|Vertical drop:||935 feet|
|Base elevation:||865 feet|
|Peak elevation:||1,800 feet|
|Longest run:||1 mile|
Located in south-central Pennsylvania, Whitetail is a comfortable 90-minute jog down I-70 from D.C. and Baltimore. Skiers and boarders will find 23 trails, a 935-foot vertical, and a high-speed quad. Whitetail is one of the youngest ski resorts in America - during the 2010-2011 winter season, Whitetail will be celebrating its 20th anniversary.
During the fall of 1999, Whitetail was purchased by Snow Time, Inc., which also owns nearby Roundtop Mountain Resort and Liberty Mountain Resort. Since then, Whitetail has invested heavily in improvements to an already great resort. Over the summer of 2002, Whitetail expanded its base lodge, added a snow tubing park, and added lighting to several expert slopes, responding directly to visitors’ wish lists. The rental building saw a significant expansion in 2005, smoothing the flow of visitors as they rent skis and snowboards. For the 2006-2007 season, Whitetail finished lighting 100% of its expert terrain; now only one intermediate trail does not have lighting. Whitetail has enhanced snowmaking through the continual addition of tower-mounted fan guns in recent years. Added to slopes such as Limelight and Exhibition, the fan guns allow slopes to open sooner than in years past.
Big changes came to Whitetail during the summer of 2008. Whitetail cut a brand new trail (its longest yet), and installed a new double chairlift specifically to service the terrain park. The new lift helped decrease crowding on Upper Angel Drop. During the summer of 2009, Whitetail added a brand new halfpipe, a new terrain park, and a new beginner adult carpet lift. The momentum continued into 2010, when Whitetail added Ledgewood, an additional new beginner trail.
Skiers at Whitetail are pampered by a modern base lodge and amenities such as free ski check. Food is reasonable, with cafeteria-style food available in the Market Place. Whitetail continues to develop a residential village that lines the Northern Lights beginner ski slope. Townhomes have already been completed, and a championship golf course was also recently added.
Getting to Whitetail Resort
|Wind Speed:||14 mph|
Weather supplied by the National Weather Service. Errors or reporting delays may be possible.
Jan 30, 2015 at 5 am
|Machine Groomed||40-45" base||23 of 25 trails open
8 of 9 lifts open
News about Whitetail
- January 11, 2015 - Connie Lawn stopped by Whitetail Resort on Friday, January 9, 2015. She provides this Firsthand Report.
- November 27, 2014 - The 2014-2015 ski season is about to kick off. While many people will be hitting the stores on Black Friday, diehard skiers and snowboarders will be pointing their cars away from the shopping malls and towards the mountains — where they’ll find a variety of ski resorts launching their winter season.
- October 26, 2014 - Connie Lawn and Charles Sneiderman swung by Liberty Mountain’s Annual Fall Festival on October 19, 2014. They provide this Firsthand Report.
- October 19, 2014 - Cool temperatures. A landscape full of golden hues. Fall has arrived, bringing a fantastic display of foliage and the promise of a ski season just around the corner.
- September 3, 2014 - Whitetail is spending $2.5 million in capital improvements this summer, modernizing snowmaking on the Angel Drop trail, expanding the Kid’s Mountain Camp facility, and more.
No future events at this time.
Note: Webcam images may not be up to date.
Forum Topics Related to Whitetail
Updated 13 days ago by Antoine
Updated 20 days ago by Connie Lawn
Updated one month ago by bousquet19
Updated 2 months ago by Antoine
Updated 10 months ago by Scott
Updated 10 months ago by rbrtlav
Updated 10 months ago by scottyb
Updated 11 months ago by powday
Updated one year ago by marshall
Updated one year ago by camp