksgiving.

1603981182_ljdipztvxprg.jpg

October 29, 2020
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I notice little orange trailers in the SS web cam from the top near the snowguns. Look new, similar to compressors.  What are they & why?!
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
padjaski68
October 29, 2020
Member since 01/21/2016 🔗
95 posts

The Colonel wrote:

I notice little orange trailers in the SS web cam from the top near the snowguns. Look new, similar to compressors.  What are they & why?!

Those are boom lifts.

November 2, 2020
1,580 posts

Snowshoe getting busy before election day!

123575301_3707279752626072_1099027173473780103_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=2&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=fZp2Jtz7tp8AX9S6PJa&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-2.fna&oh=ae4b61d2d31d1df49dbb7650cce64303&oe=5FC69BD6

Keith_Moon
November 2, 2020
Member since 02/19/2019 🔗
204 posts

We're thinking of going to the Shoe after Thanksgiving.  We did last year and it was great.

Does anyone have any idea of how they will expand their outdoor restaurant capacity to deal with COVID?

snow.buck
November 2, 2020
202 posts
Can anyone explain to me the safety difference between eating in a fully enclosed heated tent vs indoors???
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 2, 2020
3,246 posts

snow.buck wrote:

Can anyone explain to me the safety difference between eating in a fully enclosed heated tent vs indoors???

Probably not much.  No way a tent is as tight as a building, so there is still plenty of air exchange.  Assuming it's a relatively large tent with a somewhat high ceiling.

I've eaten indoors a few times in the last few months.  What I look for in terms of the building is ceiling fans, size of the rooms, and general upkeep.  But I'm actually more interested in how the staff are following safety guidelines.  In particular are they wearing face masks properly and keeping them on.  The one place I won't go back any time soon the building was fine, and relatively empty.  But the waitresses were mostly pushing their masks down as soon as they left a table as they walked back to the kitchen area.  At another place I noticed the bartender wasn't keeping the mask up when talking with locals sitting at the bar.  The table my husband and I were at was far away enough that it's wasn't a big deal but it showed lack of training and understanding of why consistent mask usage helps reduce the chance of community spread.

Keith_Moon
November 2, 2020
204 posts

Will construction still be ongoing during the season or will they take a break and resume next spring?

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Yes - all new windows and sliders 

- are they still going to install balconies outside all the units that previously had them (all?)

Phase 2 in 2021 calls for decks - still have some design work to do

How much?

This is a multi-million $$ project

How's it being paid for?

Homeowners 

The bottom line is that ML is a 39 year old building that was way overdue for some lovin'.  We've been kicking this can down the road for 10 years.

Anyone here that owns a home knows that nothing lasts forever and repairs and replacements are part of the game.  

November 3, 2020
1,580 posts

Keith_Moon wrote:

Will construction still be ongoing during the season or will they take a break and resume next spring?

Other than some punch list items, they'll take a break.  

Keith_Moon
November 3, 2020
204 posts

Do I understand correctly that none of the upper units have balconies at this point?

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Keith_Moon wrote:

Other than some punch list items, they'll take a break.  

November 3, 2020
1,580 posts

All units will be without balconies this ski season.   

Keith_Moon wrote:

Do I understand correctly that none of the upper units have balconies at this point?

Keith_Moon
November 3, 2020
204 posts

So - what?  There are doors but they're padlocked shut or something?

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

All units will be without balconies this ski season.   

Keith_Moon wrote:

Bonzski
November 3, 2020
652 posts

Keith_Moon wrote:

We're thinking of going to the Shoe after Thanksgiving.  We did last year and it was great.

Does anyone have any idea of how they will expand their outdoor restaurant capacity to deal with COVID?

Only thing I've heard is some restaurants possibly having grab-and-go options.

AndyGene
November 4, 2020
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

Mongo wrote:

I’m more curious about the HVAC.  The last time we stayed there it was 83 degrees in our room.  We could not sleep.  There was no way to cool the unit.

Keith_Moon
November 4, 2020
204 posts

My understanding is that Ridiculous/Ikon Pass holders don't have to make reservations for lift ticket slots and are guaranteed to be able to ski/ride, assuming the mountain isn't closed for some other reason.

Is that y'alls' understanding as well?

November 4, 2020
1,580 posts

You are correct - Here's their official stance as of now.  

https://www.snowshoemtn.com/discover-snowshoe/safety-and-responsibility/covid-19 

Keith_Moon wrote:

My understanding is that Ridiculous/Ikon Pass holders don't have to make reservations for lift ticket slots and are guaranteed to be able to ski/ride, assuming the mountain isn't closed for some other reason.

Is that y'alls' understanding as well?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 4, 2020
3,246 posts

Vermont wrote:

From what happened last season with crowds from so many ikon passes I can’t imagine them starting the season without reservations, they are letting people buy tickets for peak periods, weekends etc just seems they are trying to sell as many tickets as possible not thinking of the consequences 

Have to wait and see how quickly day tickets are sold out when they are made available.

What I know is that day tickets for Jackson Hole were sold out for Dec. 28-31 about two weeks ago, soon after they were released.

November 4, 2020
1,580 posts

I didn’t see anything about them limiting advanced tickets, that’s what I meant about them selling as many as they can without thinking of the pass holders, like a gym membership sell as many as possible without regards to numbers who will actually be able to ski that day, 

WILL I BE ABLE TO WALK UP AND BUY A LIFT TICKET?

With firm capacity limits in place, walk-up access is not guaranteed. We strongly encourage our guests to purchase their tickets in advance to avoid disappointment.

Vermont
November 4, 2020 (edited November 4, 2020)
Member since 12/26/2019 🔗
174 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

I didn’t see anything about them limiting advanced tickets, that’s what I meant about them selling as many as they can without thinking of the pass holders, like a gym membership sell as many as possible without regards to numbers who will actually be able to ski that day, 

WILL I BE ABLE TO WALK UP AND BUY 
With firm capacity limits in place, walk-up access is not guaranteed. We strongly encourage our guests to purchase their tickets in advance to avoid disappointment.

