|Vertical drop:||935 feet|
|Base elevation:||865 feet|
|Peak elevation:||1,800 feet|
|Longest run:||1 mile|
Located in south-central Pennsylvania, Whitetail is a comfortable 90-minute jog down I-70 from D.C. and Baltimore. Skiers and boarders will find 23 trails, a 935-foot vertical, and a high-speed quad. Whitetail is one of the youngest ski resorts in America - during the 2010-2011 winter season, Whitetail will be celebrating its 20th anniversary.
During the fall of 1999, Whitetail was purchased by Snow Time, Inc., which also owns nearby Roundtop Mountain Resort and Liberty Mountain Resort. Since then, Whitetail has invested heavily in improvements to an already great resort. Over the summer of 2002, Whitetail expanded its base lodge, added a snow tubing park, and added lighting to several expert slopes, responding directly to visitors’ wish lists. The rental building saw a significant expansion in 2005, smoothing the flow of visitors as they rent skis and snowboards. For the 2006-2007 season, Whitetail finished lighting 100% of its expert terrain; now only one intermediate trail does not have lighting. Whitetail has enhanced snowmaking through the continual addition of tower-mounted fan guns in recent years. Added to slopes such as Limelight and Exhibition, the fan guns allow slopes to open sooner than in years past.
Big changes came to Whitetail during the summer of 2008. Whitetail cut a brand new trail (its longest yet), and installed a new double chairlift specifically to service the terrain park. The new lift helped decrease crowding on Upper Angel Drop. During the summer of 2009, Whitetail added a brand new halfpipe, a new terrain park, and a new beginner adult carpet lift. The momentum continued into 2010, when Whitetail added Ledgewood, an additional new beginner trail.
Skiers at Whitetail are pampered by a modern base lodge and amenities such as free ski check. Food is reasonable, with cafeteria-style food available in the Market Place. Whitetail continues to develop a residential village that lines the Northern Lights beginner ski slope. Townhomes have already been completed, and a championship golf course was also recently added.
Getting to Whitetail Resort
|Wind Speed:||12 mph|
Weather supplied by the National Weather Service. Errors or reporting delays may be possible.
Apr 8, 2014 at 10 am
News about Whitetail
- April 7, 2014 - Connie Lawn reflects on the end of the Mid-Atlantic ski season.
- March 6, 2014 - On March 5, Connie Lawn and Charles Sneiderman swung by Pennsylvania’s Whitetail Resort for some midweek skiing. They filed this Firsthand Report.
- February 17, 2014 - Jim Kenney first visited DCSki 15 years ago. He soon became an active contributor, documenting his family’s ski adventures locally and across the country. In this detailed retrospective, Jim reflects on his 15 years of writing stories for DCSki.
- January 22, 2014 - Connie Lawn reflects on a visit to Liberty on January 20, 2014, and provides a description of adaptive winter sports programs at Pennsylvania’s Liberty and Whitetail Mountain Resorts.
- December 8, 2013 - Connie Lawn reflects on the early start to the ski season, and provides a Firsthand Report from an opening weekend trip to Pennsylvania’s Liberty Mountain Resort.
No future events at this time.
Note: Webcam images may not be up to date.
Forum Topics Related to Whitetail
Updated 20 days ago by Scott
Updated one month ago by rbrtlav
Updated one month ago by scottyb
Updated 2 months ago by powday
Updated 3 months ago by marshall
Updated 9 months ago by camp
Updated one year ago by mikev
Updated one year ago by SteveC
Updated one year ago by therusty
Updated one year ago by bousquet19