|Vertical drop:||935 feet|
|Base elevation:||865 feet|
|Peak elevation:||1,800 feet|
|Longest run:||1 mile|
Located in south-central Pennsylvania, Whitetail is a comfortable 90-minute jog down I-70 from D.C. and Baltimore. Skiers and boarders will find 23 trails, a 935-foot vertical, and a high-speed quad. Whitetail’s convenient location to D.C. also means skiers and boarders will often find crowds — on weekends and holidays, Whitetail’s slopes can become as crowded and intimidating as the Washington Beltway during rush hour. On non-holiday weekdays, visitors will find fewer crowds and safer conditions.
During the fall of 1999, Whitetail was purchased by Snow Time, Inc., which also owns nearby Roundtop Mountain Resort and Liberty Mountain Resort. Since then, Whitetail has invested heavily in improvements to an already great resort. Over the summer of 2002, Whitetail expanded its base lodge, added a snow tubing park, and added lighting to several expert slopes, responding directly to visitors’ wish lists. The rental building saw a significant expansion in 2005, smoothing the flow of visitors as they rent skis and snowboards. For the 2006-2007 season, Whitetail finished lighting 100% of its expert terrain; now only one intermediate trail does not have lighting. Whitetail has enhanced snowmaking through the continual addition of tower-mounted fan guns in recent years. Added to slopes such as Limelight and Exhibition, the fan guns allow slopes to open sooner than in years past.
Big changes came to Whitetail during the summer of 2008. Whitetail cut a brand new trail (its longest yet), and installed a new double chairlift specifically to service the terrain park. The new lift helped decrease crowding on Upper Angel Drop. During the summer of 2009, Whitetail added a brand new halfpipe, a new terrain park, and a new beginner adult carpet lift. The momentum continued into 2010, when Whitetail added Ledgewood, an additional new beginner trail. Since then, the resort has continued to invest in snowmaking improvements.
Skiers at Whitetail are pampered by a modern base lodge and amenities such as free ski check. Food is reasonable, with cafeteria-style food available in the Market Place. Whitetail continues to develop a residential village that lines the Northern Lights beginner ski slope. Townhomes have already been completed, and a championship golf course was also recently added.
Getting to Whitetail Resort
|Wind Speed:||5 mph|
Weather supplied by the National Weather Service. Errors or reporting delays may be possible.
Nov 23, 2015 at 8 am
|-" base|| of 25 trails open
of 9 lifts open
News about Whitetail
- November 16, 2015 - It’s not too easy to run a ski resort in the Mid-Atlantic. Some winters bring banner amounts of snow, while others bring 70-degree days in the middle of January. With natural snow a wild card for all but the highest-elevation resorts, local ski areas live or die based on the amount of artificial snow they can make — and that requires low temperatures and low humidity. With another El Niño weather pattern settling into place, long-range forecasts suggest this could be a challenging winter for many Mid-Atlantic skiers and resorts.
- September 19, 2015 - It’s Fall, which means the ski season is just around the corner. Numerous resorts and ski shops throughout the Mid-Atlantic region offer “Ski Swaps” during the Fall, providing a chance to buy or sell used snowsports equipment. DCSki takes a look at some upcoming Swaps.
- May 31, 2015 - A busy winter season has led directly into a busy summer season at Pennsylvania’s Whitetail Resort. The ski area has already begun its capital improvement program for the 2015-2016 winter season. Before next fall, $2.5 million will be spent on various upgrades and enhancements.
- February 12, 2015 - DCSki’s Editor made his first turns of the season at Pennsylvania’s Whitetail Resort. Visiting Whitetail on a mid-winter, mid-week day was the perfect choice: crowds were non-existent and the slopes were in great shape. He provides this Firsthand Report and pictures from the day and night.
- January 11, 2015 - Connie Lawn stopped by Whitetail Resort on Friday, January 9, 2015. She provides this Firsthand Report.
No future events at this time.
Note: Webcam images may not be up to date.
Forum Topics Related to Whitetail
Updated 6 months ago by rbrtlav
Updated 8 months ago by rbrtlav
Updated 9 months ago by rbrtlav
Updated 9 months ago by Blue Don 1982
Updated 9 months ago by wfyurasko
Updated 9 months ago by JohnL
Updated 10 months ago by Antoine
Updated 10 months ago by Connie Lawn
Updated 11 months ago by bousquet19
Updated one year ago by Antoine