Yes limiting  walk up day tickets makes them look like they are limiting tix but what about the advanced tickets sold before season starts, those people get to ski that day but what about ikon people when those days come, how will they handle that

eggraid
November 9, 2020
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Vermont wrote:

Vermont wrote:

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

WILL I BE ABLE TO WALK UP AND BUY 

Yes limiting  walk up day tickets makes them look like they are limiting tix but what about the advanced tickets sold before season starts, those people get to ski that day but what about ikon people when those days come, how will they handle that

Knowing what happened last season with over crowding from so many ikon passes it seems selling advanced tickets only benefits snowshoe and those people buying their guaranteed to ski that day tickets potentially leaving ikon people on the street

Do you mean over-crowding from Ikon passholders at Snowshoe, specifically? I didn't feel like it was any more crowded than any other year.

itdoesntmatter - DCSki Supporter 
November 10, 2020
Member since 01/17/2007 🔗
158 posts
Curious, how much was each owner assessed for the Reno?
nickhaas212
November 16, 2020
Member since 11/13/2019 🔗
68 posts

Snowshoe has the fan guns on at the bottom of Ball Hooter this morning. What is the earliest that Snowshoe has opened up the Western Territory?

I thought Snowshoe was panning to add a trail or two to the Western territory as well this season or next.

Vermont
November 16, 2020
Member since 12/26/2019 🔗
174 posts
Snowshoe is opening the 25th , that should be enough time to open a western side trail to spread people out
The19thHole
November 16, 2020 (edited November 16, 2020)
Member since 06/29/2015 🔗
85 posts

Vermont wrote:

Snowshoe is opening the 25th , that should be enough time to open a western side trail to spread people out

Not likely. Their snowmaking window closes this Thursday around noon, then perhaps reopens briefly next week before the 25th. That will only give them enough time to open a run or two, as per their normal opening. After that, they typically focus on the basin area, getting more of those runs open, before moving to the Western Territory in early to mid-December. If the weather models are correct, there really won't be enough cold air around to be more aggressive than that.

Let's hope the models are wrong!

November 17, 2020
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Snowshoe has delayed opening until Dec 4
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 17, 2020
3,246 posts

The Colonel wrote:

Snowshoe has delayed opening until Dec 4

My guess is that they really want to have more terrain open before letting people on lifts.  Pent up demand and not having a reservation system for lift access could have been a problem over Thanksgiving weekend.

Wonder if there was any pressure from WV public health.  Winter sports for high schools were cancelled recently.  Like pretty much every state, WV case counts have been increasing in recent weeks.

November 24, 2020
1,580 posts

Too bad things are going to warm up the next few days.  Snowshoe really laid the hammer down the past few nights.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CH-2UF3gPeu/

Bonzski
November 24, 2020 (edited November 24, 2020)
652 posts
The forecast high temps have been trending lower, now staying in the 40s every day.  I expect the whales to hold up nicely and form a good base for next week's weather systems to role through, plus added snow-making.
December 1, 2020
1,580 posts

Cheat Mountain Magic on full display at the Shoe this morning.  Lifts start spinning on Thu Dec, 3 for pass holder appreciation day.  General public on Friday, Dec 4.

Snowshoe Mtn Mobile

The19thHole
December 1, 2020
Member since 06/29/2015 🔗
85 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Cheat Mountain Magic on full display at the Shoe this morning.  Lifts start spinning on Thu Dec, 3 for pass holder appreciation day.  General public on Friday, Dec 4.

Snowshoe Mtn Mobile

Where did you see the info about Dec 3rd?

got2surf
December 2, 2020
Member since 12/17/2019 🔗
5 posts

The19thHole wrote:

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Snowshoe Mtn Mobile

Where did you see the info about Dec 3rd?

From snowshoemtn.com:

1606888795_eqttzrooxqgo.jpg

got2surf
December 2, 2020
Member since 12/17/2019 🔗
5 posts

The “live” trail map (https://skisnowshoe.neocities.org/map.html, I believe Don has a easy to access link on his site as well) will start working as soon as the official Snowshoe site (https://www.snowshoemtn.com/mountain-info/mountain-report#/all-trails) has data. We use the same data source as the Snowshoe website so info should always be up to date. If you find any little issues, please PM or let me know here. 

In an Instagram comment, Snowshoe said the following trails will be open: “ At least Skidder, Heisler Way, Tail Tree, Mid Whistlepunk, Powder Monkey, Whiffletree, and Progression Park. Hopefully more!” (https://www.instagram.com/p/CITc4tyMjdU/?igshid=1f0lhat5e1ttv, 1pm 12/2)

December 3, 2020 (edited December 3, 2020)
1,580 posts

The live map worked today.  7 trails are better than 0.

got2surf wrote:

The “live” trail map (https://skisnowshoe.neocities.org/map.html, I believe Don has a easy to access link on his site as well) will start working as soon as the official Snowshoe site (https://www.snowshoemtn.com/mountain-info/mountain-report#/all-trails) has data. We use the same data source as the Snowshoe website so info should always be up to date. If you find any little issues, please PM or let me know here. 

In an Instagram comment, Snowshoe said the following trails will be open: “ At least Skidder, Heisler Way, Tail Tree, Mid Whistlepunk, Powder Monkey, Whiffletree, and Progression Park. Hopefully more!” (https://www.instagram.com/p/CITc4tyMjdU/?igshid=1f0lhat5e1ttv, 1pm 12/2)

Bonzski
December 7, 2020
652 posts

Was great to get back on the snow and the snow was awesome.  The pent up demand was on full display Saturday with some long lift wait times.  I noticed a lot of people from other mountains getting their early turns so I'm hopeful as other mountains open waits will improve. Of course more terrain will help too. Sunday was better, and so was the weather as it cleared up for blue-bird day.  Snow quality was excellent per usual.  I was surprised, but relieved, they didn't run guns on open trails all weekend.

If you're not comfortable wearing a mask then don't bother.  Lift attendants walk the lines kindly demanding anybody not wearing their mask to do so, and do it properly....including covering your nose.  "Cover Your Nose So We Don't Close" was a popular chant.  Lift lines are separated by six feet and chair loading is by your group only, sometimes 2 singles (different lines) did ride together. We didn't bother with village restaurants but I some friends did lunch in the pizza place without any problems.

Like everything else these days, it's different.  Accept the fact you'll get a little less skiing in but you'll be skiing.

rbrtlav
December 7, 2020
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts
The village restaurants were overwhelmed Saturday night to the point they should have been shutdown. Bars had people shoulder to shoulder, there was no organized carry out, parties mixing with new friends, and little capacity control in the lobbies. Also as people drink they seem to think they have to take masks off to talk. We were just in there to pick up a carry out order and almost left without it because it was horrible.

