Flat Top, West Virginia
|Vertical drop:||603 feet|
|Base elevation:||2,997 feet|
|Peak elevation:||3,600 feet|
|Longest run:||1.25 miles|
Winterplace Ski Resort receives an average of 100” of natural snowfall each year, and that’s not bad, given the resort’s southern location. Winterplace primarily attracts skiers and snowboarders from South Carolina, West Virginia, and Virginia. In addition to natural snow, Winterplace has excellent snowmaking, covering 100% of terrain. Winterplace has increased snowmaking capacity in recent years. Fed by a 27 million gallon reservoir, the snowmaking system is capable of pumping out 5,300 gallons of water per minute.
Winterplace offers 28 trails, serviced by 9 lifts, including two quads. Two new carpet lifts were added to the snow tubing park in 2006. The teaching area was also expanded, and is eight times larger for the 2006-2007 winter season. All trails are lit for night skiing. Vertical drop is a relatively small 603 feet, although the longest trail is 1.25 miles.
For the snowboarders, Winterplace has a terrain park, with tabletops, rails, gaps, and more.
Snow tubing was a popular addition to Winterplace several winters ago. Sixteen lanes, served by two carpet lifts, are offered. Separate tubing tickets are required for snow tubing.
Several restaurants at Winterplace offer aprés ski fun, including food and music.
In recent years, Winterplace has made significant investments in snowmaking. In 2010, Winterplace purchased 53 fully automatic SMI Polecats, bringing its total number of state-of-the-art fan guns to 88. In 2011, Winterplace added additional snowmaking equipment and widened two trails.
Getting to Winterplace Resort
|Wind Speed:||6 mph|
Weather supplied by the National Weather Service. Errors or reporting delays may be possible.
Mar 21, 2016 at 5 am
News about Winterplace
- November 27, 2014 - The 2014-2015 ski season is about to kick off. While many people will be hitting the stores on Black Friday, diehard skiers and snowboarders will be pointing their cars away from the shopping malls and towards the mountains — where they’ll find a variety of ski resorts launching their winter season.
- December 1, 2013 - In a typical Mid-Atlantic season, ski resorts struggle to open by mid-December. This is not be a typical Mid-Atlantic season.
- March 28, 2013 - Yes, you can still ski or board in the Mid-Atlantic. Several resorts have announced that they plan to remain open into early April.
- December 27, 2012 - A shot of cold air and some natural snow has helped launch the 2012-2013 winter season in a big way. Find out the status of Mid-Atlantic ski areas.
- December 7, 2011 - Mother Nature has been keeping the cold to herself so far this winter, but the arrival of snow on Wednesday has many local resorts pushing to open for the season in the next week or two.
No future events at this time.
Forum Topics Related to Winterplace
Updated one year ago by eggraid
Updated 7 years ago by GRK
Updated 7 years ago by oldensign
Updated 7 years ago by marzNC
Updated 7 years ago by snowslider
Updated 9 years ago by bawalker
Updated 10 years ago by SkiBumMSP
Updated 10 years ago by canaanman
Updated 10 years ago by Roger Z
Updated 10 years ago by pagamony