|Vertical drop:||1,003 feet|
|Base elevation:||2,512 feet|
|Peak elevation:||3,515 feet|
|Longest run:||1.4 miles|
Virginia’s Wintergreen Resort celebrated its 25th season several years ago, and although access and facilities have improved over the past 25 years, one thing has remained constant: a great location in the heart of the scenic Blue Ridge Mountains with great views.
Wintergreen Mountain peaks at 4,000 feet, bringing cool summer temperatures and helping to attract and keep snow during the winter months. The resort offers 26 slopes and trails with a respectable vertical of 1,000 feet. There are 125 skiable acres, and Wintergreen features a half-pipe for snowboarders. Wide-open beginner terrain is plentiful, along with plenty of steeps to keep the experts happy.
In the past decade, Wintergreen has spent over $20 million in capital improvements, including the installation of two six-passenger, high-speed lifts. The most recent “six pack” was added in 2004. In 2003, Wintergreen installed a state-of-the-art York computerized snowmaking system, which it has continually upgraded. In fact, Wintergreen began an additional $12 million project in 2012 to double its already impressive snowmaking capacity. 100% of Wintergreen’s terrain is covered by fully automated snowmaking.
“We can do wonderful things with it,” said Jay Roberts, Vice President of Mountain Operations. “It’s nice to have natural snow, but our snowmaking system allows us to make snow across the mountain quickly. We have the ability to start and stop snow guns from a desktop at the snowmaking plant,” he added.
Wintergreen is proud of its snowmaking system, and the quality of grooming.
“Quality is more important than quantity,” said Roberts. “You only ski on the top couple of inches. We balance the depth of our snow with the quality of our snow.”
For the 2005-2006 winter season, Wintergreen added Outer Limits, a new trail in the Highlands area. A brand new beginner area debuted at Wintergreen for the 2006-2007 winter season, featuring new beginner-friendly conveyor lifts. The Treehouse provides kids with their own ski area and 90-foot conveyor lift. For the 2010-2011 winter season, Wintergreen added Ice Skating, a new Learning Conveyor Lift, new rental equipment and more snowmaking power.
Wintergreen also has two tubing parks, including Virginia’s largest. One park offers a gentler ride, while the other offers hair-raising runs reaching 25-40 miles per hour.
Photos provided by Wintergreen Resort.
Getting to Wintergreen Resort
|Wind Speed:||17 mph|
Weather supplied by the National Weather Service. Errors or reporting delays may be possible.
Apr 7, 2015 at 8 am
News about Wintergreen
- February 14, 2015 - Connie Lawn and Charles Sneiderman recently participated in the 11th Annual Wounded Warrior Weekend at Virginia’s Wintergreen Resort. They provide this Firsthand Report.
- November 27, 2014 - The 2014-2015 ski season is about to kick off. While many people will be hitting the stores on Black Friday, diehard skiers and snowboarders will be pointing their cars away from the shopping malls and towards the mountains — where they’ll find a variety of ski resorts launching their winter season.
- May 31, 2014 - Depressed that the winter season is over? No worries. Mid-Atlantic ski resorts will provide plenty of activities this summer to distract you from the fact that there is no snow on the ground. Here’s a look at the summer offerings of many local resorts.
- April 7, 2014 - Jim Kenney checks in with an end-of-season Firsthand Report from Virginia’s Wintergreen Resort, describing the surprisingly good conditions on April 5, 2014.
- February 17, 2014 - Jim Kenney first visited DCSki 15 years ago. He soon became an active contributor, documenting his family’s ski adventures locally and across the country. In this detailed retrospective, Jim reflects on his 15 years of writing stories for DCSki.
No future events at this time.
Note: Webcam images may not be up to date.
Forum Topics Related to Wintergreen
Updated 5 months ago by wgo
Updated 6 months ago by wgo
Updated 6 months ago by bousquet19
Updated 6 months ago by bousquet19
Updated 6 months ago by Connie Lawn
Updated 6 months ago by marzNC
Updated 7 months ago by wgo
Updated 7 months ago by marzNC
Updated 8 months ago by HardcoreLooper
Updated one year ago by scottyb