Skiing seemed fine, but if they don’t get dining under control there will be outbreaks tied back to the resort. They really should consider trying to bring 2-3 food trucks into the village on Saturday evenings.
wgo
December 7, 2020
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Great to hear about how vigilant the lift attendants are being, but very disappointing to hear about the situation in the bars and restaurants on Saturday night. Let's hope Snowshoe can get this under control.
Bonzski
December 11, 2020
652 posts
Widowmaker on delayed opening today.  First black run to open.
Bonzski
December 11, 2020
652 posts
  Snowshoe just announced they reached capacity for 12/20 & 12/21, except for few Silvercreek-only tickets.
wgo
December 11, 2020
1,666 posts

So, Sunday and Monday? Not Saturday the 19th? That's surprising.

Bonzski wrote:

Snowshoe just announced they reached capacity for 12/20 & 12/21, except for few Silvercreek-only tickets.
Reisen
December 12, 2020
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts
We’re at Snowshoe now. A couple of notes. 

- Coming in, the village was considerably warmer than several of the passes / areas we drove through. Ie. it was 31 degrees at multiple points on the drive, but Snowshoe village was 43. Is this normal?

- That was definitely the easiest drive to SS I’ve ever had. I’ve never driven in summer. But dry roads, warm temps, and little traffic made it easy and fast. 

- We waited until the last minute to book due to weather (rain was initially forecast). This was a disaster. There is a ton of availability this weekend, but Snowshoe reservations are a dumpster fire. Specifically:

- Their website won’t let you book arriving the same day. It will let you search, but will show no availability. I only was lucky that I knew they had a ton because I had been tracking it all week. But how many people might think they are full when they aren’t?

- The wait to speak to someone when calling their 800 number on Friday was over 60 minutes. After waiting that long and finally getting through, we got disconnected. 

- Not all of their reservations agents are able to understand pricing differences between the website and what they see in their system. Their system shows all in, including tax and fees. The website does not. 

- Their website isn’t working properly to book kids’ lessons and keeps throwing errors. The errors say to call to book, but the lodging associate couldn’t book activities. Think I wanted to wait another 60 min + on hold to book a lesson for my 6 y/o?

- The 800 number closes early (5pm?) and the recording only says they are closed, but to call back during business hours. No mention of when those hours are. 

- Staying on the third floor in the village, we ran the AC last night, all night. Weird feeling on a ski trip. 
December 12, 2020
1,580 posts

There are so many rental alternatives to Snowshoe's central reservation system.  They hit you with a 20 per day resort fee which is BS.  Now taxes are 14% .  6 state, 6 county and 2 local (RAD).

AIRBNB and VRBO are popular but their fees have gotten out of hand now that they are both publicly traded companies.

My advice - seek out an individual owner and deal directly with them.   There is a Snowshoe group on Facebook that has basically become a rental sharing page.  People post their dates and owners reply with their availability.

Reisen
December 12, 2020
368 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

There are so many rental alternatives to Snowshoe's central reservation system.  They hit you with a 20 per day resort fee which is BS.  Now taxes are 14% .  6 state, 6 county and 2 local (RAD).

AIRBNB and VRBO are popular but their fees have gotten out of hand now that they are both publicly traded companies.

My advice - seek out an individual owner and deal directly with them.   There is a Snowshoe group on Facebook that has basically become a rental sharing page.  People post their dates and owners reply with their availability.

In recent years, we have stayed at Blackbear Crossing at one of Ssschneid’s houses (DCSkiPoster and friend). Last year, we went out west a bunch and then COVID hit. 

That said, you are completely right, and the only reason we went through SS directly was the last minute nature of the trip. That seemed like it would be easier to do centrally, and the price was still good because it is early season ($500 for 3 nights). We didn’t need much space this time because it is just me and the kids (my wife is pregnant and stayed home).

Today was interesting.  Very warm, but the snow didn’t feel too sloppy. Maybe it was the basin’s exposure plus shade from trees...  The snow was quite good.  

Crowds are medium, but Covid is taking an existing problem in lift capacity in the basin, and exaggerating it.  I was trying to think of the last time SS upgraded a lift.  I’ve been coming here going on 20 years, and I can’t remember them ever upgrading a lift.  I was writing posts on DCSki about the need to make Ballhooter a 6-pack probably a good decade ago.  It just gets worse every year.

Widowmaker feels pretty WROD-ish right now, but with cold weather plus natural snow this week, things should be pretty good for Christmas.

Lifties are really working on the crowd to wear their masks, but lots of people are still not following the rules.

One other issue is the lack of staff.  Everyone is complaining about not having enough workers, from retail to the lifts.  I’m not sure how they will deal with crowds.  I will avoid weekends this season.

rbrtlav
December 13, 2020
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Regarding lift updates: soaring eagle is 5-6 years old. I think powder monkey was supposed to be replaced... but COVID.

The lift lines last weekend were way worse, having soaring eagle and powder ridge open made a huge difference. Opening day they were allowing 2 unrelated singles to ride up ballhooter together, but from what I understand that had to end because they couldn’t monitor mask usage. I can tell you I had some singles opening day rip off their masks as soon as they left the terminal... so you can thank people not following the rules for the longer lift lines. I will say Ballhooter was better organized this weekend. From what I saw and heard today if 2 unrelated singles are paired up together and the lift operators catch it they are supposed to separate them, so the long lines aren’t going anywhere. 

Reisen
December 13, 2020
368 posts
Ahh, interesting. Was Soaring Eagle a fixed grip before that?  I had forgotten. 

I know Powderridge serves the parks, but I think they would be better off upgrading Powder Monkey. I believe we’ve had this exact conversation years ago, and the point was made that upgrading to a HSQ does nothing for uphill capacity, and there’s not room for a 6 pack. 

One easy change I think could be made is to make it possible to go left at the top of Grabhammer (without hiking). That would open up Knot Bumper, Ballhooter, and Grabhammer, but more importantly Hootenanny to get to Soaring Eagle, and all the lodging and parking that accesses. 

In terms of lift lines, Grab Hammer and Soaring Eagle were mostly fine yesterday. I will say if there was ever a season to have Primo, this is it. We had Primo 2 years in a row, and loved it, but skipped this year due to the new baby arriving in February. 

From a Covid perspective, we’re pretty chill, but I do think SS probably needs to threaten to pull tickets from people repeatedly not following the rules. I feel for the lifties trying to enforce it, and I must say they handled it really well. They’ve obviously been trained / coached extensively. 

