The Artist Formerly Known As Squaw Valley
7 posts
5 users
1k+ views
Leo
August 25, 2020
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts

Not trying to start a political thread or push buttons.  Just have a good laugh.  They're not sure who they are, but they're definitely not Sqaw Valley.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
August 25, 2020
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

It's a very special place.  The town where it's located is Olympic Valley and I think that's a no-brainer new name for the ski area.  The 1960 olympics at squaw were a watershed event in American skiing.  We'll see what happens.  There may be name changes within the area as well.  The 3 prominent named peaks are Squaw Peak, Emigrant Peak (ok) and Granite Chief.  One of the famous hard core runs is Broken Arrow.  For many years they didn't name runs, just the chairs, but skiers named runs and areas.  When riding lifts there you will see something so impossibly steep that no one could ever ski it, with snow impossibly plastered to it.  Then, looking a bit closer, you'll see ski tracks.  Of course every ski resort that wants to stay in business must have terrain for all levels of skiers.  They do, but they also,have stuff beyond my wildest dreams and it's usually open and available for the price of a lift ticket.  I like being at a place like that.

Shotmaker
August 25, 2020
Member since 02/18/2014 🔗
180 posts

Denis wrote:

For many years they didn't name runs, just the chairs, but skiers named runs and areas.

KT-22 one of the best chairs out there. It's great how they named runs for McKinney & Moseley 2 worthy of such recognition.

Leo
August 26, 2020
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts

I've skied there many times and it holds a special place to me as well.  I personally think a name change detracts from that, but I suppose that's old fashioned thinking and a name has nothing to do with the memories made.

The other option I see would be to incorporate the Alpine Meadows aspect.  Just call it all Alpine Meadows, or call the formerly-Squaw side Alpine Valley.  

I don't know, I wasn't disparaging the resort at all, just found it humorous that they eliminated their name without having a new one.  What do we call them in the iterim??

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
August 26, 2020 (edited August 26, 2020)
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

Leo, I smiled at your title; wasn't offended at all.  

How about "Squawlywood" a term used to poke fun by other hard core devoted locals of places like Jackson Hole, Crested Butte, snowbird, etc.  This is based on Squaw being the location for a great many extreme ski movies and the many full of themselves people in that industry.  ðŸ˜

wojo
August 26, 2020
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts

Leo wrote:

The other option I see would be to incorporate the Alpine Meadows aspect.  Just call it all Alpine Meadows, or call the formerly-Squaw side Alpine Valley.  

How 'bout a temporary name "the California Ski Resort" :-) #httr

Vermont
August 27, 2020
Member since 12/26/2019 🔗
174 posts

wojo wrote:

Leo wrote:

How 'bout a temporary name "the California Ski Resort" :-) #httr

How about Squall Valley 

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?