Deep Creek Lake, Maryland
|Vertical drop:||700 feet|
|Base elevation:||2,415 feet|
|Peak elevation:||3,115 feet|
|Longest run:||1.5 miles|
Wisp is often the first area resort to open, thanks to the unique weather patterns in western Maryland that offer plenty of snow (an average of 100” each year, reaching 208 inches during the 2002-2003 winter season) and good snowmaking conditions. Wisp’s airless snowmaking system helps the resort capture a traditional pre-Thanksgiving opening date, and with the large Deep Creek Lake adjacent to the resort, water is never in limited supply for snowmaking. Wisp has 32 trails, including the meandering 1.5-mile long Possum trail, a real treat for beginners.
On-mountain lodging is available, including a 168-unit slopeside hotel at the base area, complete with several restaurants. Hundreds of homes and condos are available for rental througout the Deep Creek Lake region.
Thanks to natural snow, there are plenty of opportunities for cross-country skiers in the Wisp area.
In 2001, Wisp was purchased by an investment group for just under $12 million. This new ownership has brought many changes to Wisp. Wisp unveiled a new snow tubing park during the 2001-2002 season, and followed up by expanding its base lodge, upgrading lifts, and adding one of the largest “Super Pipes” in the east. A significant investment was made during 2005, when Wisp opened the new North Camp expansion, adding 10 new trails and two new quad chairlifts. In 2007, Wisp added a new Mountain Coaster, which offers hair-raising rides year round. An ice skating rink was added to Wisp in 2009. In 2010, Wisp purchased two new Prinoth snow groomers.
News reports in the fall of 2011 indicated that D.C. Development LLC, the current owner of Wisp Resort, had filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection due to the challenge of selling new home sites in a depressed real estate market. This is not expected to affect ski area operations, which are planned to continue as normal for the 2011-2012 winter season.
Getting to Wisp Resort
|Wind Speed:||15 mph|
Weather supplied by the National Weather Service. Errors or reporting delays may be possible.
Today at 5 am
|Variable Conditions||8-12" base||13 of 34 trails open
5 of 16 lifts open
News about Wisp
- November 21, 2016 - Wisp has renamed its slopeside hotel the Lodge at Wisp, and is in the midst of a 3-year, $3.7 million renovation. Guests this winter will find many enhancements on the inside and outside of the on-site hotel.
- November 27, 2014 - The 2014-2015 ski season is about to kick off. While many people will be hitting the stores on Black Friday, diehard skiers and snowboarders will be pointing their cars away from the shopping malls and towards the mountains — where they’ll find a variety of ski resorts launching their winter season.
- May 31, 2014 - Depressed that the winter season is over? No worries. Mid-Atlantic ski resorts will provide plenty of activities this summer to distract you from the fact that there is no snow on the ground. Here’s a look at the summer offerings of many local resorts.
- February 17, 2014 - Jim Kenney first visited DCSki 15 years ago. He soon became an active contributor, documenting his family’s ski adventures locally and across the country. In this detailed retrospective, Jim reflects on his 15 years of writing stories for DCSki.
- December 1, 2013 - In a typical Mid-Atlantic season, ski resorts struggle to open by mid-December. This is not be a typical Mid-Atlantic season.
No future events at this time.
Forum Topics Related to Wisp
Updated 11 days ago by DEStewart01
Updated 2 months ago by Punk Wonk Mike
Updated 2 months ago by nugarp
Updated 2 months ago by Punk Wonk Mike
Updated 5 months ago by camp
Updated 11 months ago by marzNC
Updated one year ago by wgo
Updated one year ago
Updated one year ago by rbrtlav
Updated one year ago by Bonzski