The only time I’ve been uncomfortable was last night at the hot tubs at our complex. I counted over 45 people spread across two hot tubs, sitting shoulder to shoulder, no masks. Yes, it’s outside, but feels like the highest risk I’ve seen in a while. Plus, they had glass bottles in the hot tubs. SS needs to police this more. Crazy to spend so much effort during the day and then ignore things at night. Needless to say, we stayed out of the hot tub. 

December 13, 2020
1,580 posts

I was going to ask about Primo.  I know many thumb their noses at the Primo add on.  This is my 3rd season with Ikon Base and the Primo add on.  It's a lifesaver on weekends - plain and simple.  

I most likely would not visit Snowshoe on weekends without it.  

As rb noted above, the lines aren't going anywhere.  The lines were there before Covid and will be there post Covid.

Goback todc
December 13, 2020
Member since 12/8/2020 🔗
30 posts

SS only asks that people wear masks in lines and in buildings, not on the lift chair by yourself. WV does not ask for people to wear masks outside. So SS is going above and beyond the states requirements.

rbrtlav wrote:

Regarding lift updates: soaring eagle is 5-6 years old. I think powder monkey was supposed to be replaced... but COVID.

The lift lines last weekend were way worse, having soaring eagle and powder ridge open made a huge difference. Opening day they were allowing 2 unrelated singles to ride up ballhooter together, but from what I understand that had to end because they couldn’t monitor mask usage. I can tell you I had some singles opening day rip off their masks as soon as they left the terminal... so you can thank people not following the rules for the longer lift lines. I will say Ballhooter was better organized this weekend. From what I saw and heard today if 2 unrelated singles are paired up together and the lift operators catch it they are supposed to separate them, so the long lines aren’t going anywhere. 

Bonzski
December 13, 2020
652 posts

Reisen - Powder Monkey was scheduled for replacement with a quad fix-grip this year. Also a new blue trail was planned for western territory. Covid killed both, lets hope for next summer. 

BD - Primo is a huge benefit from what I've seen. I know 2 folks that upgraded last weekend.

Keith_Moon
December 13, 2020
204 posts
How much is the Primo add-on?
December 13, 2020
1,580 posts

Keith - $200 extra but you have to buy the Ikon Base or Ikon Unlimited.   That becomes pricey but we do a west trip each year which makes it reasonable.  We just have to stick to an Ikon Resort and there are plenty of them.  We did Big Sky in 2019 and Deer Valley / Snowbird / Brighton in 2020.    2021 ..... hoping for Big Sky again ..... if covid allows.

You can't do the Primo add on to a regular Snowshoe only season pass.

Keith_Moon wrote:

How much is the Primo add-on?
AndyGene
December 13, 2020
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts
Anyone know anything about the new restaurant 10 Prime?  I’m a sucker for high end steak houses. I can’t find a menu or any other info, leading me to believe it has not opened yet. 
Bonzski
December 13, 2020
652 posts

Last I heard it opens later this week.

AndyGene wrote:

Anyone know anything about the new restaurant 10 Prime?  I’m a sucker for high end steak houses. I can’t find a menu or any other info, leading me to believe it has not opened yet.
December 13, 2020
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Where is it?
nickhaas212
December 14, 2020
68 posts
Is there any further combination about having a gondola/chondola connection between Snowshoe and Silvercreek?
Keith_Moon
December 14, 2020
204 posts
Oh man Snowshoe is getting dumped on right now!
Reisen
December 14, 2020
368 posts

Yesterday was good only if you like bluebird days, soft snow, and minimal lift lines...  Widowmaker was especially good with soft bumps, although there were lots of skid marks poking through.

SS measured 3” overnight, and it is nuking in the village right now. They are saying another 3” by noon.  They really needed the snow, but anything not currently open is effectively starting from scratch. At least this should make the sides of trails already open skiable. 

December 14, 2020 (edited December 14, 2020)
1,580 posts

I think that was a wishful thinking rumor.  We'll be stuck with those shuttles for a long time.

nickhaas212 wrote:

Is there any further combination about having a gondola/chondola connection between Snowshoe and Silvercreek?
Bonzski
December 14, 2020
652 posts

The Colonel wrote:

Where is it?

Ground floor of Soaring Eagle condo.  It's been several different restaurants (South Mtn Grille, etc) in recent years. It's a good spot to get away from or avoid the village.

nickhaas212
December 14, 2020
68 posts
For sure. They had some sort of article I found on liftblog from several years back about it.
Bonzski
December 14, 2020
652 posts

Update on days at capacity: Dec 19th, 20th, 21st and 29th.

December 14, 2020
1,580 posts

Saturday should be interesting ....... 

I read that SS repositioned the Boathouse webcam b/c people were calling Big Jim's office and the health dept about social distancing issues at the Ballhooter line.

Not sure how reliable that person is but the current camera angle is useless pointing at the "top" of Lower Ballhooter slope.

Bonzski wrote:

Update on days at capacity: Dec 19th, 20th, 21st and 29th.

RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
December 14, 2020
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts

Lots of Alterra resorts have snow stake cams - why not Snowshoe?

steamboat.com

sugarbush.com

https://www.deervalley.com/explore-the-mountain/webcams

Bonzski
December 14, 2020
652 posts

RodneyBD wrote:

steamboat.com

sugarbush.com

https://www.deervalley.com/explore-the-mountain/webcams

Too depressing being in the mid-Atlantic. A rain gauge would be more interesting.  I wonder, do any mid-A hills have snow-stakes? Or, where is the southern most snow-stake?

wgo
December 14, 2020
1,666 posts
Whitegrass?
snapdragon
December 14, 2020
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts
Whitegrass for sure...the cam at 4000' is pointed at the snow stick...looks like it was closing in on a foot at around 1 o'clock.
December 14, 2020 (edited December 14, 2020)
1,580 posts

This guy has one.  Set the resolution to low

https://bearcubsden.com/weather

RodneyBD wrote:

Reisen
December 18, 2020
368 posts
Interesting that as of today (Friday), it doesn’t look like SS has opened up anything new. I know they have advertised that they are blowing on Western, which will be great, but I would have thought after 96 hours of freezing weather and 15+” of natural snow they could have gotten more of the basin open. Hopefully a bunch of stuff is imminent. 

