|Vertical drop:||935 feet|
|Base elevation:||865 feet|
|Peak elevation:||1,800 feet|
|Longest run:||1 mile|
Located in south-central Pennsylvania, Whitetail is a comfortable 90-minute jog down I-70 from D.C. and Baltimore. Skiers and boarders will find 23 trails, a 935-foot vertical, and a high-speed quad. Whitetail is one of the youngest ski resorts in America - during the 2010-2011 winter season, Whitetail will be celebrating its 20th anniversary.
During the fall of 1999, Whitetail was purchased by Snow Time, Inc., which also owns nearby Roundtop Mountain Resort and Liberty Mountain Resort. Since then, Whitetail has invested heavily in improvements to an already great resort. Over the summer of 2002, Whitetail expanded its base lodge, added a snow tubing park, and added lighting to several expert slopes, responding directly to visitors’ wish lists. The rental building saw a significant expansion in 2005, smoothing the flow of visitors as they rent skis and snowboards. For the 2006-2007 season, Whitetail finished lighting 100% of its expert terrain; now only one intermediate trail does not have lighting. Whitetail has enhanced snowmaking through the continual addition of tower-mounted fan guns in recent years. Added to slopes such as Limelight and Exhibition, the fan guns allow slopes to open sooner than in years past.
Big changes came to Whitetail during the summer of 2008. Whitetail cut a brand new trail (its longest yet), and installed a new double chairlift specifically to service the terrain park. The new lift helped decrease crowding on Upper Angel Drop. During the summer of 2009, Whitetail added a brand new halfpipe, a new terrain park, and a new beginner adult carpet lift. The momentum continued into 2010, when Whitetail added Ledgewood, an additional new beginner trail.
Skiers at Whitetail are pampered by a modern base lodge and amenities such as free ski check. Food is reasonable, with cafeteria-style food available in the Market Place. Whitetail continues to develop a residential village that lines the Northern Lights beginner ski slope. Townhomes have already been completed, and a championship golf course was also recently added.
Getting to Whitetail Resort
|Wind Speed:||10 mph|
Weather supplied by the National Weather Service. Errors or reporting delays may be possible.
News about Whitetail
- December 1, 2013 - In a typical Mid-Atlantic season, ski resorts struggle to open by mid-December. This is not be a typical Mid-Atlantic season.
- June 18, 2013 - Pennsylvania’s Whitetail Resort is investing $1.6 million this summer into capital improvements. These improvements will be evident upon first pulling through Whitetail’s entrance; the resort is installing new entrance signs and landscaping at its Blairs Valley Road entrance. Snowmaking improvements, and upgrades to the Whitetail Express chairlift, are also in store.
- February 20, 2013 - Connie Lawn and Charles Sneiderman visited Pennsylvania’s Whitetail Resort over the Presidents Day holiday weekend, discovering prime conditions. They provide this Firsthand Report, describing Whitetail’s Adaptive program and sharing plans for future enhancements by Whitetail General Manager Don MacAskill.
- January 4, 2013 - A midweek escape to Pennsylvania’s Whitetail Resort on Thursday revealed the perfect skiing trifecta: plenty of sun, plenty of snow, and no crowds. DCSki’s Editor provides this Firsthand Report from his first turns of the season.
- December 27, 2012 - A shot of cold air and some natural snow has helped launch the 2012-2013 winter season in a big way. Find out the status of Mid-Atlantic ski areas.
No future events at this time.
Note: Webcam images may not be up to date.
Forum Topics Related to Whitetail
Updated 4 months ago by camp
Updated 9 months ago by mikev
Updated 9 months ago by SteveC
Updated 10 months ago by therusty
Updated 11 months ago by bousquet19
Updated one year ago by djop
Updated one year ago by Business Bruce
Updated one year ago by scottyb
Updated one year ago by MephitBlue
Updated one year ago by Laurel Hill Crazie