When I was there a few days ago, I did see way more snowmaking stick poles than I remembered, fewer fan guns, and way more empty snowmaking connections than I expected. A lot more of the fan guns were portable. I kind of had this memory that SS had most of their slopes with permanent fan guns along the side, and that turned out not to be the case. 

One last observation is that I read on FB that the detachable lifts were closed extensively this week due to icing, as Soaring Eagle was all day Monday when I was there, which closed the only black slope they had open on a powder day with 9” of fresh. This feels like a SS-specific issue: I ride HSQs all the time all over the Rockies and PNW, with similar conditions and freezing weather, and they don’t seem to have nearly the same issues. What is wrong with SS or their detachable quads that they close multiple times per week?  What are other areas doing differently?
Keith_Moon
December 18, 2020
204 posts

Reisen wrote:

Interesting that as of today (Friday), it doesn’t look like SS has opened up anything new. 

Silvercreek seems to be open.

Bonzski
December 18, 2020 (edited December 18, 2020)
652 posts

1608324915_udzssmksmeec.jpg

1608324988_idzcboplqoyq.jpg

Lower Ballhooter & under Grabhammer

Cupp & Upper Shays open tomorrow 

rbrtlav
December 18, 2020
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Reisen 

One last observation is that I read on FB that the detachable lifts were closed extensively this week due to icing, as Soaring Eagle was all day Monday when I was there, which closed the only black slope they had open on a powder day with 9” of fresh. This feels like a SS-specific issue: I ride HSQs all the time all over the Rockies and PNW, with similar conditions and freezing weather, and they don’t seem to have nearly the same issues. What is wrong with SS or their detachable quads that they close multiple times per week?  What are other areas doing differently?

Soaring Eagle had a bunch of work done over the summer... hopefully it will actually fix some reliability issues they had in previous years and Monday was a one off.

Regarding ice and high speed it seems to vary by resort. I’ve seen whitetail shut down their quad during HEAVY ice, but they will let it run more than snowshoe. I’ve also been at winter park where they delayed all the high speed lifts, due to heavy snow ending in ice right before opening. (That was a mess) Also winter park is notorious for pano being on hold. Some of it may just be the exposure of the upper terminals of Ballhooter and soaring eagle. I can’t imagine ice on the cable and the wind up their will run very long without grip faults. If you google detachable lifts and ice it appears to be a known limitation under certain conditions. 

December 19, 2020
1,580 posts

12/19 at Snowshoe.

The morning was very nice on the basin side.  About 1/2 of the trails are open.   Great snow conditions.

We tested Western after the delayed opening and yuck.  VERY firm.  Tons of mini rollers at the bottom of the steep part that I could not see.  We were one and done over there.  Maybe it loosened up later but we quit early.  We'll check it out on Sun.

My buddy and my son waited 35 minutes for Ballhooter just before 11 AM.  We literally called it a day after lunch.  I feel for people who actually paid XX for a lift ticket.  All they do is stand in line.

They are doing a great job of keeping people distanced and reminding them of masks in the line.

It's going to be an interesting year ........... but it was great to be on the slopes again.

Bonzski
December 21, 2020
652 posts
Checked the cams, snowing hard & windy.
Bonzski
December 22, 2020
652 posts

AndyGene wrote:

It opened last Thurs.  I spoke to a couple people who tried it and were very happy with food & service.  I believe reservations are required.

Menu

December 22, 2020
1,580 posts
Andy - here's a review from someone on the We Love Snowshoe Mountain FB group

My Quick  take of 10 Prime. 
Although far from a food critic, I do appreciate good food and service. We made it up to the Mountain yesterday, late afternoon and were pleased to discover that 10 Prime did take reservations. We grabbed an available late time and checked it out. The person taking the reservation was super friendly and efficient. 
We arrived and being familiar with past establishments here was not overwhelmed by any big changes to the atmosphere which was fine with me. It looks nice but really no different than before. 
Our waitress was excellent and we spoke with the manager who made us feel welcome. 
Now about the food. The lobster bisque as an appetizer was very good with several  chucks of lobster in an nice bisque. 
The star of the evening however was the 16 oz ribeye. It was prepared as requested and the flavor was excellent. 
My wife had the filet and loved it too, and we both loved the garlic mashed potatoes. 
As I stated previously our waitress was excellent and attentive which made for an enjoyable evening and dining experience. 
Bottom Line:  Steaks were GREAT!
VaTech2k
December 22, 2020
Member since 02/13/2018 🔗
15 posts

I just got back last night from a few days of skiing at Snowshoe.  Sadly, I left right as last night's storm was starting, but overall, I thought that the snow was great for this time of the year.  A few observations:

-As mentioned in earlier posts, they are not messing around with their mask policy.  Even people that were wearing their masks improperly (ie below their nose) were being called out.  I witnessed two people get kicked out of the lift line for not wearing their masks properly at Silver Creek.  We brought all of our own provisions and did not step foot in the village so I am not sure how things looked there.

-Crowds seemed normal for a busy weekend. I was told by a staffer that they were running at 55% capacity this winter.  With the line spacing and chair lift restrictions (only members of the same party on a chair, including just one single rider per chair) the lines were about the same as the before times.  We only rode the Ballhooter lift a few times and it was a 20-30 minute wait each time.  It helped that they were running the Grab Hammer lift every day.  We just rode that and hiked the last 50 feet when we needed to get to the south side of the mountain.  As usual, lines were minimal for Soaring Eagle and non-existent in Western Territory.

-They had bit over halfway of their terrain open by Saturday.  From the looks of it, they should be close to 100% by this weekend.  It did not look like they were putting in any effort on Lower Shays, which was kind of surprising given all of the new guns over there (I did not make it out that way last year so this was my first time seeing their snow making investment).

Overall we had a great time.  We felt safe given that we were outdoors and their mask policy was being thoroughly enforced.  The snow was excellent and it felt great to be back on skis!

AndyGene
December 23, 2020
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts
Thanks guys. 10 Prime sounds awesome so far. I really enjoyed the South Mountain Grill.  Hopefully this is a worthy replacement. 
wgo
December 23, 2020
1,666 posts
What's the current restaurant situation in the building at the top of powder monkey? Is it still the pizza place?
Goback todc
December 23, 2020 (edited December 29, 2020)
Member since 12/8/2020 🔗
30 posts
Pizza place and Tuque's 
eggraid
December 29, 2020
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Tuque's, the Pizza slice (which has delicious 12" pizzas for about $16-18) and I believe The Appalachia kitchen over there, too.

Goback todc wrote:

Pizza place and Teques 
wgo
December 29, 2020
1,666 posts
Thanks. I like that pizza place, glad to hear it is still there. I also liked the place that was there before (grilled cheese and soup). It would be good if the pizza place could stick around for a bit, there does seem to be a fair amount of restaurant turnover at SS.
Reisen
December 29, 2020
368 posts
They are all the same owners (Tuques, pizza, and AK) that own Corduroy Inn. I think AK may just be part of Tuque’s this season. 
eggraid
December 30, 2020
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

I've been meaning to post some pictures from our Christmas trip to Snowshoe.

Early one morning, taking Heisler Way down, beating the crowds.

1609349065_ioxeeyzbtisl.jpg

I had a selfie stick to take this pic of us on the Ballhooter lift, a pretty cool perspective.

1609349415_hjimerbmzvuy.jpg

Early mornings are key at Snowshoe to beat the crowds, this may have been our first run of the day, the lifties at Ballhooter are still getting the ropes set up. 

1609349493_vzwmqxzbmwqg.jpg

This was our only day with fresh snow, on Christmas of all days! It rained all day Christmas Eve, we didn't ski at all that day, but the rain turned to snow overnight and turned into about 5" of powder. This is the top of Gandy Dancer, waiting for the ropes to be dropped. About 10 seconds after starting down the mountain, my son tried to spray his sister with snow, caught an edge, and faceplanted. I got it recorded, and I'll try to post the priceless footage. 

1609349590_wyvahnphlfds.jpg

My wife and I got out and did a little hiking with our pups on a couple of the afternoons when the lines just got too long. That is one nice thing about having a season pass, I don't feel like I have to be out on the slopes from 9-4:30 every day. 

1609348896_fshsamhfpnaw.jpg

It was a great trip, a little crowded some days, but we made good use of the Western Territory, which was pretty sparse most of the trip, being able to almost ski onto the lift. Let's hope winter has more snow in store for us!

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
December 31, 2020
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

Delightful photos of Christmas 🎄 at Snowshoe, eggraid!  Glad to hear that you and the family had such a great time ⛷ 

Hoping for good days on the snow in the coming weeks ⛄️ 

Happy New Year, and thanks for your pics and report.

Woody

Goback todc
January 5, 2021 (edited January 5, 2021)
Member since 12/8/2020 🔗
30 posts

1609855247_asywlshhjpqk.jpg

Got the little grom out on the slopes for the new yr. I asked what her favorite part of the day was and she responded "riding the lift"...... I'll take it.1609856333_xvogiivhkffz.jpg

wgo
January 5, 2021
1,666 posts
Eggraid, Goback todc, thanks for the pics.
January 7, 2021
1,580 posts

Here are a few really cool pics from a Snowshoe FB Group this morning.

136179490_10218786711920511_8233869056617663617_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=2&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=Fqc4lJzrNo0AX9fK5Vd&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-2.fna&oh=46dd9de159da7ae921f17be8c9f5919f&oe=601B7AEF

136436688_10218786712160517_401053447809669620_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=2&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=_dnena67_ucAX9IPhJw&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-2.fna&oh=78a4091ce853cf4524e6136ed3e18dd0&oe=601D06BB

137217332_10223012338951322_2626521290991697369_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=2&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=ZfVqlf-P7m8AX8vdatE&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-2.fna&oh=c2328835e8ec030c8b84b4011c841003&oe=601E33ED

snapdragon
January 7, 2021
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts
Sweet sundog
January 7, 2021
1,580 posts

HAHA - hopefully, I'm not the only loser that had to google "sun dog".  I honestly never heard it before.  It is pretty sweet.

The sun dog is a member of the family of halos caused by the refraction of sunlight by ice crystals in the atmosphere. Sun dogs typically appear as a pair of subtly colored patches of light, around 22° to the left and right of the Sun, and at the same altitude above the horizon as the Sun. They can be seen anywhere in the world during any season, but are not always obvious or bright. Sun dogs are best seen and most conspicuous when the Sun is near the horizon.

snapdragon wrote:

Sweet sundog
Goback todc
January 7, 2021
Member since 12/8/2020 🔗
30 posts

Here is another1610063121_xbxrepunaazt.jpg

Bonzski
January 11, 2021
652 posts
Slowly getting trail count up with basin favorites Grabhammer, Ballhooter & Knot Bumper getting open over the weekend. They started blowing snow on Lower Shay's on last Friday night or early Sat morning and ran them nearly around the clock since. I look for it to open later this week.
January 11, 2021
1,580 posts
I'll be debbie downer

Bonz - no big pretzels for you and I this week.  Brewery temp closed.   Hopefully tests are neg and they can back to biz

All Old Spruce locations will be closed until further notice while staff awaits Covid-19 test results. We have no known positive cases among our employees and are simply being cautious. Our goal is to be completely transparent with our guests and will notify the public if we have any positive test results. Stay safe, wear your mask and be considerate of those around you.
January 12, 2021
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Snowshoe friends, Is Patti Duncan still the COO at Snowshoe?  I have tried to communicate with her several times without success.

The Colonel

January 12, 2021
1,580 posts

Yes

The Colonel wrote:

Snowshoe friends, Is Patti Duncan still the COO at Snowshoe?  I have tried to communicate with her several times without success.

The Colonel

January 12, 2021
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Thanks Blue Don!
January 13, 2021
1,580 posts

SS started pushing out Lower Shays today.  It won't we long 

VIDEO

eggraid
January 13, 2021
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Bonzski wrote:

Slowly getting trail count up with basin favorites Grabhammer, Ballhooter & Knot Bumper getting open over the weekend. They started blowing snow on Lower Shay's on last Friday night or early Sat morning and ran them nearly around the clock since. I look for it to open later this week.

I love me some Grabhammer and Upper Ballhooter is always entertaining with multiple yard-sales happening any given ride up the lift.

wgo
January 13, 2021
1,666 posts
Yeah, Upper Ballhooter is pretty steep by the standards of a mid-atlantic blue and it always seems like there are people on it who are over their heads.
nmahler789
January 14, 2021
Member since 01/13/2021 🔗
1 posts
I’m looking to go to snowshoe this Saturday with 3 friends, they haven’t been skiing on the east coast ever and I’m trying to give them a taste of the best West Virginia has to offer.  Looks like day passes are sold out, and other ski shops aren’t selling them either.  Anybody have 4 lift passes for Saturday 1/16/2021 they would sell?  I’m willing to drive anywhere to meet you for them, or would pay for overnight shipping of the tickets. 
rbrtlav
January 14, 2021
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

I would make backup plans. Usually the tickets are non transferable and picked up at the resort. If you have an Ikon pass you may be able to get buddy passes, but you should call the resort directly 

Don’t get to the point where you get scammed on tickets... 

nmahler789 wrote:

I’m looking to go to snowshoe this Saturday with 3 friends, they haven’t been skiing on the east coast ever and I’m trying to give them a taste of the best West Virginia has to offer.  Looks like day passes are sold out, and other ski shops aren’t selling them either.  Anybody have 4 lift passes for Saturday 1/16/2021 they would sell?  I’m willing to drive anywhere to meet you for them, or would pay for overnight shipping of the tickets. 

January 20, 2021 (edited January 20, 2021)
1,580 posts
Snowshoe reporting 100% open on their non gladed trails are open - all 61 of them.   The weather has really cooperated this year.  Let's hope it continues.
Mongo
January 21, 2021
98 posts
How are they doing the singles lines? Is it one space between each person? Just two people on the quad lifts?
Goback todc
January 21, 2021
Member since 12/8/2020 🔗
30 posts
Every line is a singles line if you request not to ride with anyone.
Mongo
January 22, 2021
98 posts
I want to know because often my son goes off to ski by himself. So what do they do?
SereneOrchid
January 22, 2021
Member since 01/5/2021 🔗
6 posts
There is no singles line this year.  Singles line up with everyone else ad they will put you on a lift by yourself.
Mongo
January 22, 2021
98 posts

Thanks! I guess that slows things down but oh well.

SereneOrchid wrote:

There is no singles line this year.  Singles line up with everyone else ad they will put you on a lift by yourself.
January 22, 2021
1,580 posts

Our group skied SS today.  Cloudy and windy in the AM.  We started on Gandy at rope drop and worked all the Ballhooter lift trails in order from Gandy to Knot Bumper.  Then we went to Soaring Eagle and worked all of those trails from J Hook to Sawmill.  After that, we cruised all the way down to Powderidge and hit that far trail that is used for a M-L park but was a wide open green trail.  One more ride up Powderidge and we took the connectors back down to Ballhooter.  It was 11:15 and time for lunch at The Junction.

After lunch, we drove to Silver Creek to meet a friend in safety patrol who was working that side today.  Clouds broke, the wind died off and the sun peeked out on and off.  We did laps off the Flying Eagle lift from 1 - 3 PM.  I'll bet there were not 50 people near that lift.  We skied up to the lift almost every time.

We never made time for Cupp / Shays but we have all day Sat and 1/2 day Sun.  In all, we logged 29 runs, a little over 20 miles and 18.8K of vertical.

I can't believe people stand in the Ballhooter lift line and wait.  Silver Creek was empty and parking is free if you are willing to walk 5 mins.

February 8, 2021
1,580 posts

We skied SS again this weekend.  We commented that it looks like a "real ski resort" just like out west.  There is snow everywhere.   Actually, to a point where it is a bit of a problem.  Parking lots are having clearing spaces as there's no place t put the snow as all the snowbanks are full.

Definitely a good problem to have. 

They were also making snow on a few select runs during the day on Sunday.  We saw several portable guns positioned around the Ballhooter lift.  Perhaps creating an "insurance policy" for a future warm spell? 

snowyslope92
February 8, 2021
Member since 09/24/2018 🔗
24 posts

I had a great time at snowshoe this weekend.  On Saturday I skied at the western territories until 11am when the lift lines started getting long.  I then took the shuttle back over to Silver Creek and spent the rest of the day on the Flying Eagle lift.  I didn't have to wait for a chair all day.  Then it snowed 3 inches overnight and had some fresh snow on Sunday.  Luckily on Sunday the lift lines on the western territories never got backed up and I didn't have to shift over to Silver Creek.  Of course Cupp run was a bit of an obstacle course as it usually is on a weekend.   The right side Lower Shay's had bumps with soft snow and were very skiable.

Bonzski
February 9, 2021
652 posts

I skied all the glades on Saturday, mark and unmarked.  They're pristine, best I've seen in years!  Here is Knot Bumper glades

1612878267_etczwjglztyi.jpg

Bonzski
February 17, 2021
652 posts

Refills coming

1613597870_ydgtbrzehprf.jpg

Mongo
February 24, 2021
98 posts
Given the great snow we’ve had this year, I’m really thinking about going to Snowshoe the weekend of March 20. (Got other stuff happening in the intervening weekends, unfortunately.) Think it will still be good, if the weather gods keep smiling?
wvgumdoc
March 4, 2021
Member since 02/6/2021 🔗
2 posts
Does anyone have info on the Camp 4 condos?  There are 3 that have been for sale for an extended period of time.  The HOAs probably meet or match the highest on the mountain, and I understand there is a lawsuit still pending against the HOA by a homeowner.  If anyone has any insight to that complex, I would appreciate it.  My wife and I are currently looking for property on the mountain.  Thanks in advance.
Mongo
March 6, 2021 (edited March 6, 2021)
98 posts
Last year we stayed at Camp 4. The unit was nice. But the trail from the condo down to Evolution Park had no snow on it in February. Not sure how common that is. So it was either walk to where there was snow, under the lift, or take the bus, and we had to take the bus back. Kids hated it. Would never rent there again if I could avoid it. Would not buy there, obviously.
Bonzski
March 7, 2021
652 posts

I noticed a 2 bedroom Mountain Lodge condo came on market the other day. Great location for price

Zillow link here

Bonzski
March 8, 2021
652 posts
Snowshoe just announced they're extending the season at Silvercreek by adding a bonus weekend March 19th-21st.
Reisen
March 9, 2021
368 posts
Just got back from Snowshoe after skiing 4 days, 3/5-3/8. It was pretty amazing. There were a few clouds on Sunday, but other than that, it was full sun every day, which is a first for me in nearly 20 years of skiing SS. 

They blew snow every night, and did a particularly great job on Shay’s on Saturday night. As a result, Shays was excellent on Sunday. 

So the highs were the weather (cold and sunny, except for Monday when it warmed way up) and the snow on the trails, both of which were pretty important. Lows would be snow off the trails (either full ice, or big holes in areas making it unsafe), and the lift lines. 

Speaking of lift lines, the dynamic was really weird. Each day, including Monday, the lines would start off short for the first hour (no surprise), then get insanely bad from 10am to noon). Other than one offs when a bunch of lifts would go down in the past, the lines were easily the worst I have ever seen at SS, including on Western Territory. The WT line would be backed up above Arbuckles. 

Then, miraculously, lunch time would hit, and the lines would drop dramatically for the rest of the day. So noon - 4:30 was perfectly fine, with the exception of Ballhooter. I think a couple of factors might have been causing this, including people on their last day skiing the morning before heading out, locals / owners getting fed up with the lines and packing it in, and people heading to Silver Creek. On Monday, they had Grabhammer closed for the first 2.5 hours. As soon as they opened it, that eased the lines on the rest of the mountain. 

Speaking of Silver Creek, after nearly 20 years of skiing SS, I finally made it over with my 6 y/o for night skiing. It was almost exactly as I expected: old lifts, relatively flat, uninteresting runs, a bunch of out of control teenage snowboarders, lifties that were perfectly friendly but were part of the party, and not a patroller in sight. Combine that with the cold, icy conditions of night skiing. 

We actually had a fine time, but I saw numerous horrific crashes and close calls, including one clearly broken shoulder/collarbone on a teenage snowboarder where he stayed down moaning for like 10 minutes before slowly boarding down. It felt a little like Mad Max. I think it is the lethal combination of relatively flat terrain and few forced turns where people can hit high speeds with little to no skill. I probably won’t spend much time there in the future. 

All in all, a great trip, and SS’s snowmaking and grooming delivered in a big way. Now, they just need to upgrade their lift capacity (which we’ve been saying for 20 years). 
RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
March 11, 2021
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts
When does Silver Creek typically open/close?  The $200 silver creek pass is tempting if you just aim to use it resort wide for two days early December and two days late March...
Bonzski
March 11, 2021
652 posts

RodneyBD wrote:

When does Silver Creek typically open/close?  The $200 silver creek pass is tempting if you just aim to use it resort wide for two days early December and two days late March...

SC season is typically mid-Dec to mid-March

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 11, 2021
3,246 posts

Wonder if the idea of a bonus weekend March 19-21 for Silver Creek is related to the new Silver Creek pass.

1615488147_rdubjczgkknt.jpg

March 11, 2021
1,580 posts

They want to market that SC pass to get people out of the Basin Area.   RodneyBD has an interesting idea but IMO, they'll push a little harder to get SC open and maybe extend in the future on weekends for crowd control.

I skied SC last Saturday afternoon.   It was crowded at the 2 lifts near the Sugar Shack b/c only one of the two was running.

PROS
We skied right up to Flying Eagle every time.  There were 3 of us and sometimes we were the only ones on the trails that feed to it.

CONS
The lifts are painfully slow.  They stopped at least once EVERY time we rode.  On one occasion, Flying Eagle stopped 4 times.  

marzNC wrote:

Wonder if the idea of a bonus weekend March 19-21 for Silver Creek is related to the new Silver Creek pass.

1615488147_rdubjczgkknt.jpg

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 11, 2021
3,246 posts

From what I can tell from Liftblog, all three Silver Creek lifts were built in 1983.  Seems as if it might be time for an upgrade or two.

Bonzski
March 11, 2021
652 posts

There are 4 lifts at SC.  Cascade is the busiest because it's central to most trails and would likely be the one candidate for upgrade.  Mountaineer is next to Cascade and is typically used for late afternoon and night crowds, plus holidays.

Skiing SC mornings through lunch can feel like you have the place to yourself and the fresh & groomer snow lasts forever.  It's the best terrain at Snowshoe for beginners.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 11, 2021
3,246 posts

Bonzski wrote:

There are 4 lifts at SC.  Cascade is the busiest because it's central to most trails and would likely be the one candidate for upgrade.  Mountaineer is next to Cascade and is typically used for late afternoon and night crowds, plus holidays.

Skiing SC mornings through lunch can feel like you have the place to yourself and the fresh & groomer snow lasts forever.  It's the best terrain at Snowshoe for beginners.

Ah, I didn't look at the trail map.  Never skied Silver Creek often enough to remember the names of the lifts.

The couple times I took my daughter as a tween for SkiSE Summits the first weekend of March, we would ski at Silver Creek in the afternoons.  Stayed there the first time.  But found that in the evenings it was much better to be at the main village to do stuff with friends.  She liked the indoor/outdoor pool at Silver Creek though.  Especially when it was snowing outside.

rbrtlav
March 15, 2021
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts
Snowshoe actually had some of the snowmaking on at the top last night (Saturday) I wasn’t expecting to see that. They still have a great base and after the rain Friday cleared ended up being a really nice weekend 
wvgumdoc
March 15, 2021
Member since 02/6/2021 🔗
2 posts
Snow was great on the Western Territory both Saturday and Sunday morning. Base has held up well, with little show thru. Sadly, it was likely the last skiing of the season for me. 😢
jimw
March 16, 2021
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts

Friday was ok after the rain stop but better on Saturday since the temps fell below freezing.

Yes the snow was great on Saturday on Shays.  Soaring Eagle was nice Sunday morning then we left.

I was glad to see they made some some snow Saturday evening.  Hope to go back this weekend...it's almost over until next season. 

Bonzski
March 29, 2021
652 posts
Saturday was the perfect spring day.  Rope drop at Western Territory but, surprisingly, the snow was very firm despite the temps in lwr 40s so after a couple laps we decided to let it bake while we enjoyed hot laps on the basin side. Spruce, Skip Jack, Grabhammer, Ballhooter were all great. Large soft moguls on Knotbumper too. 11am switched to tshirt for the rest of the day hot-lapping Cupp & Shays with a couple Arbuckle beer breaks mixed in.
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
March 30, 2021
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

Bonzski wrote:

Saturday was the perfect spring day.  Rope drop at Western Territory but, surprisingly, the snow was very firm despite the temps in lwr 40s so after a couple laps we decided to let it bake while we enjoyed hot laps on the basin side. Spruce, Skip Jack, Grabhammer, Ballhooter were all great. Large soft moguls on Knotbumper too. 11am switched to tshirt for the rest of the day hot-lapping Cupp & Shays with a couple Arbuckle beer breaks mixed in.

Sounds perfect!

Woody

April 20, 2021
1,580 posts

Decent Summer Schedule for Snowshoe

1618924075_dbazxcxpyndn.jpg